Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

young at heart ?

(74 Posts)
paddyann Sat 22-Apr-17 23:27:27

whats the secret to staying young in mind and heart.I have my own opinions of course but I'd like to hear yours first

Bellanonna Sun 23-Apr-17 00:24:58

A sense of humour, an open mind, willingness to try things?

Cherrytree59 Sun 23-Apr-17 00:32:00

Grandchildrensmile

Anya Sun 23-Apr-17 05:58:01

Some people are just born that way.

kittylester Sun 23-Apr-17 08:04:09

I think it's mainly what Anya says. I also think an open mind helps but keeping busy is vital.

PRINTMISS Sun 23-Apr-17 08:13:48

I agree with Kitty, I think too, if you can mix with folk who are younger than you, then it helps to keep you thinking young. Laughter too is a good medicine.

Christinefrance Sun 23-Apr-17 08:16:39

Definitely a sense of humour. A positive attitude to life and enjoying the company of others. Anya is right though.

BRedhead59 Sun 23-Apr-17 09:42:07

Agree kids - as many as you can find

janeainsworth Sun 23-Apr-17 09:46:40

I've never understood what people mean by 'young at heart' or why it is particularly desirable.
Many cultures revere the wisdom of old age.
'Calm of mind, all passion spent'

Dee Sun 23-Apr-17 09:47:35

I have lots of friends without children and grandchildren who are very young at heart, open minded and willing to try new things so I don't think grandchildren, wonderful as they may be, are essential to the process.
My neighbour, who died at 102, was always open to new ideas and completely non judgemental, on the other hand I've taught 9 year olds who were quite middle aged in outlook.

paddyann Sun 23-Apr-17 09:50:25

ah but janeainsworth cant you have the wisdom and still have the ability to communicate and be on the same track with younger generations...and as for all passion spent ....wont ever happen to me .I am totally passionate about many things politics,music ,food ...not forgetting my wonderful husband

paddyann Sun 23-Apr-17 09:54:17

Dee my husband reckons his sister was "42 before she was born" she never seems to have had any fun ,always moans and complains about everything and has the forehead lines to prove how much she frowns .Yet she's had what appears to be an almost stress free life with no major issues.I find it strange that when she had her home decorated a couple of years ago she said it would be the last time it would need done....she was only 53!!

moxeyns Sun 23-Apr-17 09:56:09

Finding things that bring you joy, and doing them as often as possible. For me, that's often going for a walk and hearing a buzzard crying out, or puttering round my garden and seeing the first flower on a particular bush.

janeainsworth Sun 23-Apr-17 10:16:10

What do you mean by 'being on the same track as the younger generations' though paddyann?

Every generation has different outside influences which moulds its perceptions and values.
My generation (b. 1949) had a very different lifestyle and upbringing from our parents'. We had far more educational opportunity and did not suffer the trauma of war.
When we grew up job opportunity seemed limitless and public service was an ideal many of us aspired to.

The experience of millennials is completely different. Their world seems far more materialistic than ours ever was and the competition for jobs and houses must seem overwhelming. Our country seems less welcoming and less tolerant.

So what is good about changing the ideals and values of a lifetime to 'keep up' with the young?

Teetime Sun 23-Apr-17 10:22:02

I'm not trying to be young but trying to stay fit and healthy for as long as possible so healthy eating, lots of exercise and fresh air, reading, going to theatre, concerts etc just busy busy busy.

Craftycat Sun 23-Apr-17 10:26:54

Music!! I love modern music.
OK I still play my Bowie, Stones, MJ etc. but I have always liked whatever music is around at any given time although I found Punk a bit odd but even that had some good sounds.

I love dancing round the kitchen too & I do a dance class every week.

MawBroon Sun 23-Apr-17 10:30:10

Worry less about "hardening of the arteries" and more about "hardening of the attitudes" hmm

annifrance Sun 23-Apr-17 10:51:47

I like my friends answer to her DGD's question 'Granny can I tell you something?'. Her reply 'You can tell me anything, I've probably done it anyway.'

Christinefrance Sun 23-Apr-17 11:15:41

Love that too annifrance, each generation thinks it invented the wheel smile

morethan2 Sun 23-Apr-17 11:29:08

I think MawBroon echos my sentiment. It's important not to become embittered. I've met lots of people my age and older who are. I also think it's important to remember how it felt to be young. 20 years ago our son came to show us his new car. It was a top of the range sporty car. Very impractical, very expensive to insure, and spare parts costs were prohibitively expensive. I jumped in enthusiastically and enjoyed his enthusiasm and joy. My husband wasted no time telling him all of the above. I watched as his joy wained a little. In turn I reminded my husband of his past youthful expensive buys and said "why couldn't you just share his pride. He came to us to share his joy. Couldn't you have said wow it's great I wished I'd been able to afford one." I hope my son has forgotten what his dad said. My husband has never again responded like a miserable old man. That same son now drives a sensible people carrier. When I see or hear somthing my generation would never have approved of I do my best to think this is their world and it's very different from the one of my youth.

Sufjansgranny Sun 23-Apr-17 12:33:50

I really like this quotation from novelist Edith Wharton (even filed it in my computer under 'inspirational')

In spite of illness, in spite even of the arch-enemy sorrow, one can remain alive long past the usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things, and happy in small ways.

janeainsworth Sun 23-Apr-17 12:39:45

When I see or hear somthing my generation would never have approved of I do my best to think this is their world and it's very different from the one of my youth.
I quite agree, Morethan. I just don't want to join in their world of expensive hen parties, even more expensive weddings, pressure to look glamorous and have facial fillers and so on, and working themselves into the ground to pay for expensive holidays etc.
I do realise of course that these are sweeping generalisations and apply only to some of the youth of today wink

paddyann Sun 23-Apr-17 12:42:20

morethan2 that is my philosophy ..remember what its like to BE young ,then you can be in step with them .We love when our kids get to do stuff we couldn't have done back in the 70's We have a son and a daughter with 4 grandkids and they have just booked to take the kids to Disneyland in the summer...I was every bit as delighted as they were .my mum in law ...not so much.Her attitude was surely they should be putting that money aside for a rainy day ,much cheaper holidays are availabe..same when they had broken hearts ,dont tell them they were too young to know what love is ,remember how you felt when it happened to you .A wee bit of empathy goes a very long way

paddyann Sun 23-Apr-17 12:49:12

janeainsworthyou dont have to do all the stuff they do to understand them though ...do you.Just dont criticise unfairly ,I know my parents thought we were off our heads when we started our own business aged 21 ...yet 42 years later it still pays our bills.Even though we lived on toasted cheese for 3 years or more we wouldn't change a thing.Have confidence in the young they're not that different to us

Penstemmon Sun 23-Apr-17 12:51:51

Being curious, knowing there is so much more to know and learn, liking other people, doing as much as you can. Reflecting, thinking, asking 'what if...?'
Ditching routines,trying different things/ways to do things,meeting new people. Not caring too much about others opinions of you!!