Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you do with used cooking oil?

(50 Posts)
thatbags Wed 18-Nov-15 06:28:24

I use solid fats mainly (butter, goose fat, lard, beef fat) and you can just pour any leftovers into a bowl, mix in some seeds and breadcrumbs and feed it to the birds. Or you can use it as dripping on toast. Pans get wiped out with kitchen paper and that is discarded in summer or used as a firelighter in winter. Almost zero waste and I think it's nutritionally better for you.

I used to worry about using kitchen paper but I don't now. It's biodegradable. Non-oily stuff can go on compost heaps, with something to weight it down until it is covered so it doesn't blow away.

Eloethan Wed 18-Nov-15 00:55:04

Very small amount - pour onto kitchen paper and put in the bin.

Larger amounts - pour into empty bottles or jars and take them to the recycling centre when we have collected a few.

Nelliemoser Tue 17-Nov-15 23:39:15

Our local recycling center has a container for waste cooking oil.

I have poured small quantities onto bits of waste garden soil. It will biodegrade quite naturally but don't put too much in anyone place.

patd Tue 17-Nov-15 20:18:48

Put old oil in an empty plastic bottle and put it in the bin. Dont do it much now as i use spray oil.

TriciaF Tue 17-Nov-15 17:23:57

I think used oil can be converted to fuel for use in vehicles.
I'm neurotic about oil, horrified at the idea of putting it down the sink.
We have a septic tank system now, but even when on mains drainage in UK I would never do it.

Berryla Tue 17-Nov-15 16:03:45

I used to pour it down the sink but then it all got clogged and cost me a fortune. I'm making note of all your ideas

loopylou Tue 17-Nov-15 15:34:36

I use very little oil so if there is a drop left it gets mopped up with kitchen roll and goes in the bin. I doubt there is more than a tablespoon full.

ninathenana Tue 17-Nov-15 15:27:07

In a corner of the utility kitty. I've never had a problem with odour.

kittylester Tue 17-Nov-15 15:24:29

Nina where do you store your old milk container? That was my issue with the absorba bin thing!

shysal Tue 17-Nov-15 15:20:47

The Lakeland blurb does say that even oil can clog drains.
www.lakeland.co.uk/71003/Absorb-Bin%E2%84%A2-Large

shysal Tue 17-Nov-15 15:15:32

That Lakeland thingy just looks like a more expensive way than using old egg boxes! I think the refills are only cardboard. Even though it is liquid, I wouldn't pour any oil down the sink. I am a hoarder of all shapes and sizes of empty packaging, so use something of the right size and put out for landfill.

TriciaF Tue 17-Nov-15 14:16:51

I keep the empty plastic bottles, put the used oil back, from the deep fryer mostly. Then take it to the waste disposal place, where they collect it in a large container for use in something or other.
I rarely use the deep fryer now.
From the frying pan, I use very little oil, just wipe it out after with kitchen roll.

ninathenana Tue 17-Nov-15 14:16:32

I keep an empty 6pnt milk container and pour oil into that then put it into the no recycle bin.
As per our council recommendation.

Teetime Tue 17-Nov-15 14:14:46

I juts wrap it up in kitchen paper and discard in the general waste but I don't really use a lot as I dry fry or use a spray.

Charleygirl Tue 17-Nov-15 14:14:05

That is a good idea putting it into a sealed jar.

aggie Tue 17-Nov-15 14:13:06

it isn't solid I know , but it seems it adds to the clogging effect in the council drains when it mixes with chemicals and cold water , I guess it doesn't mess with your drains , waits till further down the pipes sad

Indinana Tue 17-Nov-15 14:03:51

We save our coffee jars and pour used oil into them. There is collection point at our local recycling centre where you can pour used cooking oil into a vat. God knows what they do with it, possibly purify it and use it for something else, who knows.
If the oil is really mucky, with bits of food etc in, or it's been mixed with the fat poured from the Sunday roast, so it's become sludgy [yuk emoticon] then we double wrap the sealed coffee jar and put it in the dustbin blush

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 17-Nov-15 14:01:32

Suppose it depends on the particular oil you are using. I've never seen solid rapeseed oil.

aggie Tue 17-Nov-15 13:59:52

www.wikihow.com/Dispose-of-Cooking-Oil

aggie Tue 17-Nov-15 13:56:39

No Jingle it does go into the fatburgers in the drains , even though it is oil

kittylester Tue 17-Nov-15 13:55:35

It's a dilemma though isn't it - using kitchen roll isn't very 'green' either is it? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 17-Nov-15 13:55:02

After I've fried several lots (weekly) of chips with it, I pour it down the sink. It's fine. Rapeseed, so doesn't go hard to block pipe.

hildajenniJ Tue 17-Nov-15 13:52:10

I do that too Ana.

Ana Tue 17-Nov-15 13:47:10

I'm afraid I just pour it into a wad of kitchen paper and put it in the bin! As you say, kitty, there isn't much of it if you're only using it to shallow-fry.

kittylester Tue 17-Nov-15 13:44:31

I know we are not meant to put fat down the drain which is quite easy with fat that sets if left to go cold but what about the olive oil I use to cook rosemary and garlic wedges? Or roasting new potatoes, etc etc? There isn't much of it but what to do with it?

I've looked at those thingies that Lakeland sell and the thought is really revolting and some of the reviews say it smells when you change the absorbent bit.