Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do your kids remember your Wedding Anniversary? Do you expect them to?

(120 Posts)
JackyB Wed 04-Jan-17 11:29:51

I always gave my parents a card, and on their 25th a present, but my children say they weren't there when we married so what has it got to do with them. I suppose they are right, in a way. I prefer not to think about wedding anniversaries, quite honestly, but I am still miffed that my sister-in-law has never once mentioned it, and had found something better to do when I invited her out for dinner for our 25th.

So - mixed feeling here. How do other families stand on the matter?

janeainsworth Wed 04-Jan-17 11:34:58

DM and DMiL always remembered our anniversary, and I always give the DCs money and a card on theirs.
My sister and I gave our parents somrthingnin their silver wedding, and I gave DM a bouquet on what would have been their Golden.
DCs don't remember ours but did all come to our Ruby wedding party!

goldengirl Wed 04-Jan-17 11:38:19

DD and DS send us wishes but that is all - and I don't expect any more than that. I used to send a card and flowers / gift to my parents but they remembered ours but I don't think it's an issue with our own children and that's fine by me.

Greyduster Wed 04-Jan-17 11:48:53

Our two don't remember ordinary anniversaries, and neither would I expect them to. They did, however, mark our 25th, our 40th and our 50th. We always send an anniversary card to DS and DiL, but as DD and her partner are not married we have no anniversary to mark. I find this very sad really, because they have been together since she was 21 and she is 47 this year, so I suppose it should have been their 25th last year at some point. They don't seem to think it's of any importance.

Christinefrance Wed 04-Jan-17 11:55:28

No my children don't mark the occasion, it's my second marriage and my husband is not their father so understandable. I'm not bothered by this at all. I think big anniversaries are different perhaps, 25th or 50th.

Stansgran Wed 04-Jan-17 12:00:57

I would expect ours to notice our fiftieth which will come up in 2019 but that's because ,if were spared ,I intend to make an outrageous fuss.

nigglynellie Wed 04-Jan-17 12:05:45

My children certainly don't remember our wedding anniversary and I wouldn't expect them to as its our celebration. I never acknowledge theirs either for the same reason. My parents married on my mother's birthday!! Two birds with one stone, my stepfather used to say with a wink!!! I acknowledged the birthday but not the anniversary, again it was their personal celebration, and nothing to do with anyone else.

janeainsworth Wed 04-Jan-17 12:17:26

Stansgran I do hope you're spared so you can enthrall us all when the time comes grin

BBbevan Wed 04-Jan-17 12:22:20

Mine always do. It was our 52 on Monday and we have had two very thoughtful cards

vampirequeen Wed 04-Jan-17 12:40:52

No one remembers our wedding anniversary except me and DH.

paddyann Wed 04-Jan-17 12:47:17

my children always remember my mother in law rarely ,only the special ones .Its not important though,the only important thing is our yearly visit to church we married in,we stand at the altar at the time we got married on the anniversary .Thats been the way for over 40 years and long may it continue

grannyactivist Wed 04-Jan-17 13:16:20

Aw padddyann that's a lovely thing to do. smile

The Wonderful Man and I exchange cards on our anniversary, but I don't expect anyone else to remember. For our Silver anniversary we had a big bash and so of course everyone remembered (was reminded) and we had a family meal for our 30th, so again the family bought cards and gifts (my children bought me pearls). I'm not sure if we'll do anything for our Coral (35th) anniversary, but we'll celebrate again if I live long enough to get to our Ruby anniversary. When we got married I always said we would have a big celebration for our silver wedding because I wasn't sure if my health would hold out for the later big ones. grin

cornergran Wed 04-Jan-17 14:15:47

I always gave a card and small gift to my parents, our children sometimes send a text but often forget. The exception was our 40th which they were very involved with, there had also been a gift on our 25th. We give a card and a small gift on theirs. I'm sort of relieved that it is not unusual now to mark parents' wedding anniversaries,

Antonia Wed 04-Jan-17 14:38:33

We celebrated our 40th anniversary in a favourite hotel in Brussels. One of our DDs quietly arranged for champagne and chocolates to be delivered to our room when we arrived. We were very surprised and over the moon!

ninathenana Wed 04-Jan-17 15:22:30

My DM always sent us an anniiversary card and I always sent DP's a card.H's sister used to send us one but gave up about 10 yrs ago. H and I bought my DP's a carrige clock for their silver. Our D sent us a ruby wedding card (the first from either child, they were too young at our 25th and 30th) but no gift, S didn't even bother with a card.

Teetime Wed 04-Jan-17 15:25:31

We don't expect anyone else but us to remember out wedding anniversaries and I have to say I don't remember anyone else's!! Next year we celebrate our 40th year together (an my 65th birthday yuk yuk) and we may do a family thing then but maybe not!! I'm not much good at parties.

Leticia Wed 04-Jan-17 15:32:33

I don't do wedding anniversaries, unless big ones, and wouldn't expect my children to- until we get to 40 or 50yrs.

callgirl1 Wed 04-Jan-17 15:39:30

4 of our children remember, eldest son rarely remembers any occasions. But they only bought cards and presents for the big ones. I always send cards on their anniversaries, although youngest son says we shouldn`t bother (he`s not a very sentimental sort!) My mother always remembered our anniversaries, MIL never, although we bought them a present for their ruby wedding.

tanith Wed 04-Jan-17 15:48:58

Both our daughters usually remember even though OH is their stepdad which is nice. We share the anniversary with two of our grandchildren/nephews so they do remember as I do theirs. I don't have to remember my children's anniversaries because despite us having 8 grandchildren none of them are currently married grin

Greyduster Wed 04-Jan-17 15:54:22

Teetime I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't good at parties. All our big anniversaries have been very low key affairs - just the two of us, and, exceptionally, for our 50th, the children and their children. I was talking to the most long standing of our friends on Christmas Day and she said to me "Wasn't it your 50th this year?" I said yes it was but we didn't make a fuss about it, in much the same way as we didn't make a fuss of our wedding. "I thought it was" she said "you got married the same year we did". Her husband - DH's best friend - died four years ago, and I was so sad I was completely lost for words. Theirs would certainly not have been a low key celebration.

KatyK Wed 04-Jan-17 16:06:38

Ours usually send us a card. Yes I do expect them to remember. We always remember theirs. Like Stansgran we will have been married 50 years in 2019 and I will be 70 that year. I shall expect to be made a great fuss of but i'm not holding my breath grin

Luckygirl Wed 04-Jan-17 16:15:26

No and No - in answer to the questions.

They did remember our 40th because we had a big celebration which they were involved in helping to orgnise.

harrigran Wed 04-Jan-17 16:34:48

Yes mine always remember our anniversary, cards every year and they organised a dinner party for our Ruby anniversary. This year is our 50th and also DD's 25th.

hildajenniJ Wed 04-Jan-17 16:37:48

No and no. I don't think it is of any interest to my children. My son is still single, and DD has been married for eleven years. I don't mark the occasion, and she wouldn't expect me to.

morethan2 Wed 04-Jan-17 16:53:33

No I don't really expect anyone to remember apart from my husband and myself. They did remember our 25th and 40th but only because we kept harping on about it. I'll remind them again at our 50th hopefully. I acknowledged their first but nothing after that. What with 3adult children and partners and 8 grandchildren we'd never stop celebrating/sending cards/flowers. It's their special day as our anniversary is ours so no it's the couples special day.