Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandaughter

(33 Posts)
FlicketyB Fri 22-May-15 09:50:03

DD had the same problem when she got her first full-time job and went from weekly to monthly pay. We didn't think twice about advancing her enough money to get through the month and she repaid us over a period of six months.

The alternative is that she has to take an unauthorised overdraft, might take out a pay day loan or resort to other borrowing to get her through the month that then gets her enmeshed in debt because of the horrendous interest rates, penalty charges and will damage her credit record.

Lend it to her and point out to your DH what the alternatives will be if you do not help her.

gillybob Fri 22-May-15 09:49:09

My DH would give our DGC our last penny and I am not exagerating. He/we are not money orientated and we would both rest easier knowing we had been able to help out a little bit. As for paying back, if it happened it happened. I would never fall out with anyone over money.

jollyg Fri 22-May-15 09:44:08

My mother had a jewish friend who just managed to get out of the back door before the Gestapo came in the front.

They arrived penniless in UK despite having substantial property in Germany.

Her mantra was

'Give while the hand is hot and not cold' Its mine too

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 22-May-15 09:41:07

Oh yes. Let her have the money. Men are often a bit unwilling to part with cash. hmm It's typical that he had come round by the morning. smile

Mishap Fri 22-May-15 09:35:29

Give her the money! - better to see her getting the benefit of it now than wait until you are dead!

I am just off on a holiday with most of the family and I have rented all the accommodation so I can enjoy seeing them having fun and enjoying a holiday they could not otherwise afford.

It sounds as though yo0ur OH has come round to the idea of this loan so I would not worry about it. Men can be funny about money. Thankfully my OH is of the opinion that we should share some of what we have accumulated with our family - he has PD and thinks he will not last long (a bit of a pessimist!) and wants to help them all while he can.

vampirequeen Fri 22-May-15 09:32:41

I don't see a problem lending her the money if it won't leave you short.

If paying it back is a problem couldn't she spread it over a couple of months?

Teetime Fri 22-May-15 09:25:21

I think its important to get the principles of lending/giving money to family firmly established between you and your husband before agreeing to any short term loans/gifts so a sit down chat is needed urgently. Of course you want to help her I would too but I always square it with DH first before I hand over any money. I did think its going to be difficult for her to pay you back as that will make her short at the end of next week. I wondered if you had thought of giving any family members some of what they would inherit ahead of time to get them straight and settled so that then there would be no further need of loans.

over60plus Fri 22-May-15 08:53:39

Update from my previous post, GD started new job still in education but on admin side seems very happy and settled. My dilemma today is she does not get paid till end of month so short of money I have helped with her fuel cost to get her to work, she phoned last night asked if we could lend her some money till she got paid (for her standing orders) £85 I said that's fine will put in the bank now, I know she will pay back. Mentioned to my husband she was short of cash he said no she is not having it, could understand if we had not got it but we have. Left a very bad taste husband gets up this morning says you had better transfer cash to GD account. Her parents are divorced neither as spare cash am I being unreasonable