Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Photograph keepsakes

(32 Posts)
netgran Sat 22-Jul-17 16:14:53

Thank you all so very much for great ideas and tips. I have already started to go through the Kodak packets and am selecting the ones which hold special memories of people and places. Going to trash the ones of restaurant food and those taken of clouds taken from the aircraft window etc?Some old pics are very faded so I'm hoping to enhance them digitally, have been on google to do some research. I am going to take them out of the old and musty albums and buy some new photo boxes and plastic files. What a lovely idea about the string Paddyann.

GrandmaMoira Sat 22-Jul-17 16:08:05

If you are copying old photos to save digitally be careful how you save them. I've lost lots of photos from my digital camera and phone as I had 2 laptops die suddenly and they were only on the hard drive, also lost photos from a phone dying.
I have started sorting my many old photos. I've thrown some out and put some in envelopes by era- old family photos, my childhood, my kids childhood etc. but it's a huge job and lots more to do.

paddyann Sat 22-Jul-17 15:37:09

go through the kodak packets and throw out any duplicates mkeep the best shot only ,that alone will thin them down,then put them back in and make a note of where and when they were taken .Put deatils of who is in each of your enlargements on the back of the print and put the all in carboard expanding files .anything thats particularly sentimental peg to a string along your hallway and change them regularly so you can get some pleasure from them and family who see tham can take some home when they want.Its a sad fact that most photographs taken nwadays rarely get viewed ,they're on computers /clouds or phones.The records of the present generation and those coming will be hard to documant because of the lack of hard copies .Even over the past few years things have changed dramaticallly and floppy discs(remember them) have disappeared ,now discs are being phased out and its memory sticks people keep their pictures on.If things keep changing in a hundred years its only those of us who have kept prints that will be able to look at Great granny or grandpa's face and thats a shame

spottysocks Sat 22-Jul-17 15:26:33

I'm in the middle of sorting out all of mine too netgran, like you I have an assortment of 6x4 7x5 Large and some old pictures of my ancestors,that have a sort of stiff cardboard backing making it impossible to store into any photo albums,
I bought from a well known craft store an A4 document box it's clear Polypropylene and it's ideal for those awkward sized photos and I have put most of mine in there. It was not very expensive and I also scan most of my photo's too as they do fade after a time. For the normal 7x5 photos I use the slip in sort album and for the 6x4s I use a photo box as it holds loads!smile hope this helps

Elegran Sat 22-Jul-17 13:01:18

If anything is written on the back, photograph that too, and if any are in fancy cardboard frames with a photographers name on, photograph that.

Try to keep the old ones if you possibly can, or ask your relatives whether they would like them. Someone tracing their family history might be very pleased to have them.

jollyg Sat 22-Jul-17 12:41:11

Use your phone to take apic of each old photo, Best done with the photo in a bright place, no flash, try to get the camera parallel to the photo.

Title the photo and there you have a family history to distribute to all.

Plenty of tips on using a mobile to copy photographs via mr Google

netgran Sat 22-Jul-17 12:05:24

Hi everyone. I am sat here looking at a mountain of photograph albums and a mountain of the ones you got in the packet when you went to collect them from the developers (Boots, Kodak etc) We have recently downsized to an apartment and have no storage space for them whatsoever and my family live many miles away. Some of these photographs are very old sepia of my ancestors, right up to very new ones taken with my camera. In addition to all this, I have lots of digital ones taken with my phone and saved in electronic form! I have very special ones of family in frames which are displayed around the apartment. I really don't want to throw photographs away but need to have a serious sort out and would welcome any ideas??!!!