Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Unhappy starting school

(130 Posts)
Andyf Thu 15-Sep-16 20:29:32

Our grandson started school last week also. Like your granddaughter SusieB50 he just did mornings last week. He had two days where he cried and didn't want to stay. Today was his first full day, he's tolerating it but not liking it yet.
Last night he was looking through the window and he said to his Daddy, "I wish I was a bird then I could fly away from school".
His fourth birthday was only three weeks ago. He seems so small at school.

obieone Thu 15-Sep-16 20:29:01

informally, when stern teacher is not around.

obieone Thu 15-Sep-16 20:27:47

Ask for advice from the teaching assistant in the first instance.

kittylester Thu 15-Sep-16 19:00:02

dgs was awful after his first full day which we put down to tiredness. His uncle had to be peeled off me and, seeing how upset I was, she would ring me at home and let me know how he was. He's fine now and has two degrees his name so it didn't put him off learning and he was always fine by the time I picked him up.

It is distressing but will probably turn out ok.

SusieB50 Thu 15-Sep-16 18:42:07

Can anyone help/ advise me how to help a distressed daughter ? Her eldest has just started school where she attended nursery quite happily . All was fine last week when she finished at lunchtime ,but this week it's all day and she had to be peeled off DD yesterday sobbing that she didn't want to stay . Poor DD was in tears too . She said the class teacher looks a bit stern ,but the teaching assistant is very smiley. She foolishly went and peeped into the playground at lunch time and DGD was just sitting on a bench looking very unhappy . SiL took her this morning but it was no better . They are not allowed to come home for lunch which I think is a bit harsh. DGD is very shy with new people but otherwise a bubbly happy child . It's so sad to see them all upset like this .