Here's a little tip

(46 Posts)
morethan2 Tue 22-Dec-15 07:24:57

At Christmas I tip the
1 postman
2 the bin men
3the paper boy
4 the window cleaner if he comes before Christmas
I give the postie,bin men a fiver, the paperboy gets two or three and I round up the window cleaner to the nearest five.
I was surprised when the postman tells me I'm a rarity these days. He also said that when it was common place the best tips were always from the poorer areas.
I always tip at Christmas and it pays off. If I forget my bins they still get emptied, my regular postman knows were to put my parcels. The window cleaner, locks my gate and the paperboy never forces my newspaper into the letter box. So is tipping these people getting rarer?

M0nica Tue 22-Dec-15 07:36:00

I tip the postman, although I am not sure why. I think it is because the post man we had for the first 15 years we lived here was really pleasant and very obliging. So much so that when he retired the village had a community collection and presentation for him. We still have a regular postman who is very pleasant so I keep tipping. I think if he was replaced I would stop doing it.

Beyond that, I have no contact with the bin men. We have to put our bins at the end of our access road and I see them from a distance, but not to speak to. Our window cleaner is a team who come round every couple of months and we do not have a paper boy.

Gagagran Tue 22-Dec-15 07:40:31

We tip both our paperboys £10 each but not the bin men or postie or window cleaner.

glassortwo Tue 22-Dec-15 07:48:37

I tip the postman and the window cleaner.

Marelli Tue 22-Dec-15 07:48:44

We tip the postie a fiver. He always does his best to leave parcels at neighbours houses for us and is also a cheery soul. tchsmile
We have no paperboy or window-cleaner, but the binmen ( crew of four) are handed a tin of sweets or biscuits to munch on as they go about (hope they wait till they've washed their hands tchhmm) They are always very appreciative!

kittylester Tue 22-Dec-15 07:53:46

We tip our fabulous postlady and the two paperboys.

Pittcity Tue 22-Dec-15 08:03:10

No tips here as we don't have a regular postie. Bin men and window cleaners are in teams who are ever changing and we have no paper delivery. We find we are a bit more generous with hairdressers, restaurants and charities at this time of year though.

annsixty Tue 22-Dec-15 08:27:04

We do not have a paper delivery and have three different bin lorries every week each with a crew of 4 men so no tip there. I do tip the window cleaner but not the postmen since our regular one was moved and the local sorting office closed so we get an ever changing "man in a van". My cleaner gets double her usual charge as does my mobile hairdresser who will never take any extra throughout the year.

Indinana Tue 22-Dec-15 08:36:36

We no longer tip the bin men - there are two separate crews of about 6 each week and they are frankly so uncaring, leaving bins in the wrong places or upturned. Garden waste is often strewn on the pavement with the empty bags just thrown at the house in the hope they'll be found before they've blown away. So not worthy of a tip, sorry. We have no paper delivered, no window cleaner and our postie is regularly changing...

Stansgran Tue 22-Dec-15 08:42:40

Paper girl and boy get tips. As does the postman. Definitely not the milkman as he took both his and the paper boy's one year. I have a long memory. The cleaner gets double.

harrigran Tue 22-Dec-15 08:48:31

We tip the window cleaner. We rarely see the same postman and delivery is erratic, sometimes by 11am but often after 2.30. I have not seen a milkman or paperboy for over ten years, we must all collect from the supermarket.

Jane10 Tue 22-Dec-15 09:18:29

We tip our resident caretaker as he does everything from emptying the bins to delivering the papers and much else in between. Don't know how we'll all cope when he retires!

annodomini Tue 22-Dec-15 09:39:06

For a change I managed to catch the postman as he passed and gave him a tip. He is so helpful - knows the 'secret' place where packages are put and signs for them for me so that I don't have to traipse 4 miles to the sorting office.

tanith Tue 22-Dec-15 09:48:10

I only tip the postman and wait till its our regular as they sometimes swop rounds I give him £10 he is very obliging and helpful and he's been our postie for 10yrs at least.. don't have a paper boy and we have 4 different rubbish lorries so no to them too..

shysal Tue 22-Dec-15 10:11:09

My postie is wonderful, and so are his colleagues, so the main man gets £20 and the rest of the Post Office staff get home-made cakes for their rest room each year.

I have an awkward situation where a neighbour mows the communal grass in front of our terrace, but won't accept payment. I therefore give him a Homebase gift card at Christmas, which could help towards the products he applies to the grass. However, he has never yet acknowledged receipt or thanked me, so hope I don't offend him.

rubysong Tue 22-Dec-15 13:38:56

£5 each for the postie and the milkman. We have to take our rubbish up the hill and don't have a windows cleaner, so we don't have to tip dustmen or window cleaner.

Coolgran65 Tue 22-Dec-15 14:05:25

I wonder if I'm a meanie !!

Window cleaner last week, charges £8 and I rounded it up to £10.

No milkman, paper boy. Never see the bin men.

In the last 3 months I've had 5 home deliveries from Asda. Never the same driver. A couple of nights ago we had a large home delivery and as I was busy at something my dh dealt with the driver. And tipped him £5.
Would anyone else have thought to tip the home shopping delivery driver?

morethan2 Tue 22-Dec-15 15:36:31

Yep if it was a big delivery, near Christmas, and no your not mean. I rounded up my window cleaners tip.

Icyalittle Tue 22-Dec-15 18:23:10

Our regular postman. Then a separate tip for each team that collects bins. I buy my lovely cleaner a present because she refuses outright if I try to give her more money. Every one of them goes above and beyond, and deserve it.

Icyalittle Tue 22-Dec-15 18:27:53

We don't have milk deliveries any more and gave up our newspaper delivery in favour of cycling to the shop in the next village, so none on those any more.

LullyDully Tue 22-Dec-15 18:48:24

We have a mixture of posties, no milk delivery or window cleaner and binmen come about 6.00am.
Christmas tipping a thing of the past!!!

Largolass Tue 22-Dec-15 19:28:14

Don't know my postman different one each week, no milk or papers delivered, window cleaners come as a team but seldom see them but I do give my cleaner a fortnight's paid holiday and a present every Christmas....

Nelliemoser Wed 23-Dec-15 00:11:35

I don't really like the idea of tipping it seems patronising to me, but our regular milkman is so reliable and such a nice guy he deserves appreciation.

The round has been owned by only two different men in the 28 yrs we have lived here, they were both very reliable.

Granny23 Wed 23-Dec-15 00:29:36

We used to tip our Milk boy each fortnight when he collected the money but now we pay monthly by mail/cheque so he gets a tenner at Christmas. Can't fault the service, milk arrives 3 times a week without fail, although we never see or hear them.

PRINTMISS Wed 23-Dec-15 08:39:12

We have ever-changing bin-men, so do not tip them. We tip the postman £5., because he is always so cheerful, even when he is dripping with rain.Since our window cleaner is a one man band, he keeps all that he earns, so I see no point in tipping him. When our grandson was a paper boy an elderly lady gave him a bag of balloons as a Christmas box. Yes, they were balloons.