Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I've had half of a good idea - help me have the rest of it!!

(35 Posts)
kittylester Fri 14-Oct-16 13:52:37

As I've mentioned previously, DH is set to retire at the end of November and I would like to buy him the equivalent of a gold watch. He has worked for the NHS, on a self employed basis, for very nearly 50 years and first retired 12 years ago.

We had a big party then and made a fuss of him and then he went back to work. confused We don't want to risk having another party in case he goes back to work again!! And, it's a bit close to Christmas.grin

I'd like to mark the end of his working life in some way but he doesn't need a watch or clock of any sort. We are going away to mark the new era but I'd like something just for him to reward his dedication to the NHS and his family. Anyone any good ideas. It doesn't have to be serious or expensive.

Katek Fri 14-Oct-16 14:10:06

What about an "experience" of some kind? Family took DH tank driving for his last big birthday....he had a fabulous day!!

hildajenniJ Fri 14-Oct-16 14:11:29

When I retired from the nursing home, the staff there bought me gardening stuff,xand a voucher for the local craft shop. Probably not your husband's idea of a retirement gift! What are his hobbies? Could you buy him something to do with that? We bought my Dad an electronic keyboard with loads of gizmos thinking that he might learn to play it. I think it came out mostly for the grandchildren! grin

Wobblybits Fri 14-Oct-16 14:18:37

How about a Pullman dining experience, I'm sure he would like to share his gift with you. We have been on the Orient Express and the BlueBell line, both were excellent. Memories last longer than a watch. The Norther Bell runs from Birmingham.

ninathenana Fri 14-Oct-16 14:40:32

Would he appreciate a first edition of a book..
My friend is a massive Dickens fan she was given first edition of one of his books on retirement by her colleagues. I know it wasn't massively expensive but was beautifully wrapped and presented.

Linsco56 Fri 14-Oct-16 14:41:53

Early December would be an ideal time to visit Norway see the Northern Lights and enjoy their Christmas markets. Other activities such as dog-sledding would help to make this a fabulous winter break.

trisher Fri 14-Oct-16 14:48:02

Is there something he has always wanted to do but never really had the time/equipment for. A friend was bought a piano when she retired, she hadn't played since she was a child but loved the chance to try again, some musical instrument? or if he likes art, painting equipment and maybe a painting holiday, or photography-same. There are always golf clubs of course! Friend's husband has flying lesson!

kittylester Fri 14-Oct-16 15:02:26

I just bought him a camera for his birthday and he has booked 4 trips away to go to jazz concerts.

Ana Fri 14-Oct-16 15:08:59

Is it that you want something your DH can keep, and look at, even it it's a bit 'jokey'? I don't know in what branch of the NHS he worked, but maybe something to do with that?

I'm sure you can commission a figurine or small painting for a reasonable price.

Wobblybits Fri 14-Oct-16 15:14:12

A piece of antique silver.

What are his interests ?

Bbnan Fri 14-Oct-16 15:15:31

My DH is also retiring in December on his 60th birthday does not want to go away till spring
I am going to buy him the gold iPad Pro.....has laptop and iPad but feel he will enjoy this as it's a good size yet portable

trisher Fri 14-Oct-16 15:17:53

Stop buying him stuff kittylester smile

Wobblybits Fri 14-Oct-16 15:19:10

My preference would be something that would either last and become an heirloom or an experience. Laptops etc seem to mundane.

Wobblybits Fri 14-Oct-16 15:23:05

Buy yourself one of these, he will love it. grin

kittylester Fri 14-Oct-16 15:35:08

He'd love it if I looked like that wbgrin

Ana, I really want to get him something to keep and you might have planted a seed of an idea!! Thank you.

Ana Fri 14-Oct-16 17:21:23

smile

Jalima Fri 14-Oct-16 17:30:25

What about a new chair kittylester?

Here's just the thing:

uk.pinterest.com/pin/452259987550609834/

Granny23 Fri 14-Oct-16 17:32:11

It might seem a bit far fetched but have you thought of nominating him for an OBE or MBE? Sounds as though he has devoted his life to the NHS and therefore the welfare of all of us. This is exactly the kind of person who deserves such an honour.

kittylester Fri 14-Oct-16 17:33:48

Brilliant, Jalima! That was sort of where Ana had nudged me!

kittylester Fri 14-Oct-16 17:35:39

I had vaguely thought about that Granny23 but he would say he was only doing his job and he was paid for it.

Wobblybits Fri 14-Oct-16 17:38:58

Seen your photo Kitty, you would look fabulous. smile

grannyactivist Fri 14-Oct-16 18:19:38

I know I've said this before, but we tend to buy a (twinned) toilet to mark special occasions. The Wonderful Man bought me one for our Pearl Wedding Anniversary. (I did ask him for it!) grin

You get a framed photo of 'your' toilet and you can write an inscription.
www.toilettwinning.org/gift-box

Luckygirl Fri 14-Oct-16 18:20:04

We all bought my OH a mandolin. He is a violinist and the fingering is the same and he has really enjoyed it - I would not say he plays brilliantly, but he does enjoy it.

Wobblybits Fri 14-Oct-16 18:28:26

Twinned toilet shock

shysal Fri 14-Oct-16 19:13:11

Could you commission a personalized caricature from a photo to include a background scene based on aspects of his work? We did this for several leavers from the Hospital where I worked. They were clever and funny and done by a local artist, which nowadays would be rather pricey. A site like this offers a cheaper alternative.
www.tctoons.com/