I fancy having a Buddha

NanKate Thu 28-Jun-18 19:39:41

For lots of different personal reasons I fancy having a Buddha in the garden, not the one with the fat belly but more the one with the pointy headdress or similar.

Nothing tacky or made of plastic. Any ideas ?

PamelaJ1 Thu 28-Jun-18 19:45:47

Would this one be big enough?

NanKate Thu 28-Jun-18 19:59:38

Bloomin heck I want something a bit more discreet Pamela 😏

Luckygirl Thu 28-Jun-18 20:24:22

My friend had one in her garden - it got nicked!!!

Iam64 Thu 28-Jun-18 20:29:33

I have a Buddha that lived with mum. I inherited him when we got our parents home ready to sell. He is IMO, beautiful and calm. He lives in my garden 🙏🏿

lemongrove Thu 28-Jun-18 20:32:01

I have seen these in garden centres Nan also on Amazon.
They look good placed within a shrub border, very serene.
Made of reconstituted stone.

mimiro Thu 28-Jun-18 20:41:14

research the buddha,they are different for different meanings
www.reference.com/world-view/meanings-different-buddha-statues-efe9daa0679fed58.
fat buddha isn't actually buddha(siddartha) its believed he was a monk.the above link explains the differences.
buddha should always face east.
it is a religious icon so please be respectful

Gagagran Thu 28-Jun-18 20:42:43

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MSOV04N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?psc=1&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

I have this one in my garden and love him. I can see him through the patio doors as I sit at my desk. He is next to a large old rose tree and often a little bird will perch on his head which is very appealing.

NanKate Thu 28-Jun-18 21:14:00

Yes I will be respectful Mimiro. And thanks Gaga for showing the one from your garden. I want however him to be seated cross legged.

Jane10 Thu 28-Jun-18 21:50:04

I saw a lovely one in Madeira once. I think he had a little mouse on his shoulder that he was smiling at.

Humbertbear Thu 28-Jun-18 21:51:23

My mother always insisted that my father had his first heart attack because she rubbed the tummy of a Buddha!

Greyduster Thu 28-Jun-18 22:12:20

This is mine. I have had him a while. He is a little over two feet high and he is weathering nicely. I can't imagine my garden without him.

callgirl1 Thu 28-Jun-18 22:45:10

Here`s mine, but I think he`s more of a little baby monk. He sits on top of my kitchen worktop, I couldn`t bear to expose him to the elements, I care too much for him.

stella1949 Thu 28-Jun-18 23:31:19

I have a nice little stone Buddha in amongst the plants on my balcony - he makes me feel calm.

HAZBEEN Fri 29-Jun-18 08:38:06

We used to have a beautiful Buddha in our communal garden until some b*****ds or should I say pesky youths(!) threw him through my bedroom window breaking the double glazed window and missing me by 2" at midnight!!

Auntieflo Fri 29-Jun-18 08:52:13

I would quite like a Buddha, but if he were to face east, his back would be towards me, mostly. I do have an Easter Island man's head, peering out from the shrubbery, and he has weathered nicely. He was made for my 50th birthday, and has a hooked nose like my dear old dad used to have.

Teetime Fri 29-Jun-18 09:11:39

I have a large one bought from Homebase the one you describe. My sister bought it home in the passenger seat of her car with a seat belt round it - got some strange looks- when I'm on the I pad later on I will take a photo.

Teetime Fri 29-Jun-18 10:05:13

Its about 2ft 6ins

Teetime Fri 29-Jun-18 10:06:30

Sorry here it is sideways!

henetha Fri 29-Jun-18 10:08:13

There is something comforting about Buddhas. I have three in my living room. Most garden centres seem to sell outdoor ones. I hope you find a lovely, friendly one.

Azie09 Fri 29-Jun-18 10:11:10

I have two Buddhas in the garden and one on the mantelpiece. It possibly helps that I meditate regularly but I find the presence of the statuettes very calming and peaceful. The garden ones are stone and resin (former from a posh garden centre, latter from Homebase) and the house one is wooden.

