Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

To feel absolutely disgusted by this?

(109 Posts)
FarNorth Wed 02-Aug-17 19:23:31

And why do those who have control of the millions and billions never seem to feel guilty? Or to do anything about it, if they do?

varian Wed 02-Aug-17 19:19:13

The more extreme inequality there is in the world, the less chance of the human race surviving, let alone advancing.

Perhaps this has always been true but ours is the first generation to experience worldwide conectivity through the internet.

Which one of us does not alternate between feeling guilty about our comfortable lives when faced with images of starvation and feeling appalled at the millions and billions squandered on pointless luxuries for the few?

Alima Wed 02-Aug-17 19:17:43

As well as the obscene amount involved I think that money has been killing off football for years now. Also many other sports. Iam waiting for the whole thing to implode. Surely Jimmy Hill didn't envisage this when he was fighting for players' wages.

gillybob Wed 02-Aug-17 19:15:51

As my dad ( a season ticket holder at his beloved Newcastle United) always says " it'll all come to a sorry end, you mark my words "

I wish it would bloody well hurry up . It's totally obscene .

Imperfect27 Wed 02-Aug-17 19:10:19

Same here
- greed, greed, greed, greed and more greed.

eddiecat78 Wed 02-Aug-17 19:07:56

I`d like to comment on this but I find myself lost for words. There can be no sensible justification for it. It is nauseating.

On the BBC news this item followed a piece about women unable to claim their pensions and being driven to suicidal thoughts because they are having to ask family members for financial help

Chewbacca Wed 02-Aug-17 19:00:05

Heard it on the news this morning phoenix and it made my blood boil too. How can anyone justify £199million for kicking a lump of leather around a bit of grass? As you say, it beggars belief when you think of what that amount of money could have bought instead. It's obscene.

Smurf52 Wed 02-Aug-17 18:44:20

Bring back the England squad of 1966, they earned a modest wage and were much more talented than today's players!

phoenix Wed 02-Aug-17 18:38:04

The totally obscene amount of money involved in moving someone who kicks a ball from one team of ball kickers to another?

That amount of money could possibly change the lives of many people in third world countries, provide clean water projects, schools, etc.

I am practically incandescent!