Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone had a broken wrist/arm?

(35 Posts)
squaredog Tue 03-Jun-14 08:45:00

Oh dear, although I have friends who 'offer', someone to take me for my big shop once a week, after just 3 weeks, I'm feeling the loss of my independence, (I'm a car driving singleton), my ability to sew, craft, paint, and open a soddin' bottle!

I've rejoined the local library and am thinking of giving the reading club a go, I will try the bus when I feel a little more secure (do they ever let you sit down before starting up again?), and bloody whoe is me.......

I'm such a cheery person, no really I am, so please, if anyone has any ideas for not going completely stir-crazy, let me know.

I also realise, this has been sent to test my patience. Mmmmmm

J52 Tue 03-Jun-14 09:18:18

Great sympathies, how dreadful for you. A couple of years ago I broke the top of my arm, the ball bit. Apart from the pain, it made life very difficult. I cannot imagine how you are managing on your own. Which arm is it.
As you seem to be able to tap on the computer , how about computer Scrabble/ chess?
It does take months to get back to full force. I found that really 'going for' the physio exercises helped enormously. I was lucky and our local hospital had an Arm Gym physio session, all ages with different arm injuries. Ask if your hospital / clinic does the same.
Good luck I hope you recover soon. X

Marelli Tue 03-Jun-14 09:37:00

I broke my trapezium in my right wrist a few years ago, and was off work for the duration of its healing, as I had to do lots of writing in my job at that time. My hair was long (as it is now), but I wore it up most of the time. I asked DH to try to plait it for me, but he was 'like a coo wi' a gun' as they say round these parts. Friend couldn't plait either, but her DH could, so he did it for me - very tightly! I looked like Beryl the Peril grin
Getting back to your post, squaredog, I found that I read, read and read. There was little else that I was able to do - apart from outdoor activities like walking and a bit of gardening. Hope you get round this somehow - it must be so frustrating for you. flowers

janeainsworth Tue 03-Jun-14 09:38:09

Squaredog I broke my wrist 11 years ago and it's certainly an experience I don't want to repeat, to the point of being hyper-anxious about going out in snowy/icy conditions, which is how I managed to fall.
Like you I hated the loss of independence, having to ask my daughter to drive me here and there.
I was irritated by having to write with my left hand and doing my hair and putting on makeup almost impossible.
No helpful suggestions really, apart from reading, looking things up on the computer and perhaps there's a long-standing job at home you could do that doesn't involve both hands, like sorting through clothes/book/ other possessions?
I would re-iterate J52's advice re the physio. I worked with my hands and was desperate that there wouldn't be any long-term effects, and obeyed the physio's instructions to the letter and then some. I tried to use my right hand as much as possible even when the plaster was still on, squeezing things and doing piano-playing type movements to maintain mobility.
I think it paid off because a week after the plaster was taken off, the physio was amazed at how well I had recovered.
Good luck flowers

AlieOxon Tue 03-Jun-14 10:02:05

I broke my right wrist Christmas 2010, on ice. It has taken until this year to really be able to use it much, as it wasn't set straight and has healed short.
An awkward break I'm aware, but I think they could have done better.

Yes I had physio, but the exercises they gave me focused in the wrist and left my forearm very weak. You don't realise until it's happened!
The best thing I have done for it is to use that arm to pull myself up the stairs when I hurt my back!

Computer has been a boon!

Mishap Tue 03-Jun-14 11:08:45

Have I ever broken my arm?! - yes, 5 times!!!! - I started when I was 18 months old and did not look back!

It is such an annoyance and a frustration and I send lots of good wishes. Have you got a kindle? - load it up and lie back and enjoy it - this too will pass!

Agus Tue 03-Jun-14 11:55:26

Not an arm or wrist but have spent the last three months housebound recovering from a broken back. I am a very independent always on the go type and this has been a nightmare. I have a clinic appointment tomorrow and I really hope I get the all clear to start driving again. I am hopeless at asking for help but extremely fortunate that DH is a very capable man as he took over everything that needed to be done.

Thank god for iPad, kindle, books, Netflix and.....morphine��

Not too confident going out which has come as a bit of a shock to me and the feeling vulnerable I'm sure will all pass in time as I get stronger.

I think we will just have to be patient squaredog and use this time as Marelli did and read, read, read. Now that isn't a hardship ��

Keep your chin up. flowers

squaredog Tue 03-Jun-14 13:57:47

Thank you all.

Always comforting to know we're not alone.

I must admit, the library was a pleasant suprise..........

PS. Even the dog today, appears to have pulled a ligament and is limping. What a duo!

rockgran Wed 04-Jun-14 09:26:51

You have my sympathy. I recently sprained my knee - not major or very long lasting - but painful and limiting. I now have such sympathy for the long term injured or in pain. I didn't fully appreciate how difficult and very tiring the simplest activities become. Never again will I take walking up and down stairs for granted or how many steps you take just making a meal or putting away the washing. I've had a taste of what "older" old age might be like. As they say, it isn't for sissies. Thank goodness for my computer.

