Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandmother “ dry-nursing” grandchild?

(38 Posts)
Jalima1108 Mon 18-Dec-17 17:07:38

Well, she has a baby DC only 11 months older than her DGD so is this dry nursing or wet nursing?
I'm sure it used to be normal years ago.

Is she American? (she and her DD have the same pediatrician {sic} and belong to the same 'Mommy Group'?)

Esspee Mon 18-Dec-17 16:46:45

Done with the full knowledge and agreement of the mother it is a great solution.
I, very briefly, nursed a baby whose mother was in despair as she wasn't taking her breast. The transition to the mum went smoothly and baby was successfully breastfed.
I also had a friend with a child of the same age as my second. We had a pact that if either of us was in difficulty the other would ensure their baby was fed. Their elder child was bitten by a dog. Mum left baby with me as she took her to A&E. Come feeding time he was screaming and I offered my breast. He latched on eagerly, relaxed, opened his eyes, saw it wasn't mummy and screamed. Fortunately mummy arrived soon after.
I cannot understand why anyone thinks there is anything wrong with the scenario brought up by the OP.

Fennel Mon 18-Dec-17 16:31:39

"I have also heard of adoptive mothers breastfeeding their adopted babies in the USA. "
I mentioned on another thread that DiL had managed to do this.

Baggs Mon 18-Dec-17 16:26:02

Shrug. A cuddling dummy. What's not to like?

Slightly off topic... I didn't dry up completely for eighteen months after DD2 was weaned. It was a nice feeling thinking that if I'd been needed as a wet nurse I could have obliged. I wonder, in short generations and before much birth control, if grandmas sometimes did help feed their grandchildren? Some of them might still have been producing babies when their oldest daughters started to reproduce.

trisher Mon 18-Dec-17 16:24:46

If she's happy, DD is happy and baby isn't crying what the hell has it got to do with anyone else?

annodomini Mon 18-Dec-17 15:55:38

If it worked, why not?

NotTooOld Mon 18-Dec-17 15:51:12

Words fail.

GrandmaMoira Mon 18-Dec-17 15:05:07

It sounds all wrong. I have also heard of adoptive mothers breastfeeding their adopted babies in the USA.

janeainsworth Mon 18-Dec-17 15:01:51

Quote: “As it turns out, her daughter was happy with her mum's dry-nursing”

So what’s it got to do with anyone else and how on earth did the story find its way into the newspapers and social media?

Christinefrance Mon 18-Dec-17 14:52:37

It seems strange now but don't forget that historically a wet nurse was employed to feed the baby of wealthy parents.
At least this lady was related to the child. I don't know how I would feel though it seems odd.

DanniRae Mon 18-Dec-17 13:41:51

Me too Miss A!!

MissAdventure Mon 18-Dec-17 13:04:02

It gives me the heebie jeebies!

Daddima Mon 18-Dec-17 12:59:41

Not for me, thanks!

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/family-kids/grandmas-decision-dry-nurse-baby-11712091

I don’t know if I’d feel differently if it was my daughter’s child, but don’t think so.