Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why are some people so flipping cross?

(200 Posts)
kittylester Thu 15-Jun-17 15:05:14

And why are they so ready to look for something to be offended about?

Lots of love
Pollyanna. grin

Baggs Sat 17-Jun-17 10:16:51

I'm finding your comments about me this morning very entertaining. I'm not cross at all. It's really funny. Honestly! ???

durhamjen Sat 17-Jun-17 10:15:34

Like I said, you interpret what I say to suit your own agenda, Baggs.

Baggs Sat 17-Jun-17 10:15:13

Obviously again! I think you know my mind better than I do, dj, as you seem very confident about what's in it. Me, I'm often unsure what I think, or muddled have a nuanced view and want to hear more than one interpretation of events or theories.

durhamjen Sat 17-Jun-17 10:14:23

I realised that, Mawbroon. That's why I mentioned my brother, who will be 70 next month!
Sorry, I don't do smileys.
By the way, why are some people's smileys smaller or a different shape from others?
You can tell I don't do smileys.

Baggs Sat 17-Jun-17 10:13:24

No, you didn't say 'only' but what you did say implied, and your political posts often imply (as do some of other posters whose names I recognise when I see them but which I don't store in a mental list between times) that 'only' like-minded people's views are really welcome. As I said above.

It was someone else (forgotten who) who first mentioned derision. That is the problem on many political threads in one word.

MawBroon Sat 17-Jun-17 10:10:38

It was a light hearted comment DJ ?
Sometimes it seems to me Gilbert and Sullivan are surprisingly topical !

durhamjen Sat 17-Jun-17 10:09:55

So why was this thread started, Baggs? You obviously know more than I do.

durhamjen Sat 17-Jun-17 10:08:35

I didn't say 'only' like-minded people, did I?
Once again, you interpret what I say to suit your own agenda.
What's wrong with wanting to read the comments of like-minded people?

Baggs Sat 17-Jun-17 10:08:25

There's one of the assumptions I mentioned: "obviously". As it happens, I can only think of one recent trouble-maker, dj, and it isn't you. You are an expert snapper though ?

Baggs Sat 17-Jun-17 10:05:49

The truth remains though, dj, that kitty is not a trouble-maker, however much you or others may dislike my way of saying so. So it is cross to suggest it.

durhamjen Sat 17-Jun-17 10:05:01

Last time I saw that, Mawbroon, was when my brother was one of the three little maids. He had a beautiful soprano voice when he was 11. He's older than me.

Baggs Sat 17-Jun-17 10:03:37

The wanting, and accepting even, of only like-minded people to talk to is the main problem with many of the political threads. One only has to differ fractionally for the derision to start pouring out and the assumptions of alt-right guilt implied as 'argument' against those who are seen as political opponents. It's very hard to have a civilised discussion, one where the existence of political compromise as a fact and necessity in a pluralistic society is a given. Anyone who tries is slapped down and despised. Or so it seems.

durhamjen Sat 17-Jun-17 10:01:47

"If you'd been paying attention during your GN membership, eloethan, you'd know by now that kitty is not a trouble-maker. Surely you are not aligning yourself with the permanent cross-patches?"

MawBroon. That is from Baggs, who obviously knows who is a trouble-maker, and who is a permanent cross-patch. That's why I asked about lists.

This whole thread seems trouble-making to me, designed to set some off against the others.

Anniebach Sat 17-Jun-17 09:48:27

If one wants like minded people on a thread it explains why some are driven off those threads

MawBroon Sat 17-Jun-17 09:45:08

In reply to your question durhamjen
Maybe a "little list"?
g.co/kgs/U8ha8F

Baggs Sat 17-Jun-17 09:44:21

dj, no list.

durhamjen Sat 17-Jun-17 09:43:26

Well said, LumpySpacedPrincess. I have nobody at home to talk to, and come on here to find like-minded people on the politics thread.
Fortunately there are quite a few who care about the sort of society they want to live in.

durhamjen Sat 17-Jun-17 09:40:55

Do you have a list, Baggs, trouble makers and non trouble makers?

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 17-Jun-17 09:15:59

Passive aggressive isn't nice, nor is it kind. It hurts and it is meant to hurt but it hides behind the calm face of gentility.

I said upthread that people are angry for a reason. They are right to be angry and I admit I am shocked that more people aren't angry.

Maybe it depends how close to the coal face you are and whether you or yours have been directly affected by, say, austerity cuts, or changes in how disability benefit is paid or whether it is paid at all.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to see that some areas of our society are being treated with cruelty and that cruelty has moved into our schools and our hospitals.

I have to say I am frothing about it and I take comfort when I find other people are mad too, that they care too.

There are some amazing intelligent posters on this forum that do their research, maybe listen to what they are saying.

Baggs Sat 17-Jun-17 07:27:45

That was posted on the wrong thread. Hey ho. But I do agree with you in part, ww. This thread had seemed to fizzle out naturally and then someone poked it in an unkind way. Another thing to shrug about, I suppose. It happens.

Baggs Sat 17-Jun-17 07:25:27

Hear, hear.

whitewave Sat 17-Jun-17 07:19:29

This thread epitomises for me the way that anyone who expresses their sorry/anger/ dissent on the political threads is either ridiculed or considered to be somehow divisive by those considéring themselves too nice to want to join in.

Well that is absolutely fine and has worked quite well as far as i can see as those wilting violets can chat happily in the kitchen whilst us rockwiellers(sp) can tear each other to shreds in the forum.

I would not dream of posting my opinion of the kitchen. I am aware that more than one of our more robust grans have been banned at the indignation shown by the more gentle of our grans.

But threads such as this are really not the way to go. It is both provocative and unnecessary

I recommend we all retreat back to our respective spaces with the occasional foray into each others space.

Peace be with you

Baggs Sat 17-Jun-17 06:42:19

If you'd been paying attention during your GN membership, eloethan, you'd know by now that kitty is not a trouble-maker. Surely you are not aligning yourself with the permanent cross-patches?

kittylester Sat 17-Jun-17 05:53:26

Actually, it was a genuine question, Eloethan.

Eloethan Sat 17-Jun-17 00:54:38

This thread was started with the sole purpose of providing a little "light relief" and was in no way meant to be an exercise in "stirring it". Believe that and you'll believe anything.