Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Moth Entered Wardrobe - We're Going on Holiday. Any Quick Ideas, Please? Help...

(31 Posts)
Candelle Sat 28-May-16 09:53:34

Dear GN-ers

Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with our problem: I saw a moth go into a wardrobe last night. I just couldn't get to it in time and it disappeared. We are about to go on a longish trip and I fear my clothes will be no more on our return.

Any ideas? Please don't say take everything out as this wardrobe is packed to the gunwales and more. I think it would be impossible to find the moth - or its prodigy.

I'd be very grateful if anyone has had experience of this and what to do in a day (whilst packing etc!).

Many thanks.

GandTea Sat 28-May-16 10:02:21

Take them all with you, one of us does exactly that (not saying who)

Elegran Sat 28-May-16 10:06:55

Take out anything particularly vulnerable (woollens,cashmere, anything that might be sweaty and moth-attractive) put them into sealed plastic bags and shove them into the freezer. When you get home, take them out and put another selection of less vulnerable clothes into the freezer.

Rapunzel100 Sat 28-May-16 10:06:55

You can buy impregnated papers to either hang in your wardrobe or stick behind the door. They remain active for six months and are guaranteed to kill eggs, larvae and moths. Dash into town quickly and then have a wonderful, carefree holiday!

Candelle Sat 28-May-16 10:20:57

*Grand Tea*: I try but there are still many left over! I should follow instructions on the forum about weeding out clothes.......

Elegran: Who are you calling sweaty!! Don't worry, I know that moths are attracted to sweat. I will remove the cashmere (it would be the wardrobe with 'wollies' in, wouldn't it?) but have no room in the freezer. Perhaps I can put them in zip-lock bags and and it/they may expire from oxygen starvation?! By the way, I am an animal lover, just not of moths...

Rapunzel100 Would you know the name of the product you suggest? They sound just what I need and I would love to try and buy them later this afternoon!

I'm off to pack but will have a peep later to see if any brand names have cropped up.

Many thanks to everyone for their help - it is much appreciated.

J52 Sat 28-May-16 23:38:57

Try to get hold of a spray called Zero. It kills moths. I spray all the wardrobes before we go away. Wilkinsons, JL or sometimes garden centres have it.

X

janeainsworth Sun 29-May-16 08:03:33

I got some things from John Lewis to hang in the wardrobe.
Also a can of spray which I use from time to time.
I keep my best things in polythene wrappers.

dramatictessa Sun 29-May-16 08:08:40

Let the moth and its progeny eat whatever they like...then you've got an --excuse- reason for buying a whole new wardrobe. grin

absent Sun 29-May-16 08:14:00

Are you sure that the offending creature is a clothes moth? If it isn't, you don't have to worry. You could always try shoving some bundles (or sachets) of lavender in the wardrobe, just as a precaution.

tiredoldwoman Sun 29-May-16 09:28:24

Act fast - Rentokil do a good spray but I would do my best to find the little bugger before it lays eggs !

Icyalittle Sun 29-May-16 09:40:09

If you google 'Moth killer impregnated paper' the product comes up. Either as R****kil Clothes Moths Killer Papers or Moth Killer Strips (I'm sure others are available!)

Jenty61 Sun 29-May-16 11:38:44

hang a lavender bag in your wardrobe that will get rid of moths...

Jane10 Sun 29-May-16 16:53:31

I read this and panicked-we'd seen 2 of the little b*****ds yesterday. We went to Homebase today and bought the impregnated papers mentioned above and also little cartridges to hang in the wardrobe. Fingers crossed!

Falconbird Mon 30-May-16 06:47:58

Good grief - I thought moths were things of the past. I remember then when I was a child and the smell of the mothballs.

I wonder why moths are back????

J52 Mon 30-May-16 07:35:33

There is an epidemic of clothes moths, mainly due to over warm houses, fitted carpets and warmer winters.
I googled the topic a while back and found discussions where people had carpets and upholstered furniture eaten by them!!

Everyone in our house has had 'destroy on sight' training! That involves identification, the use of a rolled up magazine and not squashing onto walls! grin

X

Jane10 Mon 30-May-16 07:36:18

I don't know falconbird but I do know we had an absolute infestation in one room at our last house. When we opened the door there was a carpet of them on the floor. Don't know how they got in or it all started. It was DSs room before he left home. Anyway its left us extremely concerned about moths as I'm sure you'll understand!

PRINTMISS Mon 30-May-16 07:55:52

Whenever I come across this thread when "browsing", I always read "Mother entered wardrobe"! No idea why, and the vision of a mother entering a wardrobe amuses me almost like the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe!

J52 Mon 30-May-16 08:50:42

Our DS1 brought them back from his Uni halls of residence. They were living in a little worn wool jacket. By the time I found them they had completely eaten a sleeve. Fortunately this kept them fed, so they didn't move on!

We cleared the fitted wardrobe, washed it in disinfectant, then painted the interior and sprayed it with moth killer. Before anything was put back it was inspected. Then I put loads of moth repellent and the sticky traps. It worked, I only caught one very, very small moth on the traps.

I am paranoid about moths now!
x

puppytoe Mon 30-May-16 09:21:16

They hate lavender. I had a problem several years ago. I always have one those lavender air fresheners in the utility room by the laundry basket and lavender scents in the wardrobes. I even used lavender scented washing powder for a while. I no longer have any problems.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 30-May-16 10:14:46

Ive had this problem in the past, in wardrobes and carpet under furniture. Now paranoid and Hoover the bejasus out of everything then spray liberally with moth killer.
I spray everything every couple of months and also hang moth killers in the wardrobes. Lavender doesn't kill them, just puts them off.
I still see the occasional moth and they're very easy to swat as they don't move much.

oznan Mon 30-May-16 10:21:57

I find the best moth repellant to be cedar balls which you can buy on Amazon,at John Lewis or in dry cleaners.Natural too-no nasty chemicals sprayed around your clothes and bedroom.

cavaliermum Mon 30-May-16 12:36:53

Cedar Balls are the way to go
And defo work

Pamish Mon 30-May-16 13:04:00

Get some spiders. The bigger the better. Mmmm lunch.

Jenty61 Mon 30-May-16 15:52:14

Spiders!!!!! I'd rather have the moths...?

GandTea Mon 30-May-16 15:56:05

If you don't like the spiders, a bird will eat them (now how do we get rid of the bird ? )