Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

BEETROOT!

(116 Posts)
Anne58 Tue 14-Jul-15 22:01:56

I ask you, how in whatever deity's name, could you call a little girl "Beetroot" shock confused

annsixty Thu 16-Jul-15 10:57:32

Sorry merlot crossed post.

Elrel Thu 16-Jul-15 10:55:58

In my family Terry and Tony's mother had to tell teachers that their names were not abbreviations. Eddie's is but the teacher who wrote Edward on his exercise book was asked to correct it to Edmund. Just met a cute Alfee!!

annsixty Thu 16-Jul-15 10:55:57

Surely it's Tarragon shortened to Tara!!Elrel

merlotgran Thu 16-Jul-15 10:53:44

Think 'Gone With The Wind', Elrel

Unless I've got it wrong and it actually gives you wind grin

Elrel Thu 16-Jul-15 10:51:33

Erm, I think the name Levi came many centuries before the sports brand!!

Elrel Thu 16-Jul-15 10:49:42

I met a doctor's daughter named Retina, also Ace, Spike, siblings Rainbow and Sunshine (known to classmates as Thunder and Lightning) together with Cheyenne Tequila, Wisdom and Dannyboy.
Asking a hippie the name of his tiny son, a babe in arms in the year of the Queen's Jubilee, I was introduced to Jubilee River, his toddler sister was Tree.
Still trying to work out T**a the abbreviated herb name! I was named after an area being fought over in 1940, the only older namesake I've encountered was named after a sunken battleship!!

GillT57 Thu 16-Jul-15 10:36:45

I worked with a man called Christopher who had a twin sister called Christine, I often wondered whether their parents called them Chris and Chris or Topher and Tine. I hate names with incorrect spellings based on what the parents have heard, names such as Shevaune (Siobhan) and Sharn (Sian). Also not keen on multiple letters such as Aimeee. Really dont like names based on brands such as Levi, Chanel, Nike. While parents are free to name as they feel fit, I do wish they would give thought to that child in adulthood.

vampirequeen Thu 16-Jul-15 10:05:05

Reminds me of Wayne and Waynetta Slob who called their daughters Frogmella and Spudulike (Spud-u-lika). Waynetta liked Spudulike because it was 'exotic'.

Teetime Thu 16-Jul-15 09:43:51

I was n a course once with a Family Planning nurse who said she fully anticipated the day when a child would be called Chlamydia.smile

annodomini Thu 16-Jul-15 09:43:31

At least with these strange names, there's less danger of duplications in classes. Our primary school class had five Elizabeths (or versions like Betty), four Ann(e)s, three Margarets. I may have forgotten some, but there were only 20 girls in the class. The boys were more varied.

Nelliemoser Thu 16-Jul-15 09:11:15

I have heard of a number of kids with two letter names such as TJ. Some parents seem to choose to spell a name differently even though it sounds the same as usual. The letter K gets put into a lot
I can understand with names that are essentially from another language say Welsh or Gaelic.

I am still puzzling over the gender of a child named Crimea I encountered at work but never met. We were supposed to put the gender on the form as we took a referral I never did find out on that one.

I had visions of any further children in that family being called Sebastapol or Stalingrad, Marengo, Paschendale,the Somme etc.

Anne58 Thu 16-Jul-15 08:22:40

I had business dealings with a man who had changed his name by deed poll to Blake 7 shock He had kept his ordinary surname though.

vampirequeen Thu 16-Jul-15 08:06:16

I also had a KC and a JK.

thatbags Thu 16-Jul-15 08:05:15

I know someone whose Gd is called Shayla. I presume this is a version of Shelagh/Sheila, a name which, spelled in the Gaelic way is Sile – the letter combinaton 'si' sounds like 'sh' in Celtic languages.

thatbags Thu 16-Jul-15 08:02:42

Yikes, Mackayla is a very weird spelling of a good old name, Michaela, the feminine version of Michael. I suppose these wacky spellings arise when people have only heard a name and never seen it written. Hey ho.

ninathenana Thu 16-Jul-15 00:04:07

DS had a boy in his class at primary school called TJ. No it wasn't short for anything.

vampirequeen Wed 15-Jul-15 23:10:29

I taught sisters Porsche, Mercedes and Lotus....I think their dad liked cars grin

Also sisters Summer, Sky, Storm and Cloud

Katek Wed 15-Jul-15 23:06:21

Both small dgs have very Scots names with the baby's name also having a Gaelic spelling-I'm getting used to putting the 'h' in the correct place now!

DD2 works for LA education dept and she says there are some odd names in the area. 'J' is one, another is 'Prayer' and there are 'Storms', 'Rainbows' and lots of very strange spellings. 'Mackayla' is one I really don't like.

I did read once-don't know if it's true or not - of a health visitor seeing a new family in her area where the toddler was called 'Gooey'. On asking the spelling she discovered that his name was actually 'Guy'.

nightowl Wed 15-Jul-15 22:48:38

DD, a teacher, has two girls in her class both named Unique confused

Marmight Wed 15-Jul-15 22:39:24

My DGD had swimming lessons with a little girl called Parsley - perhaps she is your DGD Gagagran ? grin
On my last trip to Australia I came across a Shayna-Blaze, a Kalani and a Havana to go along with Chase, Tag, Slater and Harley. I always make a note of these extraordinary monikas - I have quite a list now!!

annsixty Wed 15-Jul-15 22:22:19

I have a GS named Alfie I didn't approve but have got used to it. His younger brother is Bobby short for Robert, his Father's name. Why shorten one and not the other?

Juliette Wed 15-Jul-15 22:00:51

Jane10 there was a little boy in DS1's reception class named Doctor, caused much hilarity when the register was called. The family only stayed for a year, maybe it's the same Doctor, he would be 45/46 now and I have often wondered if he lived up to his name.

feetlebaum Wed 15-Jul-15 20:11:04

@Phoenix - there's a book about him - The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, by Terry Pratchett. In it, Maurice, the cat, sends the rats into a new town, then turns up and appears to rid the town of them - a con job!

Gagagran Wed 15-Jul-15 19:31:26

She did the shortening jings as kids do and it actually really suits her!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 15-Jul-15 19:15:21

Oh that's a lovely name. (the full version) Why do you shorten it? shock