Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

In what ways are you like your mother?

(90 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

estergransnet (GNHQ) Wed 07-Mar-18 17:39:34

Hello!

As Mother's Day is fast approaching, we've been thinking a lot about our mums and how they've influenced us as adults. Have you found yourself becoming more like your mother as you get older (or less so?)? Perhaps spouting the same advice, or looking in the mirror and doing a double take?!

We'd love to hear what you've all got to say.

GNHQ

MawBroon Wed 07-Mar-18 17:44:26

Funnily enough when Paw used to even get close to suggesting that, it was not usually meant as a compliment grin so the less said the better!

kittylester Wed 07-Mar-18 17:48:19

Maw grin

I hope not.

annsixty Wed 07-Mar-18 17:51:45

I think I have her and her mother's indomitable spirit. My D seems to have it as well. Apart from that absolutely nothing and I used to struggle to buy a card for Mothering Sunday and birthdays that said just enough but not too much.

Greyduster Wed 07-Mar-18 18:20:57

I hope the only thing we have in common is that she was a good hands-on grandmother and so am I. I would not want to be like her in any other way.

grannyactivist Wed 07-Mar-18 18:30:34

Oh dear - I suspect this may not go quite the way it was foreseen. I'm yet another that has been influenced not to be like my mum, at least when it comes to parenting. I too struggle with choosing a card that doesn't have mawkish sentiments that would be totally unsuitable.

tanith Wed 07-Mar-18 18:34:42

I look in the mirror and there she is staring back at me I just wish I had her lovely svelt figure she was always slim. I'm glad I'm not moody though my Mum could sulk for England.

Luckygirl Wed 07-Mar-18 18:59:11

Not too many ways hope - a challenging lady.

MissAdventure Wed 07-Mar-18 19:01:46

In all the right ways smile

Moocow Wed 07-Mar-18 19:22:37

Difficult one as I know my own mother's faults and I have plenty too! I would like to hope that I give love unconditionally to those that matter most, just as my mother did though.

aggie Wed 07-Mar-18 19:27:21

An old friend of my Mum met me for coffe , she sat staring at me then burst out , You are very like your Mother ............. but .............. she was good looking ! I got up and walked out

Moocow Wed 07-Mar-18 19:37:57

Really aggie?! Well done for acting so quickly!

dogsmother Wed 07-Mar-18 19:47:05

She was very sharp.
She was a very intelligent.
She was go getting.
She was a forward thinker.
She was a lot of the things I am not.
But she wasn't a bad mum, and I don't look anything like her.

hildajenniJ Wed 07-Mar-18 19:56:28

I'm nothing like my mother, she was a worrier whereas I'm as laid back as they come. I'm like my Dad in every way, even in looks.

M0nica Wed 07-Mar-18 19:57:26

Well to start with she had tight curly hair and mine is dead straight!

And that probably sums it up Whatever my mother was like, physically and mentally I am the opposite. We had our battles, but she was a loving and caring mother, and I hope my children would say the same of me.

Nobody, not even those who knew both of us well, has ever said to me 'You are so like your mother' about anything

estergransnet (GNHQ) Wed 07-Mar-18 20:00:32

You might be right, but it wouldn't be Gransnet if we couldn't be honest!

Iam64 Wed 07-Mar-18 20:09:57

My mum was glamorous till two weeks before she died. She was a classic woman who came of age in the late 1930's early 1940's and loved beautiful clothes, good hair, dancing and high heels. She also was a mean gardener, artist and party lover.
I'm not glam but I do like good clothes and gardening. I'm not a romantic, she was. Her grandchildren loved her and rarely misbehaved in her care - I seem to luckily have a similar relationship with my grandchildren.
She taught us to love the day on the basis it would never come again, so there must be something good in it.

DanniRae Wed 07-Mar-18 20:11:15

My mum was, in my opinion, The Best Mum in the World! I hope my children feel the same about me but I wouldn't put money on it!! hmm

Fennel Wed 07-Mar-18 20:36:06

I can't think of any way in which I'm like my mother, apart from my hair. I'm much more like my Dad.
Even so, we were close in her final years, though we got on eachother's nerves a lot.
I'm glad I could be near her at that time, and we managed not to actually fall out.

Anniebach Wed 07-Mar-18 20:47:54

I loved her, she loved me, she was a wonderful mother to the five of us. My three sisters were closer to her but I spent much of my childhood with my Father's extended family, my siblings didn't. I feel some guilt that I loved my fathers sister so very much , even named our first born for her. Yet it was an agreement between my parents and my Aunt that I spent part of my time with them and part with her .

gillybob Wed 07-Mar-18 21:25:20

I often take my dad shopping and on one of our trips he bumped into someone he hadn’t seen for years, who assumed I was my mum ( she died 2 years ago ) . My dad laughed but I was horrified shock it did wonders for my confidence (not )

sodapop Wed 07-Mar-18 21:41:58

My daughter always said she would not say the things I said to her to her own children - then she heard the words coming out of her mouth smile

Grandma70s Wed 07-Mar-18 21:55:46

I look completely different. She was very fair, a solid build (not fat at all). I’m very slim and dark, like my father. She was much more shy than I’ve ever been, but far more practical. She was a brilliant cook. I’m not.

Her interests were very similar to mine - books, poetry, and particularly classical music. She was the better pianist, but I’m the better singer. She was quietly feminist, as I am. She had advanced views for someone born in the first decade of the 20th century, so I never felt being a girl had any disadvantages. I had all the same opportunities as my brother. (My father had these attitudes, too, I’m glad to say.)

We were always good friends, and I very much miss talking to her.

Grandma70s Wed 07-Mar-18 22:13:30

My mother also gave me my love of ballet. How could I forget to mention that? It was a great bond.

paddyann Wed 07-Mar-18 22:19:19

I'm a very strong person as she was,always there for everyone..and I'd give you the shirt off my back if you needed it ..same as she would have .I couldn't be like a better person .