Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

The games people play....

(31 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Fri 05-Feb-16 09:30:09

I'm a bit of a geek - that's not an apology by the way smile

I love computer games and play regularly. Last night i was playing a multiplayer online game and got chatting with other players and it turned out that I was the oldest by 20 years.

It got me wondering do I have any fellow gamers out there? Anything from Candy Crush to Cross Boss to Forge of Empires?

Or am I the lonely bastion of gaming grannies smile?

Imperfect27 Fri 05-Feb-16 10:03:16

I don't do any gaming at the moment, but I do enjoy online quizzes. I likie ones where you are up against the clock and maybe - or maybe not (!)- end up on the leader board.

I have a couple of friends who keep sending me links to Candy crush and the like, but I think that if I start I won't stop and I have become bad enough at wiling away hours on GN!!! grin

rubysong Fri 05-Feb-16 11:48:39

My son got me playing candy crush last year and for a few months we both did loads of it. Then we both realised what a waste of time it was; relaxing (plus point) but very addictive and time consuming (negative point). All in all we both feel better without it.

NanaandGrampy Fri 05-Feb-16 12:17:44

I don't know if you have an iPhone Imperfect but there something called Peak Brain Training in the Apple Store. It's free ( although you can pay if you want more games in the pro version) .

You 4 or 5 games a day , about 5 mins in total. Then you can compare your results to others in your age group. They are good little puzzles but quite addictive. As you get better new puzzles appear.

pensionpat Fri 05-Feb-16 13:06:18

I enjoy Peak too. Also addicted to Wordbrain.

NonnaW Fri 05-Feb-16 13:12:34

Was fairly addicted to candy crush. Trying to wean myself off.

Teetime Fri 05-Feb-16 14:42:44

I only do Words with Friends but have about 30 games on the go mostly with one person. DHL plays backgammon, bridge and poker with people all over the world.

DotMH1901 Fri 05-Feb-16 16:45:32

I play a couple of games on Facebook - some started by my grandkiddies smile I try not to send any game requests to the majority of my Facebook friends as they say they don't like getting them but I do have a couple of friends who also play so we tend to keep to the same ones. Like on-line Backgammon, Cribbage and word games.

numberplease Fri 05-Feb-16 16:56:18

I do a couple of online quizzes, and a jigsaw against the clock. The only game I play, and not onine, just for me, is Goldminer. I used to do a geography one once upon a time, putting places onto a map, but haven`t played it for a while.

rosesarered Fri 05-Feb-16 17:14:00

I play lots of games online, mainly through apps on my iPad.Very soothing and addictive!

Marmark1 Sat 06-Feb-16 09:26:25

Me too Rosesarered, Draw something, Escape games, Wordbrain, Fish shop,

Judthepud2 Sat 06-Feb-16 09:43:47

Candy Crush and Disney's Frozen Freefall blush Addictive. Can't help myself!

baubles Sat 06-Feb-16 09:45:16

I used to play online scrabble with a few people but sometimes I had to break off a game for a while and that wasn't approved of so now I don't bother. I occasionally play words with friends and still play the old favourites, Solitaire, Spider and Sudoku.

NanaandGrampy Sat 06-Feb-16 10:13:16

Good to know I'm not alone . My newest app game I'm enjoying is Cross Boss - a crossword puzzle for 2 .

Bellasnana Sat 06-Feb-16 10:20:48

Wordfeud, Words with Friends, Song Pop, and Frozen Freefall. Gave up Candy Crush when it became too tedious.

Judthepud2 Sat 06-Feb-16 12:59:59

Bellasnana you are the first person I have met who plays Frozen Freefall. Much more varied than Candy Crush used to be. CC now introducing all sorts of little additions which have kept me hooked.

bikergran Sat 06-Feb-16 13:13:26

I sometimes play "mystery games/find the objects/secret rooms etc" with gs on his tablet odd times...I think it would be really good if we had a GN games room, you know draughts/scrabble or what ever anything really and we could play against each other!

hildajenniJ Sat 06-Feb-16 14:09:12

The only games I am playing at the moment are 2048 and Classic Words (a scrabble game) both played against the computer.
I did have a thing for Farm Heroes a while ago, but I'm over it now. grin

Bellasnana Sat 06-Feb-16 14:53:13

Judthepud I'm ashamed to admit that the first thing I do when I wake up is go to Frozen Freefall to claim my daily 'prize' blush
I'm ridiculously happy if I get a snowball grin

PRINTMISS Sat 06-Feb-16 16:21:35

I like to play spider solitaire, and used to play scrabble against the computer, when I had a disk I could insert. Find I cannot do that any more, and do not enjoy playing against 'a person' when I have to sit and wait for them to respond. Pity, because it was something I really enjoyed. Must look around see if I can find something similar to my original scrabble.Do find games addictive and a bit time wasting though.

Lavande Sat 06-Feb-16 17:53:02

Scrabble on line and against the computer. It suits me because I can leave a game unfinished for days or weeks sometimes.

Occasionally I play the board version against Mr Lavande but he is far more competitive than me and inclined to sulk.

Judthepud2 Sat 06-Feb-16 20:05:42

grin me too Bellasnana. I work through the full lives first thing. I get ridiculously happy when I go up a level. Where are you? I'm nearly finished the Valentine levels. Hoping that when I get to spring, it will be that in reality. SO fed up with dark and rain here.

BTW like your name. I'm a Bella's nana too, though she calls me Gran.

Willow500 Sun 07-Feb-16 14:45:07

I used to play an online game with other players where you developed characters (all female) into fighters, mages or sword makers. I loved it and had 3 really strong characters but then they pulled the game and turned it into something more complicated so that was that. Now I just play Solitaire on my iPad while watching tv on a night. Something you don't have to really concentrate on. I've tried a few of the new ones but can't seem to be bothered after sitting in front of the pc all day.

Bellasnana Mon 08-Feb-16 05:47:36

Hi Judthepud I'm at level 70 still in the autumn bit. I've had to discipline myself to stop playing for the past couple of days as I really have so much to do clearing the house for my impending move. As I am really downsizing, there is a great deal to be dispensed with. I'm finding it very overwhelming but no doubt it will get done if I plod on. I'm missing DH as he would have had everything organised and done all the tricky jobs.

My Bella is really Arabella. I wish I had chosen a more unusual username as there are a few similar which is a bit confusing. Never mind, worse things to worry about.

Good luck with your Frozen. It is addictive isn't itgrin

trisher Mon 08-Feb-16 10:07:15

I don't, some time ago when one of my sons bought a Wii (remember those) I became seriously addicted to playing on it and then realised how much of my life it was using up. If I thought I could do it in moderation I would but I know I will get hooked and spend hours trying to get to the next level on anything! It did make me realise how children get addicted to these things.