Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Three generation short break

(26 Posts)
cornergran Mon 30-Jan-17 06:37:36

Could do with some inspiration. We are hoping to have a three night weekend break in the UK next year but inspiration is lacking. Six adults, three children between 3 and 13. Preferably under one roof but could split over two or I guess three properties. Either April or September into October. Concerns are to have enough bathrooms, something to keep the children occupied, for it to be comfortable but not ruinously expensive, a pub close by would be a major bonus. Have begun to look at cottages but wondered if a complex would be better. Would love to hear what has worked for you or indeed what didn't, always good to learn from others mistakes smile.

MawBroon Mon 30-Jan-17 09:07:19

Forest Holidays! We went to one with DD and SIL and the DGSs when they were even smaller. Great nature trails and outdoor activities. Or Center Parcs if you want a wider variety of indoor activities.
None of them cheap sad

Jane10 Mon 30-Jan-17 09:11:51

Crieff or Peebles hydro. Masses of things for kids and adults to do. Especially Crieff. Good childcare included and a range of accommodation to suit all ages.

MissAdventure Mon 30-Jan-17 09:25:06

ButIins!
I went (reluctantly!) with my work a few years back, and it is excellent on all fronts.
Spotlessly clean, with entertainment around the clock for all ages, and huge choice of food - help yourself style - 6 or 7 different choices for dinner each night
Highly recommended.

cornergran Mon 30-Jan-17 09:36:16

Forest Holidays might do it the older ones love the outdoors and Littlest loves mud! Thanks maw, will add the other ideas to the pot. The more the merrier.

NanaandGrampy Mon 30-Jan-17 09:41:08

Forest Holidays for us too ! Kids 10,7,5,and 2 love the freedom - bikes, nature etc. Grown up love the accommodation and hot tub ...super relaxing in lovely accommodation. We've been several times with our lot and they all loved it.

J52 Mon 30-Jan-17 10:07:47

Interesting post Jane. We went to the Crieff Hydro, as a couple and found it very disappointing. The food was average, breakfast was particularly poor. And the pool shut after ' tea time', denying adults an early evening swim in peace.

They do seem to cater for families, and we do enjoy an all age environment, but it was at at the expense of other guests. The only saving grace was the lovely ' Rapunzal' turret room we given. The lift didn't go that far and we were obviously fit enough to do the stairs! grin

Not somewhere we'd go again.

To the OP I'd second a lodge holiday, we've had some good ones and DS1 and family manage at least 1 a year. If you do go Take a bath mat, not usually supplied!

POGS Mon 30-Jan-17 10:48:26

Sounds ideal Cornergran.

Dependent on how far you are willing to travel might I suggest Weymouth.

Obviously a favourite of my family but it could tick all the boxes.

We always book with Dream Cottages and they have a good website and easy to speak to if you need advice, not pushy!

Weymouth has an excellent beach, a harbour, a marina, rockpools (a must for the little ones), good pubs and restaurants, cinema, shops, bowling alley, theatre RSPB Radiploe Lake, fishing trips, etc. etc.

Weymouth for the most part is on the flat except for one area called The Nothe but it is a lovely walk which takes you from the harbour , around Newtons Cove (where the rock pools are), up to the Fort and back down to the harbour. Ideal for rockpools, picnics, strolling and suits all ages. The thing is it is literally adjacent to the harbour and marina where it is all happening.

There is plenty of accommodation smack bang in the heart of Weymouth Centre where you literally will walk out of the door and you have it all on tap.

One suggestion if you are all dibbing in financially would be the 'Oast House' or properties in that vicinity, order a brochure and have a gander.

Have a wonderful time.

Maggiemaybe Mon 30-Jan-17 11:24:36

We're going with our lot to Center Parcs in May. Twelve of us, ages late sixties to (we estimate!) 4 weeks. We've booked two villas next to each other and the bigger one has a sauna, hot tub and games room in case of bad weather, and so that the adults have something to do when the little ones are in bed. We're hoping not to have to pay for too many extras as the four children will all be pre-school and the general opinion is that they'll be happy with the swimming, the wildlife and the playgrounds. We're definitely booking a girls' spa day though, and leaving the lads to it!

We did have a lovely Autumn break in 2015, in a massive house fairly near Beccles. It had its own grounds with a small lake and woods, tennis court, hot pool, and was near enough to the coast for day trips. We booked through Sykes Cottages.

Jane10 Mon 30-Jan-17 11:31:38

J52 I agree that Crieff isn't a couples venue. We were there at New Year and it was packed with children. However, although we found the noisy guests quite rude, without exception, the various restaurants and cafe were excellent. I don't know how the staff put up with the guests but they were terrific.
There's an adult only spa and pool now. Very luxurious.

morethan2 Mon 30-Jan-17 12:36:18

We went to potters resort in Norfolk a few years back. There's a choice of accommodation or you can stay in the main complex. The beds were really comfortable. There were good activities for adults and children to do together. The evening entertainment was really very good. There's a smallish swimming pool. It's right next to a very good beach The food was good British fare well presented. The staff were lovely. I'll look into the other recommendations mentioned on here myself. Give us a review when you return.

