Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Potatoes, advice please!

(29 Posts)
phoenix Sun 20-Dec-15 17:52:41

I have a bag of baking potatoes, of which only a couple will be used before Christmas.

Do you think they would be OK to use for roasties, or do I risk ruining Christmas dinner?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 20-Dec-15 17:56:27

You won't ruin Xmas dinner. The ones we had (roasted) today had just started sprouting some tiny shoots. They were delicious. Pop 'em in the fridge till Friday, if you've got room.

merlotgran Sun 20-Dec-15 17:56:54

Is the variety name on the bag, phoenix?

I would test one if you're not sure. If it holds its shape during parboiling I'm sure it will be fine.

Eloethan Sun 20-Dec-15 17:59:20

I thought they were just called baking potatoes because they are large and therefore more suitable for baking than small potatoes. Also, they are not "waxy" potatoes but the insides go "fluffy" when baked in the oven so I would imagine they would be suitable for roasting.

I'm no expert though and perhaps someone else knows for sure.

loopylou Sun 20-Dec-15 18:05:51

I use them all the time because I cba to peel smaller potatoes, and I've never had a problem.
It's purely the size as Eloethan says.

phoenix Sun 20-Dec-15 18:07:11

Thanks for the responses, al appreciated!

Just checked the bag, and the variety is shown as "Estima" , don't know if that helps or not?confused

hildajenniJ Sun 20-Dec-15 18:08:17

My DH told me today that you shouldn't store potatoes in the fridge. Instead, you should put them in a cool dark place to keep. Apparently the starch in potatoes turns to sugar more quickly if you keep them in the fridge. On the matter of using baking potatoes for roasting, go ahead, I often use them this way without any problems.

Nelliemoser Sun 20-Dec-15 18:22:07

Phoenix Nice to hear from you, I think this is a very difficult time of year for you so (((Hugs)))

As for potatoes just scrape the shoots off as long as the potatoes are not soft.

merlotgran Sun 20-Dec-15 18:32:01

Estima should be fine. They're a good all round potato but don't overboil them at the beginning.

Hilda's DH is right about not storing potatoes in the fridge.

kittylester Sun 20-Dec-15 18:33:13

I totally agree with everything nellie said.

Iam64 Sun 20-Dec-15 18:38:57

I know we should store potatoes in a cool, dark place. Last year I used the pantry in the kitchen but the peculiar weather this year resulted in my spuds sprouting and going soft very quickly. The fridge is getting full of Christmas goodies, I'm wondering about putting the spuds in a dark box, in the greenhouse…...

oldgoat Sun 20-Dec-15 18:56:32

Just made some lovely roast potatoes using Estima. Only par boiled them for four minutes then gave the drained spuds a good shake to rough them up.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 20-Dec-15 19:01:53

Fridge has always worked or me when it is only for a few days to stop them sprouting. Main compartment of my fridge isn't frost cold!

rosesarered Sun 20-Dec-15 20:45:47

Baking potatoes are fine roasted.?

Deedaa Sun 20-Dec-15 21:09:15

With only the two of us I often just buy a pack of four baking potatoes and use them for either baking or roasting.

Pittcity Sun 20-Dec-15 22:02:16

We are the same as Deedaa Local shops do not sell loose potatoes and we would never get through a big bag. The bags of four baking pots. are baked, roasted, wedged and sautéed....all good. Just fluff them after par boiling and use goose or duck fat for excellent roasties.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 20-Dec-15 22:11:03

I only ever buying baking potatos. Use them for everything. I prefer larger spuds cut up for roasted pots. They seem to get more scrunchy.

Nelliemoser Sun 20-Dec-15 23:15:05

Here are the best varieties for different methods of cooking. I does make a difference

life.wilko.com/know-your-potatoes/

I have a good printed list in my cookery folder. Where I got it from I cannot remember. If I find it I will post it.

Tegan Sun 20-Dec-15 23:40:03

I just love Maris Piper potatoes. Can [and quite often] just live on them alone.

Coolgran65 Mon 21-Dec-15 00:30:38

I use Navan potatoes as they are fluffy but don't fall apart on boiling. I use them for everything.
Today I'd run out of goose fat so used olive oil. Dgc commented that granny' s roasties (which they consider the best) were even crispier.

M0nica Mon 21-Dec-15 11:43:09

It would never occur to me to put potatoes in the fridge. I have a veg rack in a lower cupboard against an outside wall and all my veg goes in there. The only exception is salad veg, which does get into the fridge because it wilts quickly, but I was told never to put tomatoes in a fridge and they live in a small wicker bowl on the work top.

I grow my own potatoes and most of them are stored in sacks in an outhouse. I usually top-up my house potato bag once a week.

JackyB Mon 21-Dec-15 12:08:23

I would have thought that baking potatoes were great for roasting. Also for chips and mashed potato.

rojon Sun 27-Dec-15 17:25:30

The only cool dark place in my house is the loft so I have to keep my potatoes in the fridge.

PRINTMISS Mon 28-Dec-15 08:43:03

I use potatoes whether or not they are sprouting. A greengrocer friend of mine told me always to take the potatoes out of the plastic bag they are sold in, and leave them in a cool dark place, but not to eat them if they are greenish. I have found this difficult with some of the 'new' potatoes which seem to have a hue about them.

Maranta Mon 28-Dec-15 08:58:26

I try to avoid buying potatoes packed in plastic from supermarkets. I'm sure they are left around in the light for days on end and they are often greenish. I'm lucky because I have a greengrocer near me, and I can see the large paper sacks stored in the back room.