Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What should I do with it?

(104 Posts)
phoenix Tue 23-May-17 18:54:07

Evening all, a minor thing in light of today's events, but I seek advice.

On Sunday, whilst taking a dish of lovely, golden, crispy roast potatoes from the oven, my attention was drawn to the fact that there was a hole in my oven gloves.

As the message of intense heat transferred itself from my finger to the receptors in my brain, I was forced to say "golly gosh, crickey, that's a tad warm"

Actually, that is a fib blush, I hopped around the kitchen (God knows what the hopping was supposed to achieve, it just seemed to happen, a reflex I suppose) shouting "f#c#, bu££er, sh%t"

Of course I was left with a blister. This is now, Tuesday evening, seeming to get larger and amusing itself by throbbing gently.

It currently covers about half of the third section of my finger, and is playing havoc with various everyday functions. confused

Now, do I just leave it to possibly get bigger and throbbier, or should I pop it, bung on some Germolene (love that smell, takes me back to grazed knees and roller skates!) and add a plaster?

The dish of potatoes made it safely to the worktop, God knows how.

mollie Tue 23-May-17 19:02:59

I wouldn't pop it as you risk infection. Best cover it and let nature take its course. Painkillers and female ingenuity will get you through. Sorry not to be more helpful...

Christinefrance Tue 23-May-17 19:12:01

Yes popping it may introduce infection, I agree with Mollie.
Hope you enjoyed the potatoes.

phoenix Tue 23-May-17 19:14:43

Thanks mollie, I think that unless I treat it ultra carefully (which is unlikely) it is likely to get burst soon!

Elegran Tue 23-May-17 19:15:47

And next time you do that, stick it under the cold tap while someone else serves up the meal. If you delay long enough to get the food on the table you are too late, the heat has continued to burn it. I say this with the authority of experience, because I am always burning my wrists and forearms on the oven shelves.

Buy a tube of Acriflex and keep it in or near the kitchen - that keeps on cooling it after you have decided that you really can't stand at the kitchen sink any longer.

Don't put anything else on it except a clean dressing, unless it shows signs of going nasty.

phoenix Tue 23-May-17 19:18:32

christinefrance grin The potatoes, beef, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, Swede and Yorkshire puddings and gravy were well received, thank you!

thatbags Tue 23-May-17 19:24:12

Keep the blister intact as long as you can, phoenix. I once burnt my foot quite badly on a motorbike taxi (daft bat that I am). The blister was as big as a small egg. Managed not to burst it for over a week so by the time it did the skin underneath had healed.

A finger will present more challenges than an instep blister. Hope it isn't too painful.

elegran, I didn't know about that stuff. Thanks for the tip. I've spent so many hours with my hand in a bucket of cold water over the years!!

Welshwife Tue 23-May-17 19:25:25

I second the Acriflex - my mother always had a tube handy and I have too - kept in the top kitchen drawer!

Jalima1108 Tue 23-May-17 19:27:49

I got blisters from hot fat the full length of two fingers (yes, I felt like giving the pan the two fingers!!), cooled them down under a cold tap then kept ice on them all evening but they still blistered badly. So I bandaged them with ordinary white bandages held with micropore tape - no cream at all and kept them dry until the blisters eventually dried up or the fluid re-absorbed which took quite some time.

It did take ages - and the other thing I had to do was make sure, after it had healed but was still very red, that I put sun cream on those fingers as the skin was still very delicate.

phoenix Tue 23-May-17 19:29:36

Elegran I did the tap thing, and I agree with you about Acriflex, great stuff! Always in my medicine cabinet.

Problem is that this incident resulted in a blister, not a burn.

I did actually put a good dollop of Acriflex on it, but still have a rather impressive blister.

Perhaps if I took a few photos, it might qualify for an entry for the Turner Prize, after all all sorts of crap stuff seems to get in!

Just need a snappy title...........

