Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Retro beauty products anyone?

(104 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 20-Feb-18 23:16:19

My latest lovely find whilst waiting in my small independent chemist is ‘Anne French’ cleansing milk. Same iconic blue & white triangular shaped bottle. It’s so light, non greasy, (I’d forgotten how great it is!) it smells heavenly and after cleansing with it using cotton pads, I don’t use toner afterwards as the light milk is a semi moisturiser, ideal when going to bed after make up removal. My skin is looking marvellous & best of all it only costs around £3! I would thoroughly (re)recommend this old favourite product to fellow GN’s! Has anyone else found similar ‘old loves’ that we may have forgotten about?

Herbie9 Fri 23-Feb-18 12:21:34

Loved Californian Poppy and Evening in Paris perfumes as a teenager. My favourite now is Channel No.5 and some of the Clinique range.

mumofmadboys Fri 23-Feb-18 09:44:41

I am slightly ashamed to say I don't use anything on my face except soap and water. I wash my face once a day. Wear minimal makeup - a bit of eyeshadow only for going out. I am fortunate I have good skin. Anyone else who uses little?

shysal Fri 23-Feb-18 09:08:09

My mother used Ponds vanishing cream, much lighter than the cold cream. I used to love the smell. It is still available but has a different scent. On Ebay it sells for £27.99 for a single jar or £11.95 for three (100ml jar)! confused

Peaseblossom Fri 23-Feb-18 06:58:30

Daddima they were called Eye Dew.

Coco51 Thu 22-Feb-18 23:36:41

Remember Max Factor’s ‘Sheer Genius’ all over, lips too I must have looked like a ghost!

Coco51 Thu 22-Feb-18 23:31:55

Yes, it was a favourite of mine - I loved the lid! I’ve seen some recently but it doesn’t smell as good as the original.

Spiritual Thu 22-Feb-18 22:42:00

Thank you so much for all your posts. I used to be an Avon Representative and absolutely loved the Occur cream perfume. I loved it so much I sold more of it in three weeks than anyone else in the UK and wore it for many years. I changed over to Chanel No. 5. Thank you so much for your post cheneslieges132. I have been telling the shop assistants in departmental stores around London and whenever I go through duty free that the perfume does not stay on me anymore and for years now they have been telling me it was me and that it is because I couldn't smell it. I am so pleased to find out that it wasn't in my imagination, although it is a great loss not to have that wonderful perfume. On a dull Monday morning one squirt of Chanel No. 5 and I was ready to face anything.

Nanna58 Thu 22-Feb-18 22:38:08

Found a bottle of 'Flex' shampoo and one of conditioner, haven't seen it since I was a teenager and, oh, how the smell took me back!

Nanannotgrandma Thu 22-Feb-18 22:27:12

I loved Avon’s ‘To a Wild Rose’ it was my very first perfume. Max Factor block mascara was the best, I hate modern wand mascaras they are so heavy. Just started using Nivea cream again in this very cold weather. I am definitely going to look for Anne French cleansing milk as an alternative to face wipes, I used that in my teens on recommendation from my Mum. I have decided to give up using all wipes because of the effect on the environment

starlily106 Thu 22-Feb-18 22:19:26

Anne French cleansing milk. I have used it for as long as i can remember, and I still love it. I think it's the best cleanser you can buy. If anyone wants to buy it you can get it in Savers stores, only £2.99. Smells lovely and is very gentle, and leaves your skin feeling great.

lemongrove Thu 22-Feb-18 21:39:56

saggi well, I reeked of it when I was 14.?
In my mid twenties, when married we had a holiday in Koln
Germany (Cologne) and I discovered the 4711 factory was there.We walked along the river, the factory was on the other side, and the scent was in the air all around.

Artyfarty Thu 22-Feb-18 21:35:28

smile

JaneD3 Thu 22-Feb-18 19:58:39

I loved Aqua Manda! About three years ago at Christmas there was a relaunch at Debenhams.

1974cookie Thu 22-Feb-18 19:40:53

I looked after a Lady many years ago who had the most amazing skin. Her secret?
She used Sunlight soap.
This is the soap that is meant to be used for washing clothes.

Saggi Thu 22-Feb-18 19:37:29

You can buy Vosene Shampoo in Sainsburys...look for a bright green plastic bottle!

Saggi Thu 22-Feb-18 19:30:25

4711 Eau-de-cologne....took me right back to sitting on grannies knee! Bliss!

harrysgran Thu 22-Feb-18 18:47:33

Ah Endocil I'd forgotten used to love smell and texture ,peppermint pink rimmel lipstick and lemon delph cleanser

Urmstongran Thu 22-Feb-18 18:38:41

Ooh I’d forgotten about Vosene (smell was SO clean!). And Silvikrin was a real treat as it was so silky.

BBbevan Thu 22-Feb-18 18:33:29

Can you get Silvikrin shampoo anymore. I loved the smell

Grandmama Thu 22-Feb-18 18:02:29

PS My first lipstick was a Helena Rubinstein in a gold metal case along with a HR powder compact. I still have them both. My mother and I went to Boots to buy them, the lipstick colour was quite unsuitable for my age (early teens) but as my mother's make-up kit consisted of a compact and two lipsticks she wasn't exactly an expert.

Grandmama Thu 22-Feb-18 17:55:16

I liked Endocil face cream, smelt lovely and left a lovely matt finish. In my teens I was given Coty patchouli, I loved it. There was Revlon's aquamarine deodorant, it was a lotion. And for several years I used Rose Laird's cleansers. Breck shampoo was another product.

Daddima Thu 22-Feb-18 16:13:57

Oh jings, crispy64, I’d forgotten about the strawberry meringue lipstick!

Does anyone remember what the blue eye drops were called? I’ve googled , but don’t recognise any of them.

glynis1234 Thu 22-Feb-18 16:12:02

What happened to Vosenine shampoo. It was really good.

grammargran Thu 22-Feb-18 16:09:59

I loved Gordon Moore’s bright red toothpaste - it worked a dream. I can still taste it if I shut my eyes. You can get red toothpaste in France but it’s nothing like as good. Californian Poppy I remember, too, as well as Evening in Paris in that lovely dark blue bottle. Max Factor seemed to be in its heyday when I was young - I used to slather it all on, all at a time when I didn’t need it at all, just like today with all those gorgeous girls advertising wrinkle free creams!

Urmstongran Thu 22-Feb-18 16:09:31

Hey ladies, re Anne French cleansing milk ..... not only is it stocked in my local independent chemist (which was where I first found it as I love browsing in a chemist shop whilst waiting to be served!). But I’ve just come back from Sainsbury’s & it’s in there too! Never noticed it before.