Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hot weather, floaty dresses, but what about your knickers?

(91 Posts)
phoenix Mon 19-Jun-17 21:25:32

Evening, spent today in my attic office, stifling, stuffy, hot hot hot!

I was wearing a loose cotton shirt, which I find cooler than T shirts, and fairly loose trousers.

To be strictly honest, they weren't as loose as they were last summer sad but I did actually manage to get them on without too many undignified contortions, and with only low level swearing, which must count for something.smile

Anyway, reading a post by another member about floaty dresses being a better option than cropped trousers, made me think..........

And having had a think, I now have a question. Apart from the obvious extra hassle of having to shave one's legs (yes, I know it's not compulsory, but there are limits) I was wondering about the (ahem) "thigh" issue blush

I am of course asking for a friend, who is slightly concerned about sweating and possible chafing in that area.

She did also express some concerns about whether the thighs might make some sort of noise, perhaps "squeaking" or some such, as they came into contact.

She did briefly (ha ha, pun!) wonder if there was some sort of modern equivalent of bloomers, or directoire knickers, so I thought I would ask you lot for you advice on undergarments for dresses/skirts in hot weather.

Nandalot Mon 19-Jun-17 21:34:17

Haven't needed it this summer but have in the past used an anti-chaffing gel very successfully.

DanniRae Mon 19-Jun-17 21:34:35

Try the Big Bloomer Company - I have never bought anything from them to be honest but they definitely make the kind of underwear that your 'friend' might be interested in.
Good Luck! (To your friend, of course) grin

NanaandGrampy Mon 19-Jun-17 21:34:46

My daughter has little plump legs ( her words) and in hot weather she showers and then rubs a little of the Sure or Dove 24hr stick deodorant on her inner thigh.

Let it dry and because it stops any sweating she doesn't get any chafing.

Sorted :-)

Chewbacca Mon 19-Jun-17 21:43:26

Found these for you your friend phoenix

www.thebigbloomerscompany.co.uk/anti-chafing-seamless-long-legs?___SID=U

Swanny Mon 19-Jun-17 22:00:56

phoenix I empathise with your friend! I don't like my legs and feet - too many surface veins - so usually wear trousers and boots, but when the warm weather is upon us I feel the need for bare legs and skirts. However, the feeling of upper thighs sticking together is not pleasant so I tend to restrict their use to home wear and when 'about town', so to speak, wear loose cotton palazzo-style trousers, unless I'm in a couldn't give a f* mood! Treated myself to a pedicure today so wore skirt and sandals to the salon. Came out feeling fantastic, as though I had someone else's feet at the end of my legs instead of my own clodhoppers!

Luckygirl Mon 19-Jun-17 22:27:30

I cannot wear sandals because of the orthotics; and I have a tubigrip up one leg or my broken foot swells up like a football. So - socks, tubigrip and trainers - it is HOT!!!

Where do I get these replacements feet Swanny? grin

Those bloomers are scary!!!

phoenix Mon 19-Jun-17 22:44:12

Oh my word, scary indeed! I wonder my friend wonders, if there might be such a thing as slightly longer French knicker type garments?

Thankfully both my friend and I are ok with sandals, and practically live in Birkenstocks, (or as Mr P calls them "those sort of lesbian sandals you bought in Munich")

Ok, my preferred style of them isn't particularly feminine, but they are so comfortable!

PS In my defence, I do always have painted toenails!

merlotgran Mon 19-Jun-17 22:50:11

I'm getting up at an ungodly hour to water our large veg garden and damp down the greenhouse.

Baggy pyjamas are a joy especially when you have no neighbours and the chickens just cluck knowingly as they shake their feather coats.

I'm so glad I don't have to go to work.

Nelliemoser Mon 19-Jun-17 22:52:48

I have a viscose M&S shift dress I bought quite a long time ago. It is wonderful to wear in this weather and washes and dries very quickly. Just right for this weather.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Jun-17 23:14:26

How about French knickers? Are they still called that? Or even a nice pair of boxers? Some are really quite girly these days.

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Jun-17 23:35:57

I cannot wear sandals because of the orthotics
Luckygirl DB Wider Fit shoes do sandals with a removable footbed so you can put your orthotic in instead. They are more clumpy than some sandals but are cooler than shoes and very supportive.
www.widerfitshoes.co.uk/sp+ladies-ladies-sandals-georgina+geor8
They have velcro on the insole and footbed so you just need to stick some velcro on your own orthotic to stop them slipping.

MIL recommended French knickers as being the answer to the problem in the OP!

harrigran Mon 19-Jun-17 23:54:30

I believe you can buy a waist slip to wear beneath long shorts so just like long French knickers.

JackyB Tue 20-Jun-17 00:04:04

Can you get those sort of cycling pants that little girls wear under dresses? The ones with lacy bottoms? They are cotton jersey, as far as I know. I'll see if I can can find a picture.

Jane10 Tue 20-Jun-17 07:12:11

Wow that's a terrific model wearing the non chafing bloomers. She looks great (if a little scary)

ninathenana Tue 20-Jun-17 07:36:43

D is a size 22 and on the very rare occasion she wears a dress will wear longer legged cotton pants. They are available, I will ask her where.

ninathenana Tue 20-Jun-17 07:41:56

D's are sloggi's sorry can't do a link on phone.
But search for longer legged knickers.

phoenix Tue 20-Jun-17 07:59:53

Thank you all, my friend will be very grateful!

shysal Tue 20-Jun-17 08:45:52

I was the one who went out and bought floaty dresses, completely forgetting the inner thigh thing, as I haven't worn a dress for years. Just used talc yesterday because I didn't walk far, but have now ordered some Sloggi long legs. I hadn't heard of them , so thanks for the recommendation. Will have to hope the wind doesn't get up!

Elegran Tue 20-Jun-17 08:49:53

Patra do silk jersey short johns. They are called thermals, but being silk they are thin and light, and don't feel sweaty. The blurb says - "non-bulky they won’t chaff and wick away moisture leaving you feeling completely comfortable." You can get black ones, which are definitely more sexy and sophisticated than pink bloomers.
I think by chaff they mean chafe, not the coarse husk of grain.
www.patra.com/Products/LSJ/women-s-pure-silk-thermal-short-johns

Gagagran Tue 20-Jun-17 08:59:28

JD Williams do them - just put in "long-line knickers".

wildswan16 Tue 20-Jun-17 09:28:59

What about culotte type petticoat

www.marksandspencer.com/culottes-with-cool-comfort-technology/p/p22442546?&pdpredirect

trisher Tue 20-Jun-17 09:29:20

Wore a loose linen dress with thin leggings yesterday- very cool and comfortable. But then I'm in the NE where it never gets as hot as the rest of the country!

rosesarered Tue 20-Jun-17 09:42:59

Am wearing a floaty dress today, but don't wear any 'special' knickers, but just my usual kind, cotton and lacy high leg type.

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Jun-17 09:45:15

well, if you have nice slim thighs you may not understand the problem rosesarered wink