Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I'm one; Anyone else? an O.. F...

(44 Posts)
Nytsom Sat 31-Jan-15 13:04:13

Pleased to be one!

Old Fart Pride!

I never really liked the terminology "Old Farts" but this makes me feel better about it.
And if you aren't one, I'll bet you know one!
I got this from an "Old Fart" friend of mine!

OLD FART PRIDE
I'm passing this on as I did not want to be the only 'old fart' receiving it. Actually, it's not a bad thing to be called, as you will see.
Old Farts are easy to spot at sporting events; during the playing of the National Anthem, Old Farts remove their caps and stand at attention and sing without embarrassment. They know the words and believe in them.
Old Farts remember World War II, Pearl Harbour , Guadalcanal , Normandy and Hitler. They remember the Atomic Age, the Korean War, The Cold War, the Jet Age and the Moon Landing. They remember the 50 plus Peacekeeping Missions from 1945 to 2005, not to mention Vietnam .
If you bump into an Old Fart on the sidewalk he will apologize. If you pass an Old Fart on the street, he will nod or tip his cap to a lady. Old Farts trust strangers and are polite, particularly to women.
Old Farts hold the door for the next person and always, when walking, make certain the lady is on the inside for protection.
Old Farts get embarrassed if someone curses in front of women and children and they don't like any filth or dirty language on TV or in movies.
Old Farts have moral courage and personal integrity. They seldom brag unless it's about their children or grandchildren.
It's the Old Farts who know our great country is protected, not by politicians, but by the young men and women in the Air Force, Army, Navy and RCMP, serving their country.

This country needs Old Farts with their work ethic, sense of responsibility, pride in their country and decent values.

We need them now more than ever.

Thank Goodness for Old Farts!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 31-Jan-15 13:19:03

Is it a coincidence that on one thread we are talking lentils and the next old farts?

(sorry)

Ariadne Sat 31-Jan-15 13:19:43

Oh dear! While not wishing in any way to denigrate the achievements or ethics of some men in a certain age group, is not the preceding adjective to Old Fart usually "boring"? QED here.

Ariadne Sat 31-Jan-15 13:20:44

Cari grin

hildajenniJ Sat 31-Jan-15 13:40:02

I appear to be living with one of these! And yes, quite frankly he is boring, but I wouldn't have him any other way. smile

Nytsom Sat 31-Jan-15 13:43:29

Is that how you OLD LADIES see us Gents?

I'm so glad I'm not related to any of you!

henetha Sat 31-Jan-15 13:46:10

I think I prefer boring Old Farts to some members of our species these days.

glammanana Sat 31-Jan-15 13:52:22

I wonder what makes the OP think we are old ladies ? hmm

Jane10 Sat 31-Jan-15 13:59:35

What are old lady farts called? I aspire to be one.

Retiredguy Sat 31-Jan-15 14:04:45

Born post-war (WW2) I much prefer "Boomers".
Have been called a Boring Old Fart though.
It wasn't meant as a compliment, some undergraduates can be more forthcoming than ever they are diplomatic.
sad

Retiredguy Sat 31-Jan-15 14:06:55

Jane10.
Aren't lady farts referred to as
"Shooting Bunnies"?

Ariadne Sat 31-Jan-15 14:08:32

You know what, nytsom? The feeling (mine) is mutual. grin

thatbags Sat 31-Jan-15 14:14:02

I don't like your patronising attitude to women, You Old Fart! If you tip your cap to women, then tip it to men too. And, thank you, I don't need or want to be "on the inside for protection" (protection from what, btw?). So you can stuff your old fartiness in your pipe and smoke it, laddie. Sooner yous all die out the better, I say.

My name's Grumpy.

FarNorth Sat 31-Jan-15 14:28:39

Well said, Grumpy!

merlotgran Sat 31-Jan-15 14:36:07

Some of the nicest men I've ever had the pleasure to meet have tipped their cap/hat at me, walked on the outside of the pavement and held a door open for me.

I think it's a shame they're dying out. Nothing wrong with good manners and consideration.

thatbags Sat 31-Jan-15 14:44:18

I've no objection to anyone tipping their cap at me. My father tipped his cap but he tipped it to everyone, not just women. He also regarded me as a proper adult once I was one and although always polite, did not patronise me with more "protection" on the street than any other adult would need.

I've no problem with good manners and consideration for others, but I believe egalitarianism is just as important and is, in fact, the most considerate option that exists because those who aspire to it treat everyone with the same respectful manners and consideration, whatever their gender and whatever their age.

thatbags Sat 31-Jan-15 14:47:30

Most men don't wear hats nowadays anyway and those who do seem to wear beanies, which aren't so tippable as caps. A nod of the head and a smile work well, I find.

thatbags Sat 31-Jan-15 14:48:05

And it works for both sexes.

Which is my point.

vampirequeen Sat 31-Jan-15 14:49:58

I don't like the term 'old farts'. To me they're just gentlemen.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 14:50:26

OMG!!! They don't do that as well do they? shock. (lentils that is)

Retiredguy Sat 31-Jan-15 14:53:50

I was brought up to always walk on the outside if walking out with my gran, mum or aunts.
Gran reckoned it was something to do with keeping the man's sword arm free so that he could draw his sword and defend the lady.
I've often wondered how that worked for left handed men.
I don't tip my ( flat) cap as it has been carefully trained to remain in place on my pate.
A forefinger to the brim 'salute' suffices and that irrespective of gender.

soontobe Sat 31-Jan-15 15:19:43

I like the op.

But am a bit aghast at "Old Farts trust strangers"
No no no. Trust has to be earned.
Trusting strangers means you are far more likely to be conned or worse.
I am all for chatting strangers on the bus, plane, in a coffee shop.
But a general trusting of strangers can be dangerous.

Ana Sat 31-Jan-15 15:22:20

I thought men used to walk on the outside to protect women from being splashed by a passing coach and horses!

Ana Sat 31-Jan-15 15:22:52

(If the road was wet or muddy, of course...)

grumppa Sat 31-Jan-15 15:35:53

Having been rigorously brought up to walk on the outside I find it slightly uncomfortable not to. But I suppose my discomfort is as nothing compared with feminist principles.