Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do dog rocks work?

(34 Posts)
Dragonfly1 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:15:59

Didn't know whether to put this thread in pets or garden so keeping it general. Have any dog-owning granspals ever tried dog rocks to stop their dogs' urine scalding the lawn? Are they safe/effective? Or does anyone have any other tips - other than keeping the mutt off the lawn?

Mishap Tue 11-Mar-14 16:20:09

Dog rocks!!!???? - the mind boggles! Do you cover the lawn with them or insert them somewhere on said dog!!??

Dragonfly1 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:21:30

Oh bless you! They sit in the dog's water bowl. Although your insertion idea would probably work!

Ariadne Tue 11-Mar-14 17:28:52

Oh, what a pity! We have an open front lawn, and, while most of the local dog owners are meticulous about clearing up after their dogs, some clearly don't, and I am furious at having to clear up after them! I like dogs, so wouldn't want to hurt one, but I have been driven to sprinkling garlic powder on the cleaned up bits. Thought a few "dog rocks" might do the trick. Ah well.

Brendawymms Tue 11-Mar-14 17:43:03

I have not find they are much good, well they did not work for our male dog.

Mishap Tue 11-Mar-14 17:45:45

Or do you throw them at any dog that dares to pee on the lawn?!

annodomini Tue 11-Mar-14 17:47:23

What's your aim like, Ariadne? How about a catapult?.

Galen Tue 11-Mar-14 17:47:25

My dd wants something that stops cats using her garden as a toilet. Especially as DGD plays there!

Deedaa Tue 11-Mar-14 19:50:57

We used to rely on following our dog round with a watering can in the hope of diluting it enough to stop the scalding, but I can't really claim that it worked. Galen if I knew a way to stop cats I'd use it on my own confused

Tegan Tue 11-Mar-14 20:05:02

I've heard that putting tomato ketchup on their food works as well. I've just sectioned off part of the garden for my dog [she'd destroy everything if I let her onto the bit with flowers in anyway].

grannyisland Tue 11-Mar-14 20:20:00

When we moved into this house I found several bottles of water placed in the garden and was perplexed until a neighbour told me it was to deter the cats. I can't say how effective it was, but wasn't aware of excavating any mess!

BlueBelle Tue 11-Mar-14 20:33:09

sorry to be so daft but still don't get it,- how do rocks in a dog bowl stop it peeing on the lawn???

I cant find ANYTHING to keep the stupid cats from pooing in my garden tried the lemonade bottle thing stuff bought at garden centres to put on the garden, a sonic noise a pretend cat thing, orange peel .........

Galen Tue 11-Mar-14 20:42:51

Coffee grounds work to a certain extent.

Aka Tue 11-Mar-14 20:56:05

It doesn't stop them weeing Blue but it's supposed to alter the acidity if the urine or something so it doesn't burn the grass. Bitches' urine is the worst. It doesn't work in my experience.

Buy an electronic cat scarer. My front garden is now cat poo free and they cross the back at their peril as I have two dogs.

Dragonfly1 Tue 11-Mar-14 21:35:42

Thanks all. Looks like we're stuck with the problem of scorched bits.

Aka Tue 11-Mar-14 22:13:14

I'm sure someone I knew solved this problem. I'll think on and if I remember who it was I'll feed back. Have you asked your vet perhaps??

Dragonfly1 Tue 11-Mar-14 22:24:56

Thanks Aka. Haven't asked vet about dog rocks, no. Next time we're there I'll mention it.

Agus Tue 11-Mar-14 23:21:37

I used to put a tiny amount of vinegar in the dog's water bowl to water down the acid in their urine. Safely recommended by two vets. The bitches, especially, were burning so much of the grass we were having to re-seed every year.

Agus Tue 11-Mar-14 23:24:55

Re-seed the patches, not the whole garden grin

absent Tue 11-Mar-14 23:45:21

Agus Vinegar is acid (it contains acetic acid), not alkaline.

DebnCreme Wed 12-Mar-14 00:00:02

My dog has used water treated in this way for over a year now and there has been an improvement. Don't know if this was a fluke or better weather conditions but I shall continue to use the dog rocks.

Agus Wed 12-Mar-14 00:36:05

Absent of course vinegar is acid. Don't know what I was thinking. Should have said vinegar neutralises the ammonia.

BlueBelle Wed 12-Mar-14 08:06:47

Thanks for the explanation and the electric cat scarers don't work for me I m afraid my advice would be don't waste your money

Aka Wed 12-Mar-14 08:13:30

BB mine only cost £13 and they work a treat for me. Only problem the grandchildren can hear them though adults can't and complain about the loud noise.

PS I read the reviews carefully before choosing

Aka Wed 12-Mar-14 08:14:31

Of course it's ammonia in urine not acid .. having senior moment.