Jalima1108 Tue 23-May-17 19:32:18

A bandage may look dramatic but will stop you knocking the blister, breaking it and perhaps getting an infection.

jacksmum Tue 23-May-17 19:32:34

Sorry to hear about your burn x do you have a Pharmacy near you? if so i would pop in there tomorrow and get some advice from them, x

phoenix Tue 23-May-17 19:33:53

Just like to add, many thanks that none of you have posted a rude response, although there is still time, if any members feel the need............

Jalima1108 Tue 23-May-17 19:36:28

Wouldn't dream of it - I feel your pain
smile

Auntieflo Tue 23-May-17 19:40:22

I have heard that if you have an Aloe Vera plant, you can break off leaf/spike, and the gel that oozes out is very healing. Too late for you now, but my sympathies for your poor sore finger. Of course you have to have your arm in a sling and get OH to do the chores and ply you with wine till you're better. ?

merlotgran Tue 23-May-17 19:54:59

I take it there were no complaints from Mr. P about the quantity of veg on his plate this time? grin

#livingdangerously

phoenix Tue 23-May-17 20:19:37

Ha ha merlot no, none at all!grin

SueDonim Tue 23-May-17 20:39:08

I'm sorry about your poorly finger but of course you oughtn't pop the blister due to the infection risk but personally, if it were my finger, I wouldn't be able to resist grin

Deedaa Tue 23-May-17 20:56:47

DH had massive blisters on one leg when he was in hospital having a stem cell transplant. They wrapped his leg up with loads of passing to protect them and although they did burst eventually it was in a controlled way

Jalima1108 Tue 23-May-17 23:27:01

One of my blisters did leak slowly but the other one seemed to be re-absorbed.

Don't push them, don't prick them, don't meddle!! Keep them covered with a nice clean white bandage!
Nurse has spoken.

Nannarose Wed 24-May-17 07:32:38

I'd suggest special blister plasters,proprietary name Compeed, but sold as 'own brand'as well. They are a great help with healing.
Although the 'official'advice is not to pop, as a walker, I know there are occasions when not popping leads to rubbing & such awkwardness as to make everything worse. If the blistered skin peels off before healed underneath, the would is big & raw.
So what I have done (to make it clear this is not advice!) is to clean the blister thoroughly with antiseptic, stick a needle under boiling water, with clean towel / gauze to hand. Allow fluid to leak out gently, then immediately apply blister plaster.
And my advice, when better is to make more pot holders!

PRINTMISS Wed 24-May-17 09:08:08

Probably too late now, but I think the advice of putting burns under the cold tap (depending where the burn is of course) is the best idea. Exclude air with a clean cloth, and continue in this way - Like Deeda my other half had massive blisters on his legs which did burst at one point, but the main treatment was clean bandaging, no creams, and they did eventually heal up without scars. Burns are so painful, even the little ones.

mags1234 Wed 24-May-17 09:42:14

Yes, always run under cold tap as long as u can.
I keep all Vera plant in kitchen and it's wonderful for burns assisting healing. If worried do see pharmacist and don't pop!

pollyperkins Wed 24-May-17 09:43:25

I did exactly the same at Christmas complete with hopping round kitchen, hand in cold water for several hours whike going ow ow ow to not much sympathy from assembled company. It wAs my right thumb . I did not pop the huge bluster just covered with a plaster for several days , maybe a week. The blister eventually went learhery abd brittle and peeled off leaving shiny new red skin underneath which was a bit sensitive. Gradually recoverd. It took maybe two or three weeks. It's amazing how the body heals itself.
I woulsnt pop it - the blister cushions it. Apart from infection it hurts more if popped.

Persistentdonor Wed 24-May-17 09:59:25

Ouch!! I think we have all been there at some point.
Agree with above... for burns, masses of cold water asap.
Do not pop blisters.

I was once told that germolene GROWS germs, though the tube is slightly better than a pot.

Personally, I have found neat lavender oil applied really helps, and in extremis, honey truly does help if nothing else available.

Miserable for you. Hope it clears up quickly. flowers