Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ironing Board

(26 Posts)
Coolgran65 Tue 31-Oct-17 16:35:56

My current ironing board has decided that now and again it will collapse at random. The parts are well worn and past fixing so I'm looking for a new ironing board.

I've looked at some on Amazon and didn't realise how expensive they had become.
I need it to hold a steam generator iron.
www.dunelm.com/product/elements-ironing-board-1000084997
This one is in Dunelm and is half the price of some of the Brabantia boards. It has a shelf to hold ironed items and a big enough stand for the steam generator iron.

I'd like to pay as little as possible but don't want to buy cheap and buy twice. Also some cheaper ones have poor padding and it means buying another quality cover to get a decent ironed finish.
The above link is priced at £39.99. Others go up to over £100.

Has anyone recently bought a new ironing board that they are really pleased with.

whitewave Tue 31-Oct-17 16:37:25

I will be interested in replies as well. I’ve had mine since we got married in 1968, so it really needs replacing.

Auntieflo Tue 31-Oct-17 17:52:42

Does mine qualify as an antique? I had it when we got married in 1961, and it's still going strong. Apart from the occasional new cover, fingers crossed , nothing goes wrong with it.

suzied Tue 31-Oct-17 17:55:25

You don’t need a special ironing board for your steam generator , I just put the tank on a chair or stool by the side of the ironing board. I got my ironing board from Aldi and always use 2 covers to get a better finish.

kittylester Tue 31-Oct-17 18:46:43

I've got a Brabantia that I've had years and years so I think they are a good investment! Mine is quite big but I still put my steam generator on the work surface with the ironing board parallel. Ironed clothes go onto the kitchen table.

Nelliemoser Tue 31-Oct-17 18:53:17

I have found cheap ironing boards not much use.
I am afraid you will probably need to buy a more expensive one than you think. The cheaper ones we have had all seem to have developed wobbles .

Or don't bother to iron for most things.
Roll up your bedding smoothing out creases as a far as you can and when you put it on the bed stretch it out again as much as possible. I can assure you after a couple of hours you will not notice the difference.

The same with trousers. straighten the fabric and roll them up from the bottom. Shirts and table cloths are probably all you really need to iron. The thicker the fabric the less ironing. Advice from "Lazy housewife."

Coolgran65 Tue 31-Oct-17 22:14:55

The link in my original post came with high rated reviews. Supposedly reduced from around £70.

Some Brabantia are really well reviewed on Amazon and Dunelm and some of the cheaper Branbantia weren't so well reviewed.

I'm a bit of an ironing nerd, love to see crisp bedding including the fitted sheets. Tea towels pack in a cupboard/drawer so much more easily when ironed. There isn't much that I don't iron.

I fully understand pp comment about the cover, I have 3 covers on mine at present.

It's at least ten years old and if dh could sort it so that it no longer collapsed I'd be happy to live with it for another ten years.

Dh says there's actually a bit missing = bin it... were his words.

harrigran Wed 01-Nov-17 10:17:10

We never put the iron on the ironing board but on the worktop along side of the board. We have an extra wide Minky one, good for surface area but quite difficult to get decent covers for. The newer boards all seem to be wire mesh which leaves patterns on clothes unless you buy thick pads to go under the cover.

shysal Wed 01-Nov-17 10:22:11

I too have an extra wide Minky for steam generator. Anything which cuts ironing time down is good in my book. Not that I do much, my starched sheets only. The covers to fit are available on Ebay.

Miep1 Wed 01-Nov-17 10:37:57

What's an ironing board? Come to that, what's an iron?

Coolgran65 Wed 01-Nov-17 13:36:39

harrigran, my current collapsing ironing board is wire mesh which is why it has about 3 ironing covers on it.

I don't iron in the kitchen and so need to be able to place my steam generator onto the ironing board and there isn't really the space to place a chair to take the water tank etc.

Looks like we're going this afternoon for new ironing board.

Thanks all.

davismiller Tue 24-Apr-18 08:59:42

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Izabella Tue 24-Apr-18 09:33:33

I'm with Meipl on this one from the point of view that life is too short. However I respect the fact that some people do feel a need to iron.

Situpstraight Tue 24-Apr-18 09:42:06

I have a fairly old Ikea ironing board which replaced our wedding present one from 1971 ( much repaired wooden one) it’s quite light to carry, but I still have an old blanket on it plus part of an old sheet and 2 covers. I think the covers weigh nearly as much as the board!
How can you not iron clothes? It helps to release the slight stiffness of the fabric after washing and the clothes hold their shape better. I’m wrinkly enough without wrinkly clothes too?

hildajenniJ Tue 24-Apr-18 10:44:41

I've got a Brabantia ironing board. I've had it for years, it must have had about six new covers. I don't iron as much as I used to, but DH likes a smooth shirt, and his jeans ironed.

M0nica Tue 24-Apr-18 10:50:30

My ironing board belonged to my MiL before me and probably dates back to the 1950s or 60s.

It was good to have the use of a solid well balanced ironing board after years of wobbly metal ones.

MawBroon Tue 24-Apr-18 11:01:36

I have a slightly wider one so I can iron more of an item at a time
But seriously shouldn’t this thread be entitled “Ironing bored “? grin

Mapleleaf Tue 24-Apr-18 22:10:14

Mines a brabantia. Had it quite a long time now. I got it from Argos.

BlueBelle Tue 24-Apr-18 22:35:30

Mine only comes out on high days and holidays, maybe twice a year if it’s lucky, so has lasted me for donkeys years I think it cost a fiver. Does me, I don’t iron and nothing of mine shows wrinkles I hang them out as soon as they re washed if it rains they go in the tumbler and come out great
I have a daughter and daughter in law who iron everything and a daughter who doesn’t own an ironing board or iron

Versavisa Wed 25-Apr-18 00:11:35

We don’t have much room to store an ironing board so have one that folds in half - the board bit that is. Very easy to store in a cupboard. But more bits are starting to fall off it and I haven’t seen another one like it. No brand name or memory of where we bought it from.

If it goes to ironing board heaven we shall have to give up ironing!

phoenix Wed 25-Apr-18 01:40:12

Ironing tea towels ???? Mine just get folded, and still fit into their allotted drawer without any problems! grin

Still, could be worse, one of my Aunts would wash and iron shoelaces on a weekly basis confused

(Mind you, she also hoovered the rafters in the garage and bleached her plastic curtain tracks weekly as well)

BlueBelle Wed 25-Apr-18 05:40:52

Life s too short Phoenix

MamaCaz Wed 25-Apr-18 10:36:26

Don't iron clothes - smooth clothes just make the wearer's wrinkles show up more. That's my excuse, anyway! grin

Lovetopaint037 Fri 04-May-18 20:04:44

Only iron if going away! That way an ironing board lasts for years.

annep Sun 03-Jun-18 07:27:50

Like my clothes ironed mostly unless I can see clear that they don't need ironed. Wouldn't feel good wearing wrinkly clothes. Just iron duvet covers too. and pillow cases.