Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Problem with Cornish and Scouse accents?

(37 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 05-Oct-16 07:04:28

Seems there are communication problems with different accents. smile

Codswallop

whitewave Wed 05-Oct-16 07:09:50

Definitely! As a Cornish woman I find broad Scottish accents impossible. I married an English man and that was bad enough.

thatbags Wed 05-Oct-16 07:18:00

There are communication problems with mumbling and lack of consonant articulation as well. At risk of being shot down in flames (I'm used to it ? ), I think anyone who takes the trouble to speak clearly/not too fast can be understood whatever their accent. I often have to ask MrB and Minibags to just slow down their speech: one of them mumbles and the other speaks so fast I only get about twenty percent of the words. It can be like listening to a foreign language that one's only just learning.

Riverwalk Wed 05-Oct-16 07:38:43

Just heard the scientist on Radio 4.

The lady cod doesn't release her eggs until she's sussed-out the man cod but due to global warming and Cornish fish moving north they can't communicate well! grin

Grannyknot Wed 05-Oct-16 07:45:55

smile

NfkDumpling Wed 05-Oct-16 07:47:40

I can empathise completely with the Cornish cod. I find Scots (especially Glaswegian) and Newcastle accents a foreign language. Perhaps they should head around here to the East Anglian coast, my accent is always being confused with West Country.

Alima Wed 05-Oct-16 07:47:42

Sounds like me, Derby, and DH, Glasgow. 40 years of complete miscomprehension!

tanith Wed 05-Oct-16 07:58:18

I think it's wonderful that we such diverse accents.

AlieOxon Wed 05-Oct-16 08:32:40

Having lived in Dundee for a while and had little trouble, I later was in Aberdeen for a year....and did get 'tuned in' by the end of that time, but not to some there who had a really broad accent AND dialect words.
About my baby, in the street market: " Us ut a loonie 'r a quinie?".....yes I did get it, but he translated anyway, as I was obviously a Sassenach.

grannylyn65 Wed 05-Oct-16 08:33:45

Och aye!

M0nica Wed 05-Oct-16 09:05:40

I went up to university in Newcastle in 1961, when most people spoke a far more concentrated version of Geordie than the smoothed-out version you hear today.

It didn't take me long to realise that the problem wasn't the accent, which I absolutely loved - and still do, it was the vocabulary. It was said then that Norwegians found Geordie easier to understand than English speakers because they had more words in common.

Perhaps if the cod were to take language classes.....hmm

Wobblybits Wed 05-Oct-16 09:15:39

I love local dialects, long may they remain.

morethan2 Wed 05-Oct-16 09:17:09

I love accents. My husbands family have lovely soft southern Irish accents. My children all have southern English accents and I've have a Liverpudlian accent,my daughters present partner blush has a midlands accent,. The extended family have welsh, manchunian, and Jamaican.

Nain9bach Wed 05-Oct-16 09:47:06

I have a hearing problem. So imagine being married to a man that deliberately whispers or turns so you can't lip read! Rest assured I'm now divorced. Accents can be tricky but surely once you've explained the issue things will improve. If not, do as I did walk away.

trisher Wed 05-Oct-16 09:58:27

Aa diva kna what yer all on aboot. Geordie lasses ave been mixin it wi all sortsa folks for ages. Howay man yer jest get on wi it like.

radicalnan Wed 05-Oct-16 10:27:48

Oh the sexiness of an accent..........Irish........makes me melt, Scots always sound so competent (Dr Finlay).. Geordies are deliciously swaggering, Scouse, there is no better accent for a joke to be delivered in, and London of course, cheeky, friendly, upbeat.......all part of life's rich tapestry and free.

Worlass Wed 05-Oct-16 10:36:51

I also went to Uni in Newcastle and found it relatively easy to understand the Geordie accent when being spoken to directly. On the other hand, attempting to understand two or more Geordies in conversation with each other was well-nigh impossible. I herald from the North East, so not an alien territory. Must say I developed a great affection for Newcastle and its people, which I maintain to this day. Thanks trisher, aa kna what yer on aboot. grin

Elegran Wed 05-Oct-16 10:50:24

I am just back from Dublin. I understood most of it - to us two bemused Scottish septagenarians studying an inadequate map, "Are youse efter findin' somewheres?" - but even the incomprehensible bits were music.

Jayanna9040 Wed 05-Oct-16 10:56:08

Ah Nfkdumpiling wish I still lived where people talk proper!

Libmoggy Wed 05-Oct-16 11:05:11

We had a Geordie member of staff and we gradually learned to understand her. One day I heard her talking to a young man with a strong Northern Ireland accent. They literally couldn't understand one another

foxie Wed 05-Oct-16 11:10:10

Listen to the words and not the sounds. Difficult to do I know but once you've trained your ear it all becomes clear.

Jalima Wed 05-Oct-16 11:52:06

Reminds me of the time when we were overseas and I carefully told an old lady who was gabbling excitedly at me that I was sorry but I did not speak her language.
She was from Glasgow. blush

Lewlew Wed 05-Oct-16 12:01:28

Ooo-errr... there be pirates in these waters! grin

Shortlegs Wed 05-Oct-16 12:04:00

At least we can be happy to know there will be no cod with Brummie accents.

grandMattie Wed 05-Oct-16 12:18:13

Well! I was brought up in the colonies and have a French intonation; went to university in AUstralia, and ended up in UK. First person I spoke to had an impenetrable Cornish accent...
I find the Ulster accent very difficult, Glaswegian, Scouse and Georgie too, but usually make out what they mean.
As for me? Most people understand me.
I didn't have problems with releasing my eggs grin