Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How many clocks

(40 Posts)
tanith Thu 07-May-15 20:40:03

Someone asked this interesting question as they thought 'older' people more likely to have lots of clocks in the house...

In our house apart from appliance clocks, (cooker, microwave, boiler and phones) we actually only have one clock OH's alarm clock , I use my phone or computer for the time if I need it. I haven't worn a watch since the day I retired nearly 10yrs ago.

How many clocks do you have?

rascal Thu 07-May-15 21:01:49

Oh well there is a few here but not as many now as gadgets seem to come with clocks .

JackyB Thu 07-May-15 21:01:55

My mother certainly has a lot of clocks. One dainty little carriage clock which she was given when she retired, one in the hall which has a lovely chime, and otherwise one in nearly every room. We have one in the bathroom and dining room, but for the rest, just look at a handy phone or alarm clock for the time.

FlicketyB Thu 07-May-15 21:02:27

Alarm clocks in every bedroom and a kitchen clock, plus a couple which are purely ornamental and are not wound up so do not tell the time and my watch.

When I am at my computer, that is what I use, but to be forever running to my computer and waiting for it to wake-up in order to find out the time would be time-wasting and inefficient. A quick glance at my wrist watch or a quick glance at the kitchen clock as I pass through tells me the time within seconds.

As for mobile phones..... I live in a notspot. In the house a mobile phone is as much use as a chocolate teapot. So it lives in the car, which is where I need it for when I leave the house and visit one of those magic areas with mobile phone reception. Even if I could use my phone in doors I still wouldn't use it to tell the time. Once again, unless you hang it around your neck like glasses, you would have to go to where you keep it and probably again, wake the phone every time you wanted the time.

I don't have a good sense of time and I am out and about a lot so I am checking the time several times every hour. A watch, analogue or digital is a far quicker and more efficient way of doing it than mobile phones, computers or tablets.

Marmight Thu 07-May-15 21:05:45

4 and they all tell a different time. There are loads of appliance clocks, half of which I can't set [pathetic]. I too don't wear a watch. Uncomfortable and I was always getting it wet in the shower or washing up water! I use my mobile or just ask someone the time.....

tanith Thu 07-May-15 21:13:46

If I had the problem of no phone signal I would probably agree with you FlicketyB but as I don't have that problem using my phone, Ipad, laptop is easiest for me. My phone is always either in my pocket or beside me so to press a button and see the time is as quick as glancing at a watch. As I use my ipad or laptop a lot of the time its a mere glance to see the time.
I'd be very frustrated to have no signal or wifi in the house I must admit..

baubles Thu 07-May-15 21:13:57

None - other than those on appliances. We both have watches but use the alarms on our phones when necessary.

My mother has several though.

Ana Thu 07-May-15 21:14:16

Four proper clocks, and lots of other time-telling gadgetry!

absent Thu 07-May-15 21:15:41

We just have two alarm clocks in use. I have a Viennese clock that belonged to my grandmother and a rack clock that works on gravity but both need to be hung on the wall by quite strong screws, which we are not allowed to use in this house. Consequently, they have remained in their carefully wrapped boxes since we moved here. When we finally get round to buying a house, instead of renting, they will have pride of place.

merlotgran Thu 07-May-15 21:16:04

We have one pretty little clock that I bought in a car boot sale for 50p.

My sis-in-law has 80!! shock and twice a year my daft brother changes them all for her.

Ana Thu 07-May-15 21:16:07

I don't think either of my DDs has a clock in the house! I know DD2 uses her mobile phone as an alarm clock...perhaps it is an old person thing! shock

Lona Thu 07-May-15 21:21:30

One small alarm clock and one decorative wall clock in the kitchen. In the open plan sitting/dining room I have an antique,chiming, wall clock.
I do wear a watch but I can barely see it without my specs so I just look on my phone.

ninathenana Thu 07-May-15 21:34:34

One very nice chiming one in lounge presented to DH for long service. A small art deco mantle one in the dining room, one in kitchen and one each side of our bed. These have luminous dials as DH and I both like to see the time if we stir in the night. DH also has 3 watches ! I have one too.
We have 6 devices that show time.

