Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Your fascinating choice of pseudonames

(71 Posts)
grannysue05 Mon 18-Sep-17 17:48:03

I joined Gransnet earlier this year and as my name is Sue and I am a grandma I used the name granny sue 05(special date for me).
Since then I have been absolutely fascinated by the choices of names that my fellow GN's are using.
The lovely sounding cherrytree and lemongrove; nightowl and exotic serkeen .
The amusing ones like Ilovecheese and chewbacca .
The ladies with strong ideas (great!) like paddyann and durhamjen ......I wait for your simulating comments.
And Imperfect ...surely you are not !
And Maggiemaybe are you ? Or are you not ?
Please share the stories behind the choices.

CherryHatrick Mon 18-Sep-17 17:50:22

I am what I am...

MawBroon Mon 18-Sep-17 17:59:58

What a brilliant made-up word -it describes us exactly,
love it pseudonames

Anyone familiar with Oor Wullie and the Broons will recognise me even if you can't see my pinny and my bun.

TwiceAsNice Mon 18-Sep-17 18:04:47

My daughter had twins for her first pregnancy. I had so looked forward to her having a baby that two at once was TwiceasNice.

Grannyknot Mon 18-Sep-17 18:07:34

I was "not" a granny when I first joined ... I am now! smile

Darnsarf Mon 18-Sep-17 18:12:52

I'm originally from Kendal but moved to Surrey 10 years ago, therefore I moved darnsarf!

lemongrove Mon 18-Sep-17 18:18:29

So many names were already taken,and had a lovely holiday next to a lemon grove in Spain.?

Moneyboss Mon 18-Sep-17 18:20:24

I'm exactly what it says. My OH never has any cash on him so I'm the money boss and also treasurer of a football forum.

Cherrytree59 Mon 18-Sep-17 18:21:03

Grannysue Welcome
I am very honoured that you like my psuedoname.

Joining GN coincided with the birth of my first grandchild.
As he was born during the summer
I have the wonderful memory of sitting in the shade under our old Cherry tree cuddling my little bundle of joysmile.

Mawbroon you grace our kitchen wall
I have a Broons calendar every year +since--time immemorialgrin

Marelli Mon 18-Sep-17 18:46:40

Mine is a combination of the first parts of my 3 children's names. ☺️

Cherrytree59 Mon 18-Sep-17 18:51:06

Forgive me
but from one Cherry to another
Is your name Cherryhatrick from The football world?
Bournemouth FC nicknamed the Cherries
They had the fastest hat trick ever scored.
Or as in the author and Playboy William Donaldson's 3rd wife
Cherry Hattrick?
Or am I way off
and just being a bit thick

Greyduster Mon 18-Sep-17 19:00:23

Mine is the name of a fishing fly - one of my favourites, but I haven't had much opportunity to use it this year.

MissAdventure Mon 18-Sep-17 19:04:09

I always wondered where your name came from, greyduster!

Maggiemaybe Mon 18-Sep-17 19:15:25

I am, grannysue, and thank you for noticing my name!

When I joined I wanted to be Maggie May. It was one of the pet names my dad used for me, frequently accompanied by a hearty rendition of that very inappropriate song about me not walking down Lime Street any more and loving sailors grin. Apparently that name was taken, so I just extended it a little!

Imperfect27 Mon 18-Sep-17 19:30:27

Good thread! So many mysteries solved!

I chose Imperfect because I feel okay with life not being perfect ... The number 27 is special to me. And I love that some Gnetters shorten it to Imp - I think that suits me as well! grin

CherryHatrick Mon 18-Sep-17 19:32:58

Cherrytree59 Nothing quite so convoluted; I'm classed as a geriatric grin

Swanny Mon 18-Sep-17 19:43:16

Lovely thread. Mine is a nickname used by someone important in my life a long time ago. Not a lot of people know that smile

Cherrytree59 Mon 18-Sep-17 19:52:29

Cherryhatrick
blush so I was being a bit thick!!
Makes sense when you actually say it out loudgrin

NanaandGrampy Mon 18-Sep-17 19:57:43

We had a joint email account which we used for the grandchildren, as we needed an email to join I just used NanaandGrampy :-)

Farmor15 Mon 18-Sep-17 20:01:32

My son lives in Sweden and they distinguish between mother's mother - "mormor" and father's mother- "farmor". 15 was the number of the house I grew up in.

Tea and cake Mon 18-Sep-17 20:11:13

Some things without which life would be poorer, tea and cake!!

petra Mon 18-Sep-17 20:13:17

I had been on holiday to Petra not long before I joined.

downtoearth Mon 18-Sep-17 20:25:01

I am what I am..

nightowl Mon 18-Sep-17 20:36:55

I'm glad you like my name grannysue. I always thought it was a bit uninspired really! At the time I joined GN I was working shifts, often into the early hours of the morning and at least once a week an overnighter all alone in an office building. I actually signed up during a (quiet) night shift and had to think of a name quickly - being very sleep-deprived at the time it was the first thing that came to mind.

It's a bit of a misnomer now- I gave up shift work three years ago and have become more of a dormouse. Maybe I should change my name smile

ginny Mon 18-Sep-17 20:44:40

Mine ( like Swanny )is a name I was called by someone special when I was a child.