Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

visits not allowed

(119 Posts)
lizzyr Tue 31-Mar-15 15:35:33

Last August I started a discussion about not being allowed to visit my grandson. Most rteplies thought is was PND and tiredness after birth. 6 months later and nothing is changed. My partner could see it was having an effect on me so emailed my Grandson asking what was going on. The answer came back was that we were imagining something that wasn't there.
Well we still can't visit. They came over for the day last Xmas Other than that we have seen him 4 times when we have met for a bite to eat. They live 45 mins away by car and we have offered to look after him whilst they work.
My son often has to take home on his deliveries. To think he would rather expose hime to danger on the roads, feed him in motorway services ( 5 miles from where I live) and change him in toilets rather than let me look after him.
I have resigned myself to not knowing this grandson. I will not be inviting them next Christmas or any other time. I will not offer to look after him again. I will not ask to visit. The next move is theirs. I no longer yearn to see my Grandson as I have never been able to build a relationship with him. You may think I am hard hearted but it is the only way I have been able to come to terms with the situation.

rosequartz Wed 01-Apr-15 10:00:54

Good advice Mishap and lots of others.

They obviously feel very strongly about creating a close bond with their baby and perhaps are against the idea of anyone but themselves taking care of him.

From reading your OP lizzyr you have seen your DGC five or six times in 8 months and that seems quite reasonable and not a reason to email and ask what is going on.

I hope they can manage to come over at Easter to visit and I hope you can smile, give them a good time and not pressurise them about future meetups - just say how lovely it has been and that you hope to see them again 'soon'.

Hope it goes well, relax and enjoy it.

RedheadedMommy Wed 01-Apr-15 09:56:50

I actually really like gransnet.
It's great for looking at things from a nans point of view.
It's lovely to read how much love you have for grandchildren. It's also horrible to read how many grandparents have been cut of for no reason.

I wish my MIL would come on here and see what she's missing out on.

Mishap Wed 01-Apr-15 09:43:42

Lizzy - I too hope they take you up on the invitation, and I think you need to do a lot of thinking before then, if they do come. But please remember your invitation comes at quite short notice and they may have made other arrangements already - do not assume they are getting at you if they are unable to come - do not see it as a "test" for them.

When you see them, try and imagine those things that might make them want to back off - I have outlined some in my last post. Just make them welcome - do not try and hold the baby unless invited to do so; give no advice; express no grievance. Take every opportunity to bolster their egos as parents; criticise nothing; suggest nothing. Just enjoy with no strings. It can be a joy to watch ones own children developing as adults and honing up their parenting skills - they do not always do it our way, but I have learned much from my children as I watch them looking after their own.

If things improve and your GS dos eventually spend some time with you on his own, then reassure them that you will follow THEIR rules; ask for details of his routine and how they might want him treated in different situations. Do not be tempted to do it right (i.e. your way) for once while you have him.

It is only by accepting their rules and their parenting ways, and backing them up with encouragement and approval, that you will get this thing back on track.

The underlying criticism in some of your posts will not be lost on them, and is the last thing they need. If your son chooses to take this little lad around with him, and give him wide experiences (like eating in a motorway service station) then that is absolutely and unquestionably fine and it is not your place to criticise. You may not have done it that way, but that is their way - and he is their son, so that is fine.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Apr-15 09:39:14

Oooh yes! tbugrin

RedheadedMommy Wed 01-Apr-15 09:35:44

Am I that obvious?

wink

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Apr-15 09:34:01

Ah Readheadedmommy! You're a Mumsnetter!

Could you not find your way back? tbushock

AshTree Wed 01-Apr-15 09:31:46

Yes, all the best for Easter lizzie. You've done all you can and whatever the outcome, just eat some chocolate because it's impossible to be unhappy with chocolate in your mouth tbuwink

annodomini Wed 01-Apr-15 09:31:14

I live several hours by road or rail from both sets of GC. I go as often as it's practicable which isn't more than monthly and sometimes with longer gaps. But we have a great relationship when I do see them. I've been on holiday with one family many times. They have so many weekend commitments now they are older, that it would be virtually impossible for them to visit me which is sad, but inevitable. A distant granny can still be a special, loved and loving granny. And there are so many other grans whose GC live half a world away but still maintain a relationship. Don't give up for a matter of 45 minutes - Christmas will still be there, ever year.

Elegran Wed 01-Apr-15 09:31:01

Lizzyr You have a post on "Surrogate grandparents wanted!!" describing the kind of grandparents you remember. They were very hands on, and I can understand you wanting to repeat the experience' but each family is different - it may take a lot of patience and gentle persistence in inviting them and phoning them, (but without complaining) to have more contact. Take it slowly - softly softly catchee monkey.

RedheadedMommy Wed 01-Apr-15 09:30:11

I really hope they take they up on the invite lizzy. At least you can say you have tried smile

Mishap Wed 01-Apr-15 09:30:03

Lizzy has come onto this site and presumably expected people to have some opinion on the subject that might prove useful to her in dealing with the situation.

