Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mascara

(73 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Wed 09-Mar-16 18:21:35

I don't wear a lot of make up now I've retired but went to put 'my face' on the other day only to find my mascara was totally dried up .

( it had obviously been longer than I thought! )

My eyelashes are quite pale now and definitely thinning.

Anyone use a suitable mascara that they love?

I hate buying them because it's impossible to test , so any advice welcome.

Coolgran65 Wed 09-Mar-16 18:42:05

I have blonde eyelashes and wear mascara every day. At 66 I'm still looking for a great mascara.
Usually it's Avon or Max Factor, always waterproof. And softer to go for Brown rather than black.

NanaandGrampy Wed 09-Mar-16 18:45:51

Yes I always go brown these days coolgran , my last one was from Sephora and I really liked it but it had a brush that had a ball shape on the end which was tricky.

Waterproof definitely. But they all seem to do different stuff these days. I just want one that makes it look like I still have eyelashes smile

Ana Wed 09-Mar-16 18:49:15

I don't like waterproof mascara because it's hard to take off and always looks makes my lashes look stiff.

I have blonde lashes too and I've tried brown but it doesn't give enough definition. I ike L'Oreal and steer well clear of Maybelline!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 09-Mar-16 19:00:04

I haven't worn mascara for years now. I used to go for brown. Black was always too 'hard' for my colouring.

Don't wear lippy now either. Just a bit of moisturiser and drop or two of foundation. Or a quick swipe with a solid powder. Oh, and a bit of blusher.

Ana Wed 09-Mar-16 19:20:33

I do think blusher makes a difference. Never used it in my younger days but it helps these days to make me look a bit healthier!

BBbevan Wed 09-Mar-16 19:21:02

I am quite short sighted so if I didn't use mascara my eyes would disappear behind my glasses I tried navy mascara once and by the end of the day looked as if I had done 12 rounds with Henry Cooper. I do use lip salve instead of lipstick though

annodomini Wed 09-Mar-16 19:27:39

I can't apply mascara with my glasses on and can't do it with them off!

downtoearth Wed 09-Mar-16 19:31:54

Havent worn mascara for years, I seem to have an allergy to all eye make up,moisturiser touch of foundation,bit of blusher so you know I am still alive.

Teetime Wed 09-Mar-16 19:46:11

I would have eyelashes tinted so you don't have to wear mascara everyday. I use either Dior Show or Clarinet Wonder Perfect but I favour the Jersey cow look so these might be too much in which case try Bobby Brown or Lancome

Teetime Wed 09-Mar-16 19:46:39

Clarins!

Lona Wed 09-Mar-16 19:52:11

anno you need a magnifying mirror!

MiniMouse Wed 09-Mar-16 20:54:15

Rimmel Waterproof gets my vote! It's the only one that stays on well and doesn't make my eyes stream.

Lavande Wed 09-Mar-16 21:31:10

Bobby Brown or have eyelashes tinted.

Willow500 Wed 09-Mar-16 22:04:55

Benefit - They're Real - I'm totally blind without my contact lenses and this one doesn't have fibres that get behind my lenses.

lynnie1 Wed 09-Mar-16 22:06:17

I find that an eyelash primer works wonders. It lengthens my eyelashes so much, before I put my mascara on. I would recommend Liz Earle, for both the primer and mascara.

janeainsworth Wed 09-Mar-16 22:24:38

I use this one www.dhcuk.co.uk/mascara-perfect-pro-double-protection

It's brilliant. Anno have you tried a magnifying mirror? Makes putting on any makeup a lot easier smile

Nana3 Wed 09-Mar-16 22:38:34

Maybelline, I thought most people used it, it's always being recommended.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 09-Mar-16 23:14:55

I use the same DHC mascara as janea and for years have been recommending tubing mascaras to anyone who suffers from Panda eyes with mascara. I always had mascara smudges under my eyes until Blinc, the original tubing mascara was invented (still one of the best too). The inventor should get a medal for services to women all over the world! grin

Most brands do a tubing mascara these days and I've tried a couple of others, but I would only buy the DHC or Blinc again (wouldn't recommend the No7 one).

You use warm water to remove it - nothing else.

Jalima Wed 09-Mar-16 23:25:58

I have never heard of tubing mascara.
What happens if you go swimming?

I use Clinique but my lashes are very sparse nowadays.

f77ms Wed 09-Mar-16 23:33:02

I wear Clinique because it is gentle , hypoallergenic and washes off. . I buy the small trial size off Ebay because otherwise it dries up or goes off before it is used up. I always wipe the brush on a bit of paper before use so it doesn`t make my eyelashes clumpy .
Since using it I have noticed a definite improvement , my eyelashes don`t fall out like they used to and they also seemed to be much thicker . I wear it 5 days out of seven as I still don`t want to be seen out without a bit of make up ! Call it vanity but I feel so much better with it on .

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 10-Mar-16 00:07:15

Jalima nothing. It's perfect for going swimming. Here's a video for Blinc

Blinc

Tubing mascaras aren't painted on your lashes like traditional mascaras. The technology creates tubes of the product around each lash. It's very different, but it's been around for at least 10 years now. Taking it off for the first time is weird because all these bits that look like spider legs come away from your lashes. grin

NanaandGrampy Thu 10-Mar-16 09:03:00

I am armed with all your recommendations so its off to the shops to have a look around. Im intrigued by the Blinc mascara so will look out for that and I am a big Clarins fan so will swing past them and have a look.

Thanks for all your recommendations- I see a new mascara in my future.smile

Misslayed Thu 10-Mar-16 10:06:59

I have no colour left in my eyelashes now so I get them tinted every 4-5 weeks, but I also use mascara most days. I'm currently using one I bought in Lidl - Cien. Cheap as chips and one of the best I've ever bought! No clumps or spiders legs. Removed very easily with micellar water, which I use to cleanse my face every day anyway. I'm also intrigued by the tubes, never heard of that, will consult Dr Google.

bookdreamer Thu 10-Mar-16 10:13:38

I've just discovered the miscellar water. It's great