Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What was your last "senior" moment?

(83 Posts)
NanaEm Fri 04-May-18 11:53:34

I was puzzled yesterday when I couldn't get through to my garage on my mobile. I checked the telephone number on my iPad and tried again, the number was correct apart from the fact that the first zero was missing. Penny dropped, I was using the calculator keypad on my mobile !!!

paddyann Fri 04-May-18 12:00:42

Iasked my OH to help me find my specs....not a problem, he said,you're wearing them !

hildajenniJ Fri 04-May-18 12:07:45

Making biscuits this morning, I went to the cupboard for the porrige oats. There were none, I was mystified. Stood for a while wondering what I'd done with them. Then I remembered, I fed them to the birds along with some breadcrumbs and muesli when we had the snow! I had to hastily rethink my biscuits as I'd weighed out most of the ingredients and melted margarine and syrup. Ginger nuts was the result, and very nice they are too.

loopylou Fri 04-May-18 13:25:02

I've traipsed down the garden to the greenhouse three times this morning to bring in the coffee mug I left there yesterday.......each time I have returned without it ??
Little hope I fear!

OldMeg Fri 04-May-18 13:47:10

I don’t have senior moments

OldMeg Fri 04-May-18 13:47:30

OldMeg Fri 04-May-18 13:47:51

Teetime Fri 04-May-18 13:51:49

Just put the wrong label on a parcel to return so had to pay postage. Twit!

ninathenana Fri 04-May-18 13:55:39

Is this a senior moment or just b......
stupid ?
There is a telegraph pole at the end of mine and neighbours shared drive on my far side. It's quiet a tight turn when neighbour is parked. I've lived here 30+ yrs why then did I scrape the rear wing of my car on the pole
@#$& !!!

Situpstraight Fri 04-May-18 14:40:26

Oldmeg I think you’ve just um ...... hmmmm.....sorry, can’t remember what I was going to tell you.

Marydoll Fri 04-May-18 15:23:40

I bought a new mascara at duty free a few weeks ago. Yesterday, I went to get it, but it was nowhere to be seen. I turned the bathroom, upside down, searched make up bag and eventually found the empty box in the bin. However, there was no sign of the mascara.
This morning, I found it in a jewellery box.
Who on earth put it there? ?

Grandma70s Fri 04-May-18 15:31:04

I’ve just had a conversation over lunch with an old friend. We both kept forgetting words, names and so on, but always knew what the other was talking about because we know each other so well. It would have sounded pretty ‘senior’ to anyone listening, but luckily there wasn’t anyone.

ginny Fri 04-May-18 16:00:06

Apologies to those who know this story.
At the end of our cruise last week we had to put our cases out the evening before disembarent. Managed this very efficiently leaving out my travelling clothes. All ready for breakfast next morning only to find I had packed all my shoes. Made a few people smile as Iwandered along the ‘gang plank’ in my little cotton socks.

Charleygirl Fri 04-May-18 16:29:39

I have an Alexa so I am used to asking her questions and giving her commands. I could not understand it when my ordinary alarm clock did not go off the other morning at my command!

annodomini Fri 04-May-18 17:02:36

It took me several weeks to stop saying 'thank you' to Alexa!

hildajenniJ Fri 04-May-18 18:36:59

I still thank Alexa?. I use my Echo Dot as an alarm clock too. It's nice to be able to turn over in bed and say "Alexa, what's the time?" Even in the middle of the night, it saves putting the light on to look at the clock.

Anniebach Fri 04-May-18 18:40:14

Spent ages today looking for catch up tv on my iPad, got cross it had vanished , must have deleted it. Nooo it’s on the tv

Lovetopaint037 Fri 04-May-18 19:37:13

Yes, I have them but cannot remember them!
Oh! Yes. Got out of the shower, then looked for the towel as I padded into bedroom. After a few minutes of frustration I looked down at the towel wrapped around me!

Jalima1108 Fri 04-May-18 20:35:42

On Wednesday.

I saw someone this week and completely muddled her up with another woman I know, asked her if she was going to the U3A meeting, when she looked puzzled I carried on chatting until she said 'I don't think you mean me'.
I know them both and my defence is that they are very similar in looks.
I expect she now thinks I am an idiot or losing the plot. Or both.
blush

lovingit Fri 04-May-18 21:31:54

Entering a store I saw someone I recognised then realised it was a mirror,

Bellanonna Fri 04-May-18 22:12:43

Flashing the car key at the front door, expecting it to open

baubles Sat 05-May-18 09:04:48

I got out of bed the other night to look for my specs, eventually found a pair in a drawer and put them on. On top of the ones I was already wearing!!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 05-May-18 09:11:36

I picked up my mobile phone and expected to change the TV channel with it.

Beacon61 Sat 05-May-18 09:20:15

- me too... and the occasion I did that was when I was forty eight!

Juggernaut Sat 05-May-18 09:40:03

I still thank Alexa, but DH even says please to her!
Last weekend I wondered why I couldn't smell the leg of lamb cooking....could that have been because the lamb was in the main oven and I'd switched the top oven on instead?
When I was about 45, the phone rang at work and I answered the hand held scanner, in front of about thirty peopleblush