Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Traveller sites

(70 Posts)
Fairydoll2030 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:03:59

A relative lives in a very nice, expensive area of our town. The local council are going ahead with plans (in fact they have brought them forward three years) to build a huge number of affordable accommodation in addition to a Traveller site on green belt land that abuts their estate and use the access road to the estate, which is currently a no through road, to accommodate all the additional traffic. Local properties fetched up to several hundred thousand pounds. Now prices are dropping rapidly. No one is surprised. Protestors are accused of belonging to the NIMBY (not in my back yard brigade). And who can blame them!!
On looking at a Question and Answer on Gypsies and Travellers page on the local councils website I note that, according to the author, Travellers work in a variety of professions including Teaching and healthcare . Some, apparently are 'academics' and some work in the building and landscaping trades (we know that, don't we?).

So, out of interest, are there any Traveller grans on Gransnet who are academics or teachers, or this this just the local council bullshitting spinning a line in order to minimise the protests?

stillaliveandkicking Mon 16-Jan-17 21:43:49

Not sure I get what you're saying Annie? I was stating that the traveller culture is based on putting girls in frilly frocks on their wedding day and up their arse skirts and make up most others. It is a culture based on mans desires and keeping women under control.

Men fall about drunk far more than women do. But in saying that girls are free then to do the same in our culture (I'm not an advocate of either). Im an advocate of freedom for women, the gypsy culture is certainly not.

Anniebach Mon 16-Jan-17 21:38:16

The few? Thst is funny. I am not surprised you have no problem with girls falling around drunk but object to a frilly dress on a child,

stillaliveandkicking Mon 16-Jan-17 21:34:32

Rather the few who do that than being controlled. Yes! any day.

Anniebach Mon 16-Jan-17 21:32:18

What? no let's keep our culture, girls rolling out of pubs and vomiting on the streets

I respect all cultures, I do not expect people to live as I do ,their way may not be my way but I accept this and respect it.

stillaliveandkicking Mon 16-Jan-17 20:39:00

Thinking about it more. Up their arse ones too. Great culture, lets roll it out over Britain.

Grannyben Mon 16-Jan-17 20:30:46

Oh dear, frilly dresses! That's certainly one reason for abolishing a culture

stillaliveandkicking Mon 16-Jan-17 20:09:42

Do you think that the way girls are treated in that "culture" is right Annie? They're given frilly dresses, make up from the age dot and "groomed", do you not think that?

Anniebach Mon 16-Jan-17 20:06:41

In your opinion

stillaliveandkicking Mon 16-Jan-17 20:01:29

A "culture" depicts a way of life for a group or large mass of people. The Traveller culture is abhorrent where women are concerned. Many a "culture" is wrong and should be abolished and the traveller one is amongst them.

stillaliveandkicking Mon 16-Jan-17 19:56:41

Why would I have records Annie?

Anniebach Mon 16-Jan-17 19:42:29

Still alive, you have records you can post giving the numbers ?

Anniebach Mon 16-Jan-17 19:41:33

Here a farmer gave a field for travellers to park up, respectable semi detachies pour excrement around the field, took us ages to clear the muck. As for male orientated, they are very protective of female members of their family and their community. All the years we have had travellers here not one elderly member has ended up in a care home. And considering two women a week are murdered by partners how many do we read of who are from the travelling community.

Get rid if them all and snuggle up in our little boxes with a garden and room for a pony

stillaliveandkicking Mon 16-Jan-17 19:34:47

You guessed right Annie. Yes of course it happens with VAT registered companies but just not nearly as much and there is recourse.

Anniebach Mon 16-Jan-17 19:32:50

No idea what shafted means, at a guess cheated out of money, good grief this happens with vat registered firms

stillaliveandkicking Mon 16-Jan-17 19:32:04

Also the "traveller culture" is disgustingly male oriented and used by the men to keep women in their place "uneducated and to be sold off/married at the earliest opportunity" This is not in any way acceptable.

merlotgran Mon 16-Jan-17 19:30:44

They don't endear themselves to farmers around here either.

stillaliveandkicking Mon 16-Jan-17 19:16:36

We had travellers living under a near by underpass. Unfortunately they didn't endear themselves to many and quickly became outcasts due to shafting quite a lot of my elderly neighbours with shoddy building works.

whitewave Mon 16-Jan-17 19:15:33

annie thinking about it that reminds me of Thrush Green -Miss Read!!

Lona Mon 16-Jan-17 19:09:06

Annie how nice sunshine

whitewave Mon 16-Jan-17 18:54:33

annie smile

Anniebach Mon 16-Jan-17 18:31:27

Travelling around is so difficult for travellers and gypsies because they get so much grief and do not have the freedom to move on as they once did.

A couple of years ago I was honoured to receive a request to attend the funeral of a gypsy King , that title because be was head of a large community . His parents had married here many years ago and he was baptised here when a baby. His community came from all parts of the country, church was packed, after the service there was a procession to the field where they had parked his caravan, this was set on fire and everyone stood in silence untill the fire died out. It was so moving to witness such an old tradition . His granddaughter still calls on me every year on her way for hop picking, I keep a larger in the fridge for her , I love to hear how her year went . It's sad we are losing people who no longer feel free to park up.

Iam64 Mon 16-Jan-17 17:40:02

X posted there with you luckygirl

Iam64 Mon 16-Jan-17 17:39:15

Im another person who worked with many travellers or gypsy families. The travelling community has suffered from negative stereotypes which are not confirmed when you get to know families and individuals. There is a hierarch, similar to the class culture in wider society, with Irish tinkers firmly at the lower end and circus or fair travellers elevated.
As Monica says, it's very difficult to maintain a traditional traveller lifestyle, not least because roadside stopping places are disappearing. Many areas have a traveller site placed in what was a traditional stopping place. One of the large former mining areas I worked in had a section of the estate housing travelling families. This meant large family groups could live near and support each other. The also shared a trailer and took turns to travel for several weeks at a time.
NanyandG, the local primary school accepted some traveller children would start their long summer holiday in June rather than July.
Education is valued much more now than even thirty years ago. The importance of numeracy and literacy is acknowledged. Many parents went to literacy and numeracy classes set up firb hem at local schools so they weren't left behind and could help their children, as Anya said, there is a tendency for teenagers to leave school at 14, boys into work, girls being prepared to be wives and mothers.
Cultural identity, religious faith, care of children the elderly and love of family remain central to life even if travelling in the traditional way is no,longer possible

Luckygirl Mon 16-Jan-17 17:20:06

M0nica is right - there is more to being a Traveller than travelling - they share cultural norms that differ from the settled community, so even when they are housed or on a static site, they still have their distinct ways - some of which I applauded and admired (strong sense of family loyalty) and others |I found more problematical (curtailed education for many girls; a "macho" culture among some of the men, with even baby boys having boxing gloves as presents).

And, as I said before, and others have endorsed, they are not one amorphous mass - there are clear differences of outlook between different groups of Travellers (Irish, English, Welsh, Scottish, New etc.). And there is often antagonism between them.

But, as Annie rightly says, that is how we all are.

NanaandGrampy Mon 16-Jan-17 17:16:56

Good point Monica , I can see that would be the case.

Does anyone know if the exceptions that are made for Travellers ( and I use the school example again as it's one I have personal experience of) are made for other cultural groups ?

I love GN , someone always knows the answersmile