Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Principles.

(69 Posts)
rubylady Tue 15-Nov-16 03:18:54

So, you have parcels turning up every so often of things that you have ordered online.

You have a box delivered. You check the name. It is yours. You check the address. It is yours. You check the postmark. You can't read it. You open it. It contains something that you cannot remember ordering. You check your accounts. You cannot find it. You check for an invoice or written note. There is none. There is only newspaper for packaging. There is no record of where it has come from or who from.

What would you do? Would you keep the item?

absent Tue 15-Nov-16 05:17:14

Given the absence of information it would be pretty much impossible to return the item. I think I would probably keep it (unused) for, say, three months in case its providence came to light, then take it to a charity shop. Of course, it does depend a little bit on what the item is; a new frying pan is a good charity shop donation, but a sex toy might not be.

mumofmadboys Tue 15-Nov-16 05:38:00

Could it be a gift from someone?

Maggiemaybe Tue 15-Nov-16 06:18:41

What is it? Sounds as if it might be a scam? The invoice might follow. We had something similar with a printer ink company at work, and of course we didn't pay. I can't imagine they would target individuals though. Just keep it safe for now, see what happens.

Mumsy Tue 15-Nov-16 07:08:49

Doubt it is a scam, sounds to me like someone has bought you a gift and had it sent straight to you hence there being no invoice in the package.

cornergran Tue 15-Nov-16 07:28:57

The thoughts about it being a gift could be accurate ruby but I think it's unlikely to have come directly from a supplier if the packing is newspaper. Could it be from an individual who has forgotten to put their greeting inside the box? If it is something that could be a gift then the likely sender could come to mind. You really can't return it if there is no indication who sent it. So a mystery forever maybe?

grannypiper Tue 15-Nov-16 07:35:47

Must be too early in the mor ing for me, when i read PRINCIPLES i thought it was about the shop.Think i need more sleep

Anya Tue 15-Nov-16 08:10:48

Tell us more!

As you cannot return it, I'd put it in a drawer for the moment and wait to see if the penny drops or someone asks about their 'gift'

Welshwife Tue 15-Nov-16 08:47:27

I think it very odd if newspaper is used in the packaging - I have not had anything packed with newspaper from a bone fide shop - even when OH orders car parts they come in other packaging.

Marmark1 Tue 15-Nov-16 08:50:41

Yes,keep it boxed up,and wait and see.

Elegran Tue 15-Nov-16 09:06:13

I'd have a good look at the newspaper to see if it was local to somewhere specific. That might give a clue to who had sent it. If not, I'd pack it all up again and stow it away until after Christmas. Meanwhile I'd ask around friends and family and keep eyes and ears open for any hints that it was a gift from one of them.

If no-one had claimed responsibility by then, and there was no way of tracing the source to return it, I'd either use it with a clear conscience or give it away.

Elegran Tue 15-Nov-16 09:09:41

And if I had a son away at Uni, he would be suspect number one for buying something that he thought would just suit his mother, and padding the parcel with heavy newspaper that would cost twice as much to post as light bubble wrap.

mcem Tue 15-Nov-16 09:18:29

Check the Amazon Scam thread. Might be relevant.

Anya Tue 15-Nov-16 09:36:59

That's a very clever idea Elegran

Elegran Tue 15-Nov-16 09:44:22

Which idea, Anya, checking the newspaper for clues or suspecting the student son?

shysal Tue 15-Nov-16 09:54:39

Is it something that you would want or is it totally unsuitable? It would only be meant for you if it seems appropriate.
I would either give it to a charity shop or keep it and make a donation to charity. I could then make use of it with a clear conscience.
I am a keen Ebayer and have many postal deliveries, but I can never remember what the parcel is until I open it! Did my C. shopping on line yesterday so have got about 20 coming soon!

ExaltedWombat Tue 15-Nov-16 10:11:00

So what is it? Or is this a hypothetical question?

moobox Tue 15-Nov-16 10:12:26

Got a Fortnum and Mason's hamper like that once. Remained a mystery but we ate it anyway

Ana Tue 15-Nov-16 10:13:10

Was the address label typed or handwritten?

Sometimes I've had purchases from e-bay packed with newspaper.

hollystone Tue 15-Nov-16 10:13:38

Have you ordered off ebay and are awaiting a delivery? If so could be the seller has mixed the items up? That has happened to me twice.

Lilyflower Tue 15-Nov-16 10:27:04

I had a copy of 'Time Out' delivered along with a subscription number inked to my name and address. In a complete panic that someone was scamming my credit I called the publication and they assured me that no money was being siphoned from my account. I found out that a kind friend had set up the subscription as a thoughtful and welcome present. Your item might well be a gift.

Cosafina Tue 15-Nov-16 10:40:27

It could well be a gift.

A couple of years ago I ordered a printer to give to DD as a Christmas present - and they sent FOUR!!

I spoke to the delivery company who said they had delivered what was requested and it was nothing to do with them so I could do what I liked with them.

I spoke to the company I'd ordered from who said as far as they were concerned they had only sent me one, so I could do what I liked with the other 3.

So I sold two of them, gave one to DD, kept one for me and gave my old one to the cleaner.

Happiness all round!

SunnySusie Tue 15-Nov-16 10:44:38

Beware! Romano Dias who used to live near me died from consuming a mystery package:

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cambridgeshire-man-dies-after-accidentally-drinking-crystal-meth-worth-34000-8931181.html

Mumsyface Tue 15-Nov-16 10:50:49

I believe there is law relating to return and/or payment for unrequested items. However, if no one is requesting payment I don't suppose that would apply, and you are hardly able to return something with no return address. I would put it away somewhere safe for a few months, check the law and sleep with a clear conscience. I send quite a few gifts to my grandchildren, ordered online as I work abroad, and I always tell my sons and forward them the delivery and payment details in case there are any issues. I hope it's something nice and you get to keep it!

Teddy123 Tue 15-Nov-16 10:52:10

Fascinating! Please do tell WHAT WAS IN THE BOX?