Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Erm, any idea how to change TV channels when the remote control won't work?

(40 Posts)
phoenix Sat 03-Jun-17 20:45:51

Evening all, well, what it says in the title, really confused

For some reason the remote control has gone on strike, have tried changing the batteries, given it a shake and a damn good talking to, but to no avail.

Starting to get a tad miffed now, actually change that to mightily pissed off, especially as we only have 1 television!

Yes, I know, it's a first world problem.

whitewave Sat 03-Jun-17 20:53:53

Aren't there buttons on the tv?

Cherrytree59 Sat 03-Jun-17 20:56:42

Gently draw your fingers all around the TV frame there maybe some very small control buttons .
Are you linked up to DVD box you maybe able to change channels with DVD remote.
We have BT vision and can use that to change channels
Good lucksmile

Coolgran65 Sat 03-Jun-17 20:58:39

I don't have a clue..... Do you have an instruction manual anywhere?

Or Google the make and model of your television for instructions?

Good luck with that 'un confused

Ana Sat 03-Jun-17 21:01:32

Oh I live in dread of that happening!

Must remember to ask one of my GDs how to do it next time they're here - they're bound to know!

phoenix Sat 03-Jun-17 21:04:09

Thanks all, can't find any buttons, Mr P has gone off in a huff after changing the batteries didn't work, I'm attempting to stay calm and see if I can sort it. Ha!

rosesarered Sat 03-Jun-17 21:08:19

Buy a new remote! It may be the best answer, and go tv less this evening.

cornergran Sat 03-Jun-17 21:41:48

There will be buttons somewhere. usually hidden on the edge of the tv. Very small, though. The suggestion to Google is a good one. I nearly committed murder when minding Littlest when the remote vanished and there was an urgent need for Fireman Sam. Once I found the very small buttons normal service was resumed. Good luck. You can do it!

ninathenana Sat 03-Jun-17 21:48:31

Turn the TV round and use a torch to search all around edge. Ours are tucked right in and need a flippin pencil to push.

merlotgran Sat 03-Jun-17 21:52:52

Ours are almost impossible to locate down the side but they're there.

Have you thought of googling the make and see if there are some instructions online. YouTube has just about everything.

tanith Sat 03-Jun-17 21:55:58

There apps to let you control your tv from your phone. One is called universal TV remote control. Hubby has one on his phone.

phoenix Sat 03-Jun-17 21:57:01

Thank you all for responding, appreciated as always.

Himself has reappeared, post huff hmm and is now back in charge of the TV.

I am going to leave him to it, bath and book beckon!

Tizliz Sat 03-Jun-17 22:46:25

Part of the trim at the bottom edge lifts up on my panasonic - you can't see it just feel for it.

You are not missing anything so don't worry

BlueBelle Sun 04-Jun-17 05:41:37

Do you know I had a hic cup the other week with the remote and thought exactly that, how the heck do you change stations with no remote. No buttons to be seen anywhere
I think I ll google it in case now
I liked it when you a 'seeable' alternative on the tv

travelsafar Sun 04-Jun-17 08:43:37

Make sure you have the batteries in the right way round. My mum, god bless her, couldnt get her remote to work once, when i went round to see what was wrong she had batteries in incorrectly!!!!

Jaycee5 Sun 04-Jun-17 09:20:56

That happened to me. I couldn't find any way to do it but ordered a new remote on line and got it in a couple of days. It wasn't that expensive.

annodomini Sun 04-Jun-17 09:29:44

I believe that there is some way to programme your smart phone to act as a remote. Don't ask me though. I'm taking techie DS1's word for it. The control button on my Samsung TV is round the back and when you press it, a visual panel appears on screen and you can then toggle the button up,down and sideways to find the channel you want.

Shortlegs Sun 04-Jun-17 09:46:10

RTFM

meandashy Sun 04-Jun-17 09:46:42

My smartphone acts as a remote. It's great!
When dgd wasn't listening and I said 'Right the tv is going off' she took the remote to prevent me turning it off! I discreetly used my phone. She was agog and proclaimed 'wow grandma you turned it off with your mind'!!! Priceless ???

Grannynise Sun 04-Jun-17 09:51:44

Thank you Tanith, I've just downloaded the app you mentioned so as to be prepared for future emergencies!

valeriej43 Sun 04-Jun-17 10:25:51

I had exactly this problem last night, changed batteries, still didnt work, so decided it must be something on the remote that was stopping the channels changing
I pressed a few buttons, and eventually one that said TV on the top, worked,
I must have pressed it by accident the last time i used the remote, and altered the remote somehow, so try all the buttons, before thinking batteries need changing

Maggieanne Sun 04-Jun-17 10:57:17

Amazing, that happened to us last night! Changed the batteries, this is a new Freeview machine mind, nothing. Pressed all buttons, not a sausage. Turned the machine off for a few minutes, hey presto, it worked, don't ask, I've no idea, but at least we could watch the telly again.

shysal Sun 04-Jun-17 11:20:17

The same happened to me a while ago. After the usual battery change and switching off and on again at the wall, I did as Valerie did and pressed the 'TV' and 'PVR' buttons and it worked, although not sure which one did it! Mine is a Humax box. Suspect the cat had walked on the remote, as I was out of the room when it happened.

phoenix Sun 04-Jun-17 12:21:44

What is RTFM, please?

Alima Sun 04-Jun-17 12:24:14

Possibly read the fffing manual?