Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

A gift for the hostess. Ideas please?

(47 Posts)
ladytina42 Tue 04-Jul-17 18:04:09

Hi
I am going to a do on Saturday and I would like to rake a gift for the hostess who I don't know terribly well. I gave a budget of £10-15 but don't want to give the usual wine, chocolates or flowers. Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks.

shysal Tue 04-Jul-17 18:23:57

The last time I gave a gift of this type, I bought some flavoured olive oils which were received with enthusiasm.
I hope you enjoy the 'do'.

phoenix Tue 04-Jul-17 18:24:08

Good quality scented soaps? Scented drawer liners? (I actually like these, but would never buy them for myself)

In a similar situation, I once took one of those boxed narcissus kit things, which was well received, even got a note months later to say that they were flowering and looking lovely in their pot in the hall, but might be the wrong time of year for that sort of thing.

phoenix Tue 04-Jul-17 18:24:51

Good one Shysal !

aggie Tue 04-Jul-17 18:28:32

why not flowers ? For a gift that lasts I give a potted plant , Orchids look nice ,they and Peace Lillies are easy care , I like getting them rather than a bouquet

ladytina42 Tue 04-Jul-17 18:43:11

Nothing wrong with flowers at all Aggie, but there will be a lot of guests and I just have a feeling she will be receiving more than a few bunches of flowers ?

Kittye Tue 04-Jul-17 18:51:05

I love the idea of flavoured olive oils, I'd be really pleased to receive those ?

BlueBelle Tue 04-Jul-17 18:54:27

Plants, I gave my friend for her birthday party ( she said no big pressies) a hanging basket of fuchsias she was thrilled and invited me round for coffee afterwards to see it hanging in her garden .... I had another friend who turned 80 and invited s lot of family and friends for a meal . She said she had everything and didn't need any presents but I didn't like to go empty handed and took her an ameryllis to grow herself apparently it had some big blooms and gave her a lot of pleasure watching it grow and then blooming

kittylester Tue 04-Jul-17 20:02:26

I like the idea of scented drawer liners. I love them and, as phoenix said, would never buy them for myself.

Oriel Wed 05-Jul-17 12:30:22

An orchid would be a lovely gift.

goldengirl Wed 05-Jul-17 12:39:48

A diffuser? My friends and I love them. A 'posh'notebook or visitors book? I like the drawer liner idea - that's a good one.

ninathenana Wed 05-Jul-17 12:40:19

I like the flavoured cooking oils idea. A twist on that, maybe a gift set of quality teas.

annodomini Wed 05-Jul-17 12:47:51

I'd go with the orchid as it's what I would like to receive myself. That is a good guideline.

Liz46 Wed 05-Jul-17 14:36:33

I'd go with the orchid too. I'm not very keen on cut flowers and wish my daughter would not waste her money buying them for me. Our local family run garden centre make up planters for about £15 and I bought one for my aunt. She loved it and said most of the plants came up again the following year.

Imperfect27 Wed 05-Jul-17 15:02:51

Scented candles? Decorative tea-light holders? Good pass - it -on gifts if they are not her cup of tea ... Or a bottle with a difference - maybe a nice fruit wine / brandy? Or maybe a pretty glass vase for all those other flowers she will receive smile.

Teetime Wed 05-Jul-17 16:53:07

Those pretty macarons from M & S or waitrose go down very well I find.

grandadoscar Thu 06-Jul-17 10:22:27

cath kidston has a sale. loads within your price range.

lots of pretty things

www.cathkidston.com/outlet/over-50-percent-off/list?ctry=GB

grandadoscar Thu 06-Jul-17 10:23:20

or lidl champagne which is really nice.

David1968 Thu 06-Jul-17 10:28:15

Really nice hand cream? A box of "posh" biscuits? Personally I wish people wouldn't bring me plants as I'm then lumbered with looking after yet another plant and we don't have the room! (I'd only give a plant to someone I absolutely know would love it.)

stanlaw Thu 06-Jul-17 10:36:56

What about locally produced unusual jams or salad dressings etc--here in Kent we have a lot of local greengrocers and delis who stock this stuff and giftees seem to love them as they can then offer them to their own guests subsequently. It also helps local producers to get on the radar.

cassandra264 Thu 06-Jul-17 10:39:05

I find so many people these days have 'gone off'items containing sugar - and if you don't know her very well...? Posh olive oils as a gift have gone down well for me, too.

Otherwise, how about vouchers from M&S, a local independent delicatessen, or even the local cinema?

chrissyh Thu 06-Jul-17 10:44:24

An orchid in a pot would be lovely.

Kim19 Thu 06-Jul-17 10:55:42

LadyTina42...... you 'don't know her very well'. You've accepted the invitation. Would you like to get to know her better? If so my suggestion would be an invitation to a prospective lunch. This card would be worded that the 'offer' expires on ---- (couple of months?) which leaves the recipient in a position to ignore or take up. It has worked for me most successfully in the past and hopefully in the future. Enjoy your function whatever you decide. Happy days!

Youngeil Thu 06-Jul-17 11:00:20

Have to say I personally would hate scented drawer liners. If you don't know her well stick to something edible - as somebody else says posh biscuits or conserve or even chutney.

radicalnan Thu 06-Jul-17 11:04:32

Anything posh will do, preserves, candles, oils, soaps.......lush fruits......visit me I love all those things.