Maggiemaybe Mon 30-Jan-17 12:36:26

There are more ideas and views on a very similar thread, also started today:

www.gransnet.com/forums/grandparenting/1233814-Holidays-with-the-family

hildajenniJ Mon 30-Jan-17 13:26:19

We had a great holiday at Centre Parcs with the grandchildren when they were smaller. We were there for a short break just before Christmas. There were all ages of children there, everyone was enjoying themselves.

cornergran Mon 30-Jan-17 13:31:46

Thank you all. Will research then see what the family think. Yes, they are chipping in grin.

PamelaJ1 Mon 30-Jan-17 15:22:22

We had a family holiday , 3 generations,in London last September. We stayed in a flat in Kensington,near the museums, fabulous and cheaper than most hotels. I exchanged all my Tesco vouchers for experiences so free on the boat to Greenwich ,and the Aquarium.

Maggiemaybe Mon 30-Jan-17 16:01:06

And of course you've got the V & A, the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum in Kensington as well, and all free. This is something I'll be considering when my boys are older.

Thingmajig Mon 30-Jan-17 16:35:17

Center Parcs is excellent and really has something for everyone whatever their age.
Now that we're the grandparents we did find the pool area quite noisy though ... term time so full of toddlers! grin

merlotgran Mon 30-Jan-17 16:41:52

We used to love Haven Holidays when all the DGCs were small. Warmwell in Dorset was a particular favourite. We booked two lodges so there was plenty of roomy accommodation.

Plenty to do including fishing and cycling and the evening entertainment was of a good standard although Rory the Tiger got a bit tedious after a while grin

Good value for money.

BBbevan Mon 30-Jan-17 16:45:29

We had a very large cottage on one of the estates near Lloadudno. It was beautiful, and lots to do for all ages from us 70 yr olds to a 7 yr old. We will be going again.

BBbevan Mon 30-Jan-17 16:46:10

Llandudno

Mair Mon 30-Jan-17 17:43:33

Bluestone Tenby is excellent. Not been there but DD loves it. Youre very lucky to be included corner gran!! How lovely.

There are some very large lodges there but if I were you Id opt for some separation, people are less likely to annoy each other, especially if there are DILs involved.

Welshwife Mon 30-Jan-17 18:11:47

Bluestone is a nice resort and has an area with a couple of shops and a pub and restaurant. DS Went with his i laws one summer with three generations and it seemed to work fine. There are go cart car things they can have etc and an archery place plus the swimming etc. We visited for a couple of days - staying in Tenby with DGS who was about 18 at the time - he quite enjoyed it too. The log cabins are very nice - there must have been six adults and four children staying when DS went. Very countrified around there and you can go to Tenby etc as well for a change.

jusnoneed Mon 30-Jan-17 18:29:21

My friend goes most years to Centre Parcs with her son/dil and young grandchildren. They all enjoy it.

Yorkshiregel Tue 31-Jan-17 11:36:35

We had a house in Cyprus last year. We were on the Turkish side, because it is much cheaper than the other side, no trouble with language, and the people are lovely and welcoming. Where we were an hour over the border there was absolutely no trouble. We went on lots of trips out to various things, the beach, shopping in towns, trip on the sea etc etc. We didn't do things like amusement parks because we couldn't find any. Most of the time we spent at the house by the pool. If you have children who are just toddlers it is best to be aware that the pool does not have a fence around it to keep them out. You can get toys for the pool there so don't take them with you. Plenty of supermarkets. Great fun and short flight. Lots of sunshine every day. Not expensive, we ate out every night because food is cheap there. We had 5 people on that one. They said it was just what they had needed re somewhere to relax and forget about work. Also, as a bonus the local hospital treats British people for free because the hospital was built by the British, so if you are in trouble help is at hand.

The year before we took 3 families to France. Again we booked a house with a pool, which was very cheap when you consider how many people went...9 people that time. Lovely wandering around the street markets and resting on the beaches. Lots of time again spent around the pool. Plenty of room to do your own thing too if you didn't want to be rushing about. If you need medical help look for a blue cross sign.

Go for it I say. Make sure you can each go and do different things on your own sometimes is my advice.

Don't know how to put photos on here but if you look for 5 bedrooms, Villas in Cyprus or Gites in France on Owners Direct, you will see what is on offer.

trisher Tue 31-Jan-17 11:43:54

We're off to a villa in Majorca in April, James Villas have an offer of free car rental and free insurance which makes it very reasonable. We usually do a week in the summer with my mum as well, so need a downstairs bed and bath room. Going to Yorkshire. If you are booking a cottage look carefully at the photos and details we have had a couple where what seemed to be a safe garden was far from that. If you have any questions ring the company and ask for more info.