Some of us are counselling caution and trying to help her to see that if she digs her heels in, as she says she planned at the start of this thread , there is likely to be a very sad outcome.

From her original thread, it was clear that her wishes were not necessarily reasonable. She wanted to look after the child on his own, take him out on her own, have him to stay etc., all of which I would have found threatening as a DIL at this early stage. I did none of this with my own GC until they were considerably older.

I am suggesting that she should talk to her son and DIL and acknowledge that these desires were OTT and that she can see that this might not have felt very comfortable to them. She needs to rethink her wishes and convey to them that she understands their position.

My fear is that she does not understand and still feels that she should have these "rights".

RedheadedMommy Wed 01-Apr-15 09:28:51

I have 2 daughters.

I had a nan who never bothered with me and a nan that would do anything for me. Im seeing her today actually! [Grinn]

My daughters have 2 sets of grandparents.
1 set would walk over hot coal for them. They are loving, respectful and kind.

1 set who just can't be arsed. It's their way or no way. They are rude, disrespectfull and selfish.

Turning into grandparents didn't make them like that. They have all ways been that way, both sets. Having grand children doesn't automatically make you a good or bad person.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Apr-15 09:28:05

I hope you have a happy Easter too lizzie. tbusmile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Apr-15 09:27:20

Elegran "I think she wants to be a matriarch."

Oh God. Anything but that. It usually involves a lot of cooking. hmm grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Apr-15 09:25:36

Oh, and did I mention that in those days they lived an hour and twenty minutes away, most of it round the M25?

lizzyr Wed 01-Apr-15 09:25:27

Thank you all fromboth camps. Is is good to hear both sides as we are so different in some things and so similar in others. We all have the same goal , what is best for our children and grandchildren.The Easter invite has gone. Hope we all have a good Easter.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Apr-15 09:24:51

My favourite memories of my two are, the moment DGS1 was carried through the door of my house by his dad and placed into my arms, and the picture I have in my head of DGS2 having his after lunch nap on our sofa snuggly under my crochet blanket.

Some impersonal cafe or restaurant just wouldn't have been the same. Not by a long, long chalk.

Elegran Wed 01-Apr-15 09:23:28

I think she wants to be a matriarch.

Elegran Wed 01-Apr-15 09:22:02

I too was wondering where gillybob's "deliberately want to keep grandchildren and grandparents apart" came from. She is not being banned from seeing him, she just wishes she could see more.

It sounds to me as though Lizzie's version of how often and how deeply to connect with him is not the same as his parents'. In that situation someone is going to have to feel either frustrated or pressurised and uncomfortable.

There are ways of staying in touch which do not involve imposing her own ideas of whether his father should feed him in service stations and whether she should look after him while his parents work.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Apr-15 09:20:08

How many grandchildren do you have Readheadedmommy?

RedheadedMommy Wed 01-Apr-15 09:13:24

Gillybob, not all grandparents are sweet, nurturing and lovely people. Trust me. Sometimes it's the in the child's best interest for their not to a relationship.

RedheadedMommy Wed 01-Apr-15 09:09:30

I completely agree that children benefit from having a relationship with their grandparents.

But 1) The child is only 8 months, if that.
2) She does see her grandson. She is seeing him and having a relationship with him.

It's coming across as it's either lizzies way or no way. There isn't much mention of visting each other, just lizzie wanting to look after him by herself.

The traveling is obviously the issue as they meet half way to have food.
Maybe they think travelling for that length of time to stop for an hour or so is a bit pointless.
Maybe they are keeping you at arms length because you keep asking to see them more and they feel guilty. Maybe they find you a bit smothering.

Thatbags is right. Maybe maybe maybe, we just don't know, but we know you are seeing your DGC, not weekly but you are seeing him. If you want to cut contact because you're not getting your own way, the only person who will be hurt is you.

thatbags Wed 01-Apr-15 09:07:17

It doesn't aound to me from the OP's posts that the parents of the baby in question do "want to keep grandparents and grandchildren apart". The parents are apparently happy with short meet-ups. We don't know why that is so we shouldn't assume it's because of any ill feeling towards the grandparents. There is any number of other reasons why the current situation suits the parents best, none of which we actually know. Safest, and kindest, to assume their reasons are just fine and they are not doing anything wrong.

The gran isn't doing anything wrong in wanting to see her grandchild more either, but she needs to accept the parents' decisions about their child and their lives.

gillybob Wed 01-Apr-15 09:00:09

Meant to add with this kind of attitude there is little wonder charities like Age UK and other charities for the elderly are in so much demand . Perhaps our family is different to most. I do hope not .

gillybob Wed 01-Apr-15 08:57:17

Of course they are free to choose thatbags but it troubles me to wonder why anyone would deliberately want to keep grandchildren and grandparents apart. They are the parents of the child's parents for goodness sake. Why would you not want someone in your child's life that loves them as much as you do yourself?