Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Spiders!

(36 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Mon 07-May-18 10:27:57

I hate spiders! I have tried all the tricks to keep them out of the house, conkers, sprays - even plug in deterrents, nothing works. Now what is puzzling is that I rarely see an actual spider but every morning I get up to find new spider webs. I can only assume they come out at night to party and then sleep all day!!

Do any GNs have any sure fire way of getting rid of them

Sparklefizz Mon 07-May-18 11:14:26

I am phobic and was very stressed when I had 5 gigantic spiders in one week last autumn. A friend recommended conkers and brought me a bagful which I placed in as many corners as possible - not a spider since. Did you use dozens of conkers in as many corners? Better to go for over-kill (excuse the pun). I know the anti-spider sprays sold tend to contain horse chestnut so I think conkers must work.

Maggiemaybe Mon 07-May-18 11:29:53

Oh dear. I spend so much time telling my DGS that spiders are our friends and we must never hurt them. We must just carry them gently outside to be with their friends. I just hope I’m never called on to do it. smile

Iam64 Mon 07-May-18 11:47:46

Maggiemaybe, I'm with you. I showed my 3 year old grandson how to encourage a daddy long legs into a glass bowl, slide some paper underneath and go into the garden so the spider could live outside happily. He's a bit insect phobic at the moment but enjoyed this experience.
As for big spiders, I find ignoring them works, they scuttle off being rather more scared of me, than I am of them. If I lived somewhere with killer spiders, I'd no doubt behave differently.

ninathenana Mon 07-May-18 14:51:53

I don't like them and have to dispose of them outside using the cup and paper method. When I was still living at hone I would call dad who would scoop them up with his bare hand shock No point in calling H to do that ! DD has the screaming ab-dabs if she sees one.

callgirl1 Mon 07-May-18 15:25:42

I`m another with the screaming ab-dabs!

fumanchu Mon 07-May-18 18:10:39

Me too. There isn't a house big enough for me and a pider. One of us has to die...

Newquay Mon 07-May-18 20:21:36

That's just how I feel fumancho. They have absolutely no business being where I live I feel!
Tomorrow DH and I are going to clear out a shed. Now I KNOW there's a mammoth spider in there cos it all but waves at me when I get the mower out. It's been there a long time so have asked DH to get it out and set it free (in neighbour's garden)-how generous is that? Shudder just thinking about it☹️

Franbern Tue 08-May-18 10:47:10

I am border-line phobic. Was far worse when I was younger. Actually called hubbie home from work one time, when I had a young baby and there was a spider in the kitchen!! If one came anywhere near to me, I would need to have a bath or shower, and change all the clothes I was wearing at the time.
I was determined not to pass this fear on to my children and still say the greatest piece of parenting I carried out is that none of my children (or g.children) are in the slightest phased at seeing spider.
Living by myself I have to cope. Have those long handled things which in which I can trap them and remove to the outside (really do not want to kill them).
Three years ago I heard about conkers, and collect them each autumn and they are all around window cills, door ways, skirting boards, etc. Have not had a spider since then

petra Wed 09-May-18 18:56:49

I only get worried when I can see the whites of their eyes grin
The GC love to see me get hold of those fat brown ones from their web.

Fennel Wed 09-May-18 19:19:13

Leave them alone! I love spiders.
They get rid of the real nasties such as flies bluebottles and worst of all, mosquitoes.
We leave them to live in their webs.

phoenix Wed 09-May-18 19:27:41

Anyone seen "Spider" , lovely cartoon series, with great music, think it was a BBC children's programme. Available on YouTube

Telly Wed 09-May-18 19:30:36

Really dislike them. Have a human remover, not that I actually would get close enough to use it, but it is there. I do have conkers and the spray not sure if they work but we don't get many, considering where we live.

Telly Wed 09-May-18 19:31:10

Err, that should have read humane. But I guess its true that the remover is human, just not me!

SueDonim Wed 09-May-18 19:35:23

Yep, Fumanchu, all spiders must be made DEAD! Well, I can cope with garden spiders and money spiders but that's it.

My Dd had a huge spider in her flat recently. She heard it walking across a poly-pocket when she was filing stuff away! Actually heard it! shock shock

Jalima1108 Wed 09-May-18 19:36:35

Don't kill them - or spray them - just use the humane catcher and put them outside.

They used to frighten me and I have been bitten by a large one (overseas) but I think, after that episode, British spiders no longer frighten me at all.

Jalima1108 Wed 09-May-18 19:37:11

ps not that I would recommend that as a solution!

phoenix Wed 09-May-18 19:48:58

"If you want to live and thrive, let the spider stay alive "

rockgran Wed 09-May-18 19:56:57

I always put spiders outside but I do wonder what happens to them then. Do they feel lost and afraid? Do they miss their family and home? Do they die of the sudden cold or get eaten? They probably just march straight back in. grin

Jalima1108 Wed 09-May-18 19:57:38

They do march straight back in!!
grin

hildajenniJ Wed 09-May-18 20:24:23

I got up from sitting on the sofa. I looked around and to my horror, where I'd been sitting there was a squashed and very dear spider. ??

hildajenniJ Wed 09-May-18 20:25:03

For dear read "dead".

SueDonim Wed 09-May-18 21:54:53

Nope. No humane catchers here. That's too close for comfort. I try to maintain a minimum cordon sanitaire of 100meters round my house, as far as spiders are concerned.

I'll catch and release mice and moths etc, though, so I'm not a total murderer. grin

paddyann Wed 09-May-18 22:00:30

I'm with Fennel I love spiders when my children and GC were small we always gave them names ,we never kill them always take them outside and the kids all learned that the spiders were more frightened of them than they were of spiders.Now the problem is stopping the cat from killing them though we have managed to stop him bringing birds and mice into the house

lemongrove Wed 09-May-18 22:01:29

I once laughed as my DD said she had heard a spider SueD she said it was walking over her books......and it really was! I wish I had hearing like that.