Charleygirl Thu 07-May-15 21:44:14

I have one small alarm clock but I do wear a watch. I am on this gadget frequently so I use it for the time. I am ashamed to say that I have no idea how to set the clock on my electric oven.

numberplease Thu 07-May-15 21:51:37

There`s one in the kitchen, one in here, a clock radio alarm plus an alarm clock with big bells on top in the bedroom, and a clock in hubby`s bedroom. There are also 3 other clocks which are never in use, just ornamental. I have several wristwatches, as has hubby, but we rarely wear them.

Greenfinch Thu 07-May-15 22:33:49

I must be unusual. We have at least 12 (one in every room including bathrooms and two in some ).I have 3 watches (given as presents) and DH has 2.

Grandma2213 Thu 07-May-15 22:46:04

One in the living room and one in the kitchen plus my watch when I'm out. I rarely use anything else. On the other hand I have 4 alarm clocks on my bedside table. Guess who's not a morning person!

Tegan Thu 07-May-15 22:49:19

I've got clocks everywhere. Wall clock in kitchen [no battery]; alarm clock in kitchen [battery ok but is an hour out; if I correct it I'll have to remember that it isn't an hour out and confuse myself confused]. Alarm clock in bedroom; think it's the right hour but 15 minutes fast so I know I can doze for 15 minutes before having to wake up properly. Mantlepiece clock; right hour but a few minutes slow. Grandmother clock on wall in living room; not wound up for years cause the tick is too loud. Uncle Sam's clock on shelf in bedroom;hasn't worked since he died [but did start ticking one night for a while which completely freaked me out]. Watch and computer are both the correct time. Super Mario alarm clock that my son had for Christmas one year; only had batteries in for a short time as we never worked out how to turn it off when the alarm went off and it drove us mad. Dennis the Menace alarm clock; again tick was too alarm clock in computer room that does a funny little dance when it goes off.

AshTree Thu 07-May-15 23:58:42

Kitchen clock, had it for years, a wooden cased pendulum type - well, a mock pendulum type really, cos it runs on one AA battery! Apart from that a digital alarm clock, which is never used as an alarm clock because we each always use the alarms on our iPhones. And that's it. If I need to know the time in the hall I glance at the phone. In the living room or dining room, I just glance at my laptop or PC.
Do we need clocks as such anymore? I don't think so. They do make nice decorative objets d'art to hang on the wall though grin

tanith Fri 08-May-15 06:35:57

I think you may be right Ash Tree ,I have no need of a clock anymore it's a bit sad in a way but I'm sure lots of people prefer to refer to them and they will always be part of home decor.

Bogoff Fri 08-May-15 06:40:56

We have at least one clock in every room, including the smallest.

thatbags Fri 08-May-15 06:48:10

Four, including a very old travel alarm clock (alarm disabled) in the bathroom. I don't wear a watch.

There are clocks on the microwave and the cooker too and, of course, on all the computer equipment including this iPad.

loopylou Fri 08-May-15 06:51:05

I'm lost without a watch, other than that one in kitchen and living room and one in the bedroom.
I'm amazed merlotgran at anyone having 80 clocks! That's either a hobby collection or a huge mansion or someone very hot on time management smile

NfkDumpling Fri 08-May-15 07:25:14

One in every room except the downstairs loo and the little bedroom which the DGC use - and I expect there'll be one in there when they're big enough to tell the time.

Actually the kitchen (not a big room) has three. Apart from the proper one, the cooker and microwave both have one. Oh, and there's one on the radio too! In fact we've five radios and each of them have a clock. Not sure if they count though as the numbers are too small to see.

Love clocks. Tick tock!

NfkDumpling Fri 08-May-15 07:26:20

(I was only counting the ones which work!)