Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Oh! this great fat belly.

(106 Posts)
chicken Wed 08-Jun-16 12:40:25

I'm 5ft 5ins and under 10 stone, having lost one and a half stone on a diet, but I still look about six months pregnant even in shapewear. It's not that I'm inactive; I've put in three hours digging in the veg garden this morning and that's quite normal for me, but I just can't shift this great flabby belly! Has anyone got any ideas that might work---as long as it doesn't involve floor exercises? I'd never be able to get up again without a hoist.

GandTea Wed 08-Jun-16 12:48:47

Now there is a thread title to grab attention.

Sit ups would the exercise I would try, but, you say the floor is out, so do them on your bed. And another advantage, you can have a rest when you are done. But, little and often, don't strain, work up slowly with any exercise.

Bellanonna Wed 08-Jun-16 12:49:11

Do them on the bed? Im sure you could download some abdominal exercises. I'm afraid I've looked pregnant all my life, the one consolation that these days it's going to be highly unlikely. Impossible in fact as I have no hankering after a pregnancy achieved by artificial means at the age of 75. I'd say do special exercises thst target the abs, keep wearing the shapers and avoid the temptation to catch sight of yourself in shop windows, side on.

GandTea Wed 08-Jun-16 12:53:51

Bell, why not on the bed ?

chicken Wed 08-Jun-16 12:57:08

Yes, shop windows are a great deflater of egos, aren't they. I'll have to try sit-ups in bed, then fall asleep exhausted.

Bellanonna Wed 08-Jun-16 12:58:28

Ha ha GandT, we X posted. I hadn't seen yours and was replying direct to the OP, suggesting on the bed, with a question mark indicating .. perhaps/what do u think? It wasn't a query to your ( as yet unseen ) comment !! ?

Willow500 Wed 08-Jun-16 12:59:01

I think this is a problem for a lot of women and not necessarily something you can completely eliminate. I've never had a flat stomach - well maybe as a child smile and have been various weights throughout my life. Even when I was only 7.5 stone and going to the gym every day it never went away and now I've put some weight back on it's back again bigger and wobblier which is really annoying. Short of having a tummy tuck I'm resigned to just wearing clothes that hopefully disguise it a bit more!

GandTea Wed 08-Jun-16 13:02:09

Shop windows, I have just replaced our wardrobe doors with mirrored ones, on my side of he bed, not a pretty sight to wake up to.

Bellanonna Wed 08-Jun-16 13:03:35

Or you are perhaps a tad narcissistic G&T ??

ninathenana Wed 08-Jun-16 13:04:56

All my excess weight is around my middle sad
I can't wear a dress because my top half is two sizes smaller than the bottom, all due to my tum.
I'm watching replies with interest.

Bellanonna Wed 08-Jun-16 13:07:36

Yes my problem too Nina ! I need the waist size for trousers but they are then big on the hips. I can't wear dresses as I'm too small on top. In the grand scheme of things I suppose it's not a huge problem.

GandTea Wed 08-Jun-16 13:11:12

Oh Bell. if only you could see me, you would never have suggested that. grin

gettingonabit Wed 08-Jun-16 13:12:28

I've got a belly too, for the first time ever. I've always put weight on my legs first, but, since having dd....

I'm wondering if women are somehow predisposed to putting weight on the belly as they age.

I've been doing Pilates and weight training, both of which develop the core. The belly is still there, but at least I can suck the bugger in a bit better now. Posture's better too, which minimises the belly effect.

Bellanonna Wed 08-Jun-16 13:12:31

....ah, if only! Oh, maybe not then?

gettingonabit Wed 08-Jun-16 13:13:07

...and well done on your weight lossflowers.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 08-Jun-16 13:39:33

You might be wasting your time doing the wrong exercises. It's estimated that 1 in 3 mothers have a condition called Diastasis Recti (aka abdominal separation), which is where certain abdominal muscles don't heal properly after pregnancy. More often than not, the only sign is a rounded tummy.

Doing regular abdominal exercises can make it worse. There's a simple test you can do yourself (look on YouTube), but your GP should be able do it. New mothers are aware of the problem these days, but years ago it was really only diagnosed if it caused a hernia.

If Diastasis is the problem, then there are exercises that can help, but sit-ups, etc. won't work.

J52 Wed 08-Jun-16 14:09:06

T shirts always seem to emphasise my 'round' bit! I try to wear non t shirt material, skimming tops. Tum still there, but less visible. grin

x

chelseababy Wed 08-Jun-16 14:16:00

I saw on YouTube a series of tummy exercises you do standing up. I found them, watched some of them but never actually tried them!

hildajenniJ Wed 08-Jun-16 14:22:23

I've got a rounded tummy these days, but I put it down to inactivity. I've had knee trouble since February, and have been unable to go for my daily walk. Fortunately it is slowly getting better, so walking will be back on my agenda shortly. I'm also going to start the 5:2 diet again!!

Luckygirl Wed 08-Jun-16 14:25:18

I have a bigger belly than I used to have - a certain person who shares my home thinks it's great, so who am I to argue!

Liz46 Wed 08-Jun-16 14:27:11

It may not help Chicken but a lady I know has lost weight. She was quite 'lumpy' but now has a good figure and a flat tummy. It was caused by having a very bad back and now she goes to yoga and pilate lessons. She told me that for the first time in her life she has abs.

annodomini Wed 08-Jun-16 14:35:21

I blame my spare tyre on 5 years of steroids, albeit the dose is now very low. I hope to be off the tablets by Christmas and then I may have nothing to blame but my appetite.

NanKate Wed 08-Jun-16 14:51:02

Anno I was recommended to the low carb high fat eating plan on GN as I am on steroids too, only for a few weeks so far. The weight is just coming off pound by pound and I am not hungry at all. May be worth a look. I still have a few carbs and alcohol smile

Best of luck becoming steroid free I am at the beginning of the long journey. sad

annodomini Wed 08-Jun-16 15:36:08

I put my mind to losing weight when first on steroids - and I did, but somewhere along the line my will power evaporated!

Lona Wed 08-Jun-16 15:42:27

My belly is definitely due to middle age spread and Lurpak!
Luckygirl my partner (part time) thinks it's great too! ?