Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's for breakfast?

(83 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 22-Sep-16 08:23:28

Anyone had breakfast yet? I can't decide - but it will involve eggs.

Think I'll have an espresso in the meantime - decisions, decisions. brew

gillybob Thu 22-Sep-16 08:27:14

Very rarely do breakfast on a work day * River* as I am usually running around like a mad thing . I do sometimes take my porridge to work with me or maybe a yogurt to have at my desk mid morning . Weekends are different and I usually enjoy porridge with fruit and/or nuts and a crumpet or two.

Greyduster Thu 22-Sep-16 08:28:38

I have just had my firs cup of coffee, but breakfast will be the usual one weetabix and three prunes. It's about all I can manage to push down early in the morning. And that only because DH stands over me until I've eaten it, otherwise I would skip breakfast altogether.

annsixty Thu 22-Sep-16 08:34:22

How strange Greyduster as I have one weetabix and four prunes, never more, never less. It has to be preceded by tea though, strong and hot.

J52 Thu 22-Sep-16 08:37:08

Unsweetened Museli, with a fruit compote I made with a handful of the last of the soft fruit and 3 plums!

Riverwalk Thu 22-Sep-16 08:41:01

One Weetabix! shock

Grannyboots1 Thu 22-Sep-16 08:42:53

Special K flakes with half a banana and 3 walnuts, followed by a small slice of granary toast with marmite.

BBbevan Thu 22-Sep-16 08:47:29

Chopped nectarine, fig and strawberries, Topped with full fat Greek yogurt.

ninathenana Thu 22-Sep-16 08:48:33

Glad it's not just me that was shock at one Weetabix. I would love to say I'd be happy with that.
I had a small bowl of Tesco strawberry crisp and just making my cup of tea.

ginny Thu 22-Sep-16 08:49:11

This morning I had 'overnight' oats.
Sometimes porridge or Weetabix with fruit. Occasionally grilled bacon , poached egg and a slice of toast.

Always a big mug of tea, can't abide coffee first thing.

Can't go without or by 10ish I start to feel a bit faint .

NonnaW Thu 22-Sep-16 08:53:52

Granola with a few seeds and nuts. Soft fruit too when we have it. Two cups of coffee and that does me. I could happily go till lunchtime without eating but I need my coffee.

millymouge Thu 22-Sep-16 08:58:18

Bowl of fruit and fibre in the summer and porridge in the winter. Just about manage to get that down, if I don't DH moans at me.

harrigran Thu 22-Sep-16 09:02:47

Porridge with maple syrup, a sliced nectarine and a large handful of blueberries. Big mug of coffee after fruit.

kittylester Thu 22-Sep-16 09:04:55

A bowl of gf cornflakes! Saturday and Sundays - two gf crumpets with butter and syrup.

Gagagran Thu 22-Sep-16 09:05:13

Just had a bowl of porridge on our return from the supermarket run. DH treated himself to two almond croissants. Coffee for him and tea for me.

Greyduster Thu 22-Sep-16 09:16:24

I actually hate prunes, Ann, but if I didn't eat them voluntarily, DH would tie me to a chair and force feed them to me, as he is the world's greatest advocate of prunes and their effect on the digestive system. He is really very boring on the subject of prunes, so I eat them just to keep him quiet!!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 22-Sep-16 09:19:45

A bowl of nutty seedy muesli (yum) with some rice crispies mixed in in an endeavour to reduce the flatulencial effects of the oats.

Soon be porridge weather.

TriciaF Thu 22-Sep-16 09:24:48

I always have a soft boiled egg with 2 slices of toast, one white one wholemeal. The wholemeal keeps me 'regular'. Plus orange juice. Not keen on cereals, or porridge.
Husband has muesli and a banana, and orange juice.

Riverwalk Thu 22-Sep-16 09:29:56

Thank goodness another egg eater - not many of us savoury girls on here!

I had scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, a tomato and more coffee smile

shysal Thu 22-Sep-16 09:36:54

I don't eat until I have brunch at about 11.30, to get the fasting benefit. I then usually have eggs in some form and perhaps some bacon and tomato.

rosesarered Thu 22-Sep-16 09:46:36

I have different things, depending on how I feel, toast with butter and marmalade one day, porridge the next, a boiled egg ( or two) etc and this morning I had a yummy toasted fruit teacake with a chopped banana.The only constant each morning is two large mugs of tea.

Izabella Thu 22-Sep-16 09:48:08

Two eggs laid this morning and scrambled with home grown chillis. Two cups of tea.

KatyK Thu 22-Sep-16 09:59:11

A cup of hot water with honey and a slice of lemon, porride and fruit and a cup of coffee today. smile

NanaandGrampy Thu 22-Sep-16 10:36:17

Boiled eggs and soldiers...white bread 'proper' butter , tomato juice and a latte :-) .......heaven !

TriciaF Thu 22-Sep-16 11:00:57

As a side issue, have you ever checked the ingredients in cereals? It's difficult to find one now without sugar. Husband is fussy about no sugar and I can only find one muesli that is sugar-free. Some even have bits of chocolate.