Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I'm having a clear out but......

(45 Posts)
goldengirl Thu 19-Jan-17 11:44:39

I'm actually having a clear out - yet another NY Resolution! This time it's the under the stairs cupboard where I have a lot of nappies for various sized GC who no longer need them. Unfortunately the packets have been opened over the months - for obvious reasons - but now the last GC is on the way to being toilet trained I'm at a loss as to what to do with them. Noone would want opened packets and I don't really want to send them to landfill but that is possibly the only option. Any ideas would be welcome please.

MissAdventure Thu 19-Jan-17 11:54:35

A charity shop might take them?
There must be someone somewhere who would be grateful. I hate waste!

Alima Thu 19-Jan-17 11:56:19

We have taken part used packs of nappies to the charity before now. Would the children's nursery take them?

vampirequeen Thu 19-Jan-17 12:05:31

Ring the Sally Army. They have homeless families in some of their hostels and they often visit very poor families in their own homes. They might know people who could put them to good use.

chelseababy Thu 19-Jan-17 12:07:48

Food bank?

Thingmajig Thu 19-Jan-17 12:12:44

Any local playgroups or nurseries where they could be used for any accidents during play?

POGS Thu 19-Jan-17 12:19:15

Take them to a Women's Refuge?

gillybob Thu 19-Jan-17 12:37:24

I know our local foodbank and womens refuge would be glad of them goldengirl so, I would imagine would most.

Mair Thu 19-Jan-17 12:56:33

A neighbor with a baby?

KatyK Thu 19-Jan-17 18:55:40

My sister works for the NHS and says that there is a campaign at the moment to provide things for women's refuges (as suggested above). I can't think off hand what this campaign is called but they have said that when these battered women leave the marital home they have absolutely nothing apart from the clothes they stand up in (usually). I'm sure the suggestion of a women's refuge is a good one. I'm sure open packets would be welcome.

Jalima Thu 19-Jan-17 19:12:09

I have two opened packets as well, they have been kept in a drawer so are perfectly clean. I was going to offer them to a friend for her DGS but these are pink and her DGS may be very opiniated about colours.

Perhaps I'll try the foodbank

Devorgilla Thu 19-Jan-17 21:15:57

If a place knows you and your standards of cleanliness they will often take them. I gave them to the nursery my own daughter attended and they were quite happy to have them. Haven't been sued for several years so assume all the bums survived.

Devorgilla Thu 19-Jan-17 21:17:36

BTW best advice I ever got when clearing out was to take everything out of the area I was clearing and only put back in what I really want there. Works a treat.

BlueBelle Thu 19-Jan-17 22:53:19

I collect them for Refugee babies there would be some collecting point in your area I m sure

Shazmo24 Fri 20-Jan-17 09:55:48

Get in touch with your local Foodbank They may want them

radicalnan Fri 20-Jan-17 10:03:40

Food banks would love them, apart from food they need toiletries and other sundries.

Jaycee5 Fri 20-Jan-17 10:22:16

If you don't mind paying postage I support a charity called Knit a Square in Soweto who has asked for nappies in the past. They don't mind open packets because the are not saleable and so don't incur customs duty.
If you check their website it has posting details.

Marydoll Fri 20-Jan-17 10:40:43

I had lots of nappies left when my GD went up a size and also wondered what to do with them. I found the local food bank were desperate for them. They were also looking for donations of baby wipes etc. It seems they have lots of mums coming in who are in dire straits. I felt quite humbled when I looked at my wee GD who wants for nothing.

harrigran Fri 20-Jan-17 11:01:53

I have been clearing drawers and found lots of socks and briefs, bought for emergency use whilst childminding. All unworn and good quality so I took them to a local community shop along with DVDs and books that GC had outgrown. There were mothers with toddlers looking at clothes in the shop so there must be a need for them.

grandMattie Fri 20-Jan-17 11:05:14

The Food bank? They need toiletries, STs, nappies etc., as well as food...

zaksmum Fri 20-Jan-17 11:30:40

Isn't there a website called stuff for free? I think I've heard of that somewhere.

goldengirl Fri 20-Jan-17 11:41:01

This is just brilliant! Thank you everyone for being so helpful

Nelliemaggs Fri 20-Jan-17 12:40:29

I use Freecycle and yes people will come for opened packets.

Persistentdonor Fri 20-Jan-17 12:54:32

I was in a church hall (Methodist,) toilet recently, and they had storage boxes of clothes, and nappies there.
I wasn't sure if the clothes were intended for loan or to keep, but I assume it was all donated stuff.
So I guess that would be an option Goldengirl??

And a thunderous round of applause to you for having a clearout. Keep up the good work. flowers

Lindylou23 Fri 20-Jan-17 13:54:43

I agree freebie sites are brilliant. DH says nobody will want that , I put it on freebie site and its taken