Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why do they have to be there

(51 Posts)
hulahoop Thu 01-Mar-18 22:39:33

Forgive me if this has been said before , why do news reporters have to be stood outside in freezing conditions when nobody is there , when they are advising people not to do unessary journeys they look frozen .

Farmor15 Thu 01-Mar-18 22:42:15

And they never seem to wear anything on their head!

MissAdventure Thu 01-Mar-18 23:01:50

You just know that if there is terrible weather, some poor sod is going to be in the thick of it, hanging onto a lamppost so they can tell you there are gusts of 165mph..

Marydoll Thu 01-Mar-18 23:20:03

Just said the very same thing to DH tonight.?

rascal Thu 01-Mar-18 23:21:28

Yes been thinking that too! confused

Scooter58 Thu 01-Mar-18 23:35:09

Yip, thinking that tonight, news report of school being closed due to bad weather,reporter outside school gates,camera focusing on padlock on said gates !!!!

MissAdventure Thu 01-Mar-18 23:47:49

youtu.be/IUL7FZfUHi0

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Mar-18 00:02:19

Just what DH and I said tonight. Laura Kuenssberg looking frozen in London, no hat, the West Country reporter standing outside in Taunton getting a pile of snow on her head by the end of the report. Obviously she had had her hood up before starting as her hair was dry at the start!

But at least our weather forecaster was inside for once in his woolly pully. grin

And if there is a gale, high tide and waves crashing over the sea wall there is some poor reporter, saying how dangerous it is and how foolish some people are going on the seafront.
confused

Auntieflo Fri 02-Mar-18 09:11:50

Mad dogs of Englishmen, and all that. (insert type of weather as applicable)

Teetime Fri 02-Mar-18 09:21:56

Ridiculous isn't it one poor chap yesterday had bright re5d cheeks and I yelled at him - Where is your hat? He must have heard because he had one on next time - such is my power!

Luckygirl Fri 02-Mar-18 09:24:12

We are always saying how bonkers it is - and expensive when in it involves going abroad to say something that could just as easily be said from the studio.

Nelliemoser Fri 02-Mar-18 09:35:29

One thing I learnt years ago when doing a basic mountain safety course was that in even ordinary British winters you should be worried about getting really cold and this winter is way colder than normal.
Without proper winter clothing you are in danger of frostbite and hypothermia, which is getting so cold the blood decides to leave the brain to keep the major organs functioning, at which point you may collapse.

These silly reporters really should wear their hats a large amount of your total body heat is in your brain.
I have seen mountain park rangers suggesting to people they are not safely equipped for what they are attempting, telling people about this problem so the mountain rescue don't have to go out to rescue people who have ignored the advice.

Anniebach Fri 02-Mar-18 10:46:36

Here in Mid Wales we have rather a lot of mountains, every year the road going over the highest range linking Mid and South is blocked with snow , every year on the Welsh news we see a reporter , who must have a camera man and a driver with them standing on the highest part of the road telling us the road is snowed up, dangerous for traffic etc, they have travelled nearly fifty miles to do this.

Nonnie Fri 02-Mar-18 11:03:51

Last two days the BBC have shown a female reporter in Scotland and she has worn a nice warm furry hat.

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Mar-18 11:27:43

They know what to do up there!!

DanniRae Fri 02-Mar-18 11:41:34

I have been saying to my husband exactly the same thing about reporters not wearing hats when they are out in terrible weather. Makes me feel cold just watching them. Brrrrrrr !! shock

Maggiemaybe Fri 02-Mar-18 11:57:31

Our local reporters have all been out and about, freezing their bits off next to snowdrifts and emoting about rough sleepers and how hard it is for them. Not once have they thought to publicise the emergency numbers given out by our local councils, who have committed to providing shelter and a hot meal for anyone who needs it.

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Mar-18 12:12:10

One reporter suggested the local shelter to a man out on the streets who was cold and shivering (I think the reporter had just given him a hot coffee) but the man said that no, he could not stand being inside, he preferred to be outside and take his chances.
sad

goldengirl Fri 02-Mar-18 12:48:48

My DD and I were in the car and saw a man in a doorway recently who looked really ill, had crutches and was blue with cold although he had a woolly hat on and an anorak. He told DD he'd been turned away from a local shelter as it was full and was trying to get to the next town by train. We were nervous about having him in the car but we gave him some money for his train fare and went on our journey. Along the way I rang a local homeless shelter and was told they couldn't help as they only dealt with young adults!!! They suggested I call the police. I found another number and the person was far more helpful though I had to answer a heck of a lot of questions about the person that I didn't know the answer to. With his crutches he wouldn't have been able to get far fast so hopefully someone went to his aid. I hadn't realised it was so difficult to get help.

Maggiemaybe Fri 02-Mar-18 13:47:36

That's just the sort of person that could have been helped round here if the emergency numbers had been published on our local news, goldengirl. Apparently the line is manned 24/7 and there's a team of volunteers going out to anyone whose details are phoned in, to take them to the emergency shelters. Of course there will always be some who won't want to take the offer up, as Jamila says. It doesn't bear thinking about, does it?

yggdrasil Fri 02-Mar-18 16:29:30

Quite a few say they find the shelters dangerous, for getting beaten up or robbed of what little they have. And that's just the men, the women have more to look out for

Griselda Sat 03-Mar-18 09:18:59

I agree - I wondered if there was someone I could write to at the BBC about the lack of hats, the men in particular.

Lyndie Sat 03-Mar-18 09:36:36

I would stand out in the cold for a few minutes if I earned a 6 figure salary as Laura does. But I have to say they are vane. They should be dressed appropriately ?

Lyndie Sat 03-Mar-18 09:39:54

Sorry. Vain.

Grandma70s Sat 03-Mar-18 09:56:30

I give them marks out of ten. Full marks if they wear a hat AND gloves.

It may not be altogether their choice. There will be programme producers probably saying that if they look really cold and shivery, and have snow falling on their heads, it will look more dramatic.