Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would YOU do?

(58 Posts)
Fairydoll2030 Sun 01-Oct-17 20:44:54

My son, partner and DGS flew to Spain with Monarch last week. Today, It looks very much like Monarch may go 'bust.' Lots about it on News so won't put the details. Sons tickets are flight only and not ATOL protected. Had text conversation earlier and he seems to think the CAA will 'rescue' anyone stranded abroad if an airline goes under. However, I've just read that CAA only protects ATOL passengers! If they can't get a Monarch flight they might have to pay inflated prices with another airline if and when they can get a flight
Have been checking Easyjet website and it looks like flights back from sons destination are selling fast - obviously people making contingency plans.
I really don't want to interfere especially as my relationship with sons partner is tenuous at best. However , currently, for £160 I could purchase flights for them back to the UK on Easyjet together with hold luggage). I'm not so much worried about the adults being stranded as my DGS maybe stuck at the airport.
Son would reimburse me I'm sure but at the moment, although he has been keeping track of developments, I don't think he realises the potential seriousness of the situation.
Just being a concerned grandparent and mum, so please be gentle with me..

midgey Sun 01-Oct-17 20:51:56

Afraid you have to leave it to them! I totally understand where you are coming from but it's their life, their look out and even worse your dgs is their son.

tanith Sun 01-Oct-17 20:59:35

If it were my son and partner I don't think he would thank me for poking my nose in, sorry if that sounds harsh but they are adults and should be allowed to make their own decisions/choices.

MissAdventure Sun 01-Oct-17 21:03:43

I would expect they would have been checking out every possibility if they were that concerned about getting stranded. Maybe they aren't too upset about the idea? I probably wouldn't mention it.

FarNorth Sun 01-Oct-17 21:54:27

I'd offer to get the tickets for them, just in case they had difficulties. But if they didn't want me to, I'd just have to accept it.

BlueBelle Sun 01-Oct-17 22:13:55

I m like you and would want to rescue them but unfortunately we can’t I have to work to learn you have to wait to be asked to help
Hope all goes well

BlueBelle Sun 01-Oct-17 22:14:47

‘Work hard’ that is, sorry for mistake

BlueBelle Mon 02-Oct-17 04:25:56

Monarch has gone..... I ve just heard it on the radio so I do hope your family had made contingency plans, fairydoll
let us know how it goes

Bellanonna Mon 02-Oct-17 05:26:10

I think it's good of you fairydoll to want to help. As you have been having text conversations could you not just suggest getting tickets for them? I wouldn't want to get them without asking, but surely they would appreciate your help? It's an awful situation to be in and not conducive to a happy, relaxing holiday.

BlueBelle Mon 02-Oct-17 05:37:42

Latest news says ALL folks abroad will be brought home by rescue flights automatically, so I think your son is right they will get a flight ok ATOL or not

Fairydoll2030 Mon 02-Oct-17 07:10:21

Just heard the news. Wish I had booked those flights last night! Texted son this morning but he just said understands and will keep checking. As its unprecedented, I think it will be chaotic. Told him some Easyjet flights available.

Anya Mon 02-Oct-17 07:41:56

Not to worry. They'll get home somehow, eventually!

Riverwalk Mon 02-Oct-17 07:51:19

I've just heard an official on Radio 4 - she said everyone will be brought home and was adamant that no-one will be stranded.

Whether your son will eventually have to pay for this is another matter. Also, if he paid by credit card that should give him some financial protection.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 02-Oct-17 07:55:26

They have booked an alternative flight, thank goodness.
It wasn't son and partner I was concerned about - it was DGS. Government wants CAA to charter 30 aircraft but as this situation is unprecedented and passengers may not know details of the rescue flights until a couple of days before it's worrying. At least they have a guaranteed flight now.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 02-Oct-17 07:57:00

Correction - may not know details of rescue flights until 48 hours before they are due to return

Anya Mon 02-Oct-17 07:59:39

I'm sure your son will look after your GS and fetch him home too ?

Fairydoll2030 Mon 02-Oct-17 08:29:15

I hope so, he's only3!

silverlining48 Mon 02-Oct-17 08:33:59

Holiday insurance should cover any extra costs? Or Credit card company?

harrigran Mon 02-Oct-17 08:39:52

Your DS flew to Spain with an airline that has had problems for some time, he must be well aware that this could happen. He has had his holiday, there are several hundred thousand with bookings that will have to be rearranged if they are to get their holiday.

FarNorth Mon 02-Oct-17 08:49:58

I understand your worry, Fairydoll.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 02-Oct-17 08:53:50

Harrigran. I totally agree with you and I certainly wouldn't have flown with them. My primary concern was for my grandson. It could be a logistical nightmare getting 110,000 people back on chartered aircraft.
At the moment, the whys and wherefores aren't important.

Maggiemaybe Mon 02-Oct-17 09:22:54

I must be naive, as I don't check out the financial status of my airline before I book a holiday. In fact I've just had to look at the confirmation for our next trip, in November, to make sure it wasn't Ryanair or Monarch. It's Easyjet, so hurrah for that (I think). grin

The CAA are bringing everyone back and have told travellers there's no need to panic or to book new flights. But if it makes you feel happier that they've done so, it's probably for the best.

Fairydoll2030 Mon 02-Oct-17 09:43:35

I'm sure the CAA will bring everyone back, but when you are travelling with young children I think it's peace,of mind to know when and, more importantly, where your rescue flight lands.

This will be the biggest peacetime repatriation in peacetime history so unprecedented and untried.

So, so sad for all those who will lose their holidays and for those, too, who have lost their jobs.

Irenelily Mon 02-Oct-17 09:58:15

On the news it also said the CAA has plans to bring everybody back at approximately the time of their expected return- so wait for news!

Hm999 Mon 02-Oct-17 10:10:41

No travel insurance?