HollyDaze Wed 04-Jun-14 14:37:45

^ I didn't fully appreciate how difficult and very tiring the simplest activities become. Never again will I take walking up and down stairs for granted or how many steps you take just making a meal or putting away the washing. I've had a taste of what "older" old age might be like. As they say, it isn't for sissies.^

Absolutely.

I have bursitis in my right thigh (which is now untreatable), from digging in the garden, and it certainly brings it home to you just how much we demand from our bodies on a daily basis. It's been three years and I still tut and curse sometimes!

I wish you a speedy recovery squaredog smile

Galen Wed 04-Jun-14 14:44:19

Dislocated right shoulder. Very difficult I agree.

MiceElf Wed 04-Jun-14 15:08:06

Yes, broken wrist and broken elbow six years later. Painful and soooo limiting, and I was fortunate enough to have a very helpful husband. I did lots of reading, wasted time on the Internet, weeded with one hand, ironed with one hand and got quite cross and fed up. When it's healed make sure you get a bone scan as it may be a sign of osteoporosis and then you should take medication to help.

MiceElf Wed 04-Jun-14 15:11:28

Mind, when I was in the hospital there was a woman opposite who had tripped over her grandson and fallen down the stairs. She had two broken wrists and a broken collar bone. She was very brave but poor lady had to have pretty much everything done for her. She was a retired hospital administrator and said it was an eye opener to be a patient.

Granali Wed 04-Jun-14 16:47:42

Being right handed and with a broken right wrist I spent time learning to do my usual hobbies/intetssts with my left hand. For me that was writing; watercolour painting;baking. Took times as long butoutcomes were ok and has been a useful skill since when my old break is aching

cangran Wed 04-Jun-14 16:48:58

I broke my left wrist (simple fall on path outside the house, wearing shoes that I discovered were lethally slippery when wet) six years ago. I was running a business on my own and had to type - did it awkwardly with only my right hand - and got RSI in that hand! It was a difficult time. I don't have a close relationship with my husband and was determined to be as independent as possible. I did the physio exercises religiously and, as soon as I could, went back to my Pilates class. I think both helped a lot in recovering full use of the wrist.

MiceElf made a v. good point about asking for (if you haven't been offered already) a bone density scan to check for osteoporosis. I had one and was diagnosed a few months after the break and then started treatment for it. So far, touch wood, no further breaks. My son now works in the business (I still potter) and I don't feel nearly so vulnerable as I did.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Agus Wed 04-Jun-14 17:05:43

Good advice MiceElf. I had my clinic appointment today, given the all clear to drive again after 3 months. Oh, to be mobile again! The clinic gave me the opportunity to have a bone scan to which I agreed and they gave me an appointment to have this done next month. Osteoporosis is common in females post menopause and the site of any injury is weakened after a fracture in over 60's.

I nursed in orthopaedics and it was an eye opener for me too seeing how certain procedures have advanced. ie instead of weeks in plaster cast I was discharged after 5 days and allowed home with a brace.

henetha Wed 04-Jun-14 18:22:22

Enormous sympathy for you, squaredog. As another car driving singleton, I send you my very best wishes. My sprained wrist last year was bad enough.
I hope you get better very soon. Meanwhile, reading, television, computer,
inviting friends in for coffee and chat, radio, crossword puzzles etc. Phone calls to famiy and friends.... I hope you manage to stay sane.
Get well soon. All the best.

AAAHappyMan Wed 04-Jun-14 21:03:15

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Ana Wed 04-Jun-14 21:39:39

Very helpful...hmm

AAAHappyMan Wed 04-Jun-14 22:30:21

Thank you, Ana.
If I can help somebody, as I pass along,
Then my living will not be in vain.

Soutra Wed 04-Jun-14 22:35:12

An interesting theory - if you have not helped somebody, then does the opposite obtain?

AAAHappyMan Wed 04-Jun-14 22:46:55

It ain't a Theory - it's a Song !
You youngsters !

Soutra Wed 04-Jun-14 23:00:15

I think most people know that - Duh! But my response to your unsympathetic and unhelpful comments remains the same.

flowers squaredog and sympathy - you deserve no less!

AAAHappyMan Thu 05-Jun-14 00:52:22

Soutra Wed 04-Jun-14 23:00:15
... my response to your unsympathetic and unhelpful comments ....
Eeee, lass - tha'd not last long in god's awn takin' laik that'n wen tha' meant ta say wot tha's just say'd.
Soutra - were'n't 'e lad wot wrote fu't' Black Dyke Mill 'n Grimethorpe Colliery?
Aye - John Philip they cal'd 'im - grand lad ! Were 'e yer Gran'feather, 'appen?

Stansgran Thu 05-Jun-14 10:28:01

Does Google translate Yorkshire?