BoboGran Fri 29-Jun-18 11:13:16

Hello Nan Kat....the pointy headed Buddha tend to come from Thailand and surrounding area and the others from a range of Buddhist countries...they will all symbolise the Teaching of the Buddha which are suitable just for our everyday lives...no need to be a Buddhist. His message is of Love and Compassion and Kindness for ourselves and others.......and i hope he brings that into your life Nan Kat

blueberry1 Fri 29-Jun-18 11:23:45

www.wayfair.co.uk have some nice cross-legged buddhas at reasonable price.

winifred01 Fri 29-Jun-18 11:37:30

I have a granite statue of St Fiacra, patron saint of gardening, he's only little, about 18 ins. Looks after the garden when we are away!

goldengirl Fri 29-Jun-18 11:54:01

I have a small red Buddha in the garden and love him. He always makes me smile. He's on a wall and watches over all the wildlife, smiling serenely. We also have 2 Dogs of Fu which look very fierce and guard the shed! The man who delivered them said he could manage to carry them but our garden is rather long - and it nearly killed him. I think he ended up several inches shorter than when he arrived hmm

Applegran Fri 29-Jun-18 11:55:44

A Buddha has meaning - and is a lovely thing to have in your garden. I am sure you will treat it with respect - and one way to do that is to avoid picking the figure up by its head. I hope you find one you love!

Juggernaut Fri 29-Jun-18 12:01:55

We have a granite Buddha, bought for us as a silver wedding present.
I don't know where ours was from (I suspect it was Grosvenor Garden Centre, Chester) but this is a very similar one from Japangarden.co.uk

Stella14 Fri 29-Jun-18 12:14:11

This is my Buddha. It was my retirement gift from collegues at work. They asked what I wanted. I wanted one and also knew that they came in a wide range of sizes and prices. I love him, but he is made of wood (as I wanted). I oil the wood annually, but I wonder sometimes how long he will last. In Buddhism there is no instruction that a Buddha should face East. I think that may come from Feng Shui, which is completely different. For instance, Feng Shui advises having a Buddha in the house facing the front door to ward off bad things coming into the house (not the task of the Buddha). In Buddhism, it is said that you may wish to place a Buddha beside the front door FACING INTO THE HOUSE as it will remind you as you leave and return home to be mindful and appreciative.

Coco51 Fri 29-Jun-18 12:17:50

Lot’s of garden centres have stoneware buddhas. We’ve had ours for years. One time he was pale gold but now he’s a tasteful bronze!

sluttygran Fri 29-Jun-18 12:26:33

I have my own personal Buddha, my darling little GS age 9 months. He is so round and chubby, and is definitely a Buddha - lookalike! smile

marionk Fri 29-Jun-18 12:33:22

I was told that the thin Buddha is his real appearance, but because he was so attractive to the ladies he chose to be seen in his fat character so that he did not distract them 😮

Craftycat Fri 29-Jun-18 13:32:55

I have 2 by a small pond which has no fish but several small potted acers over hanging it. I thought it needed something to give it a bit of interest. One is seated & the other dancing but they do both have round tummies so not what you want.
I love them & touch their heads, tummies & feet every morning when I go past to feed fish in bigger pond. Very calming.

yggdrasil Fri 29-Jun-18 14:50:25

shop.sueryder.org/sitting-meditating-buddha.html

do some good with the purchase :-)

Nonnatimesfour Fri 29-Jun-18 14:55:38

I thought I might like a Buddha, but being a Christian I wondered if this was o.k.?

Anniebach Fri 29-Jun-18 15:28:59

Nonnatimes, whilst buddhaism preaches love it does not accept God as the creator and believes Christ had lived previous lives

pheasant75 Fri 29-Jun-18 17:50:12

Hi I have designed and constructed 3 oriental gardens all have Buddhas my own Chinese garden has 3 if you would like pictures of the gardens let me know and will send picture so the 3 gardens retired now so energy is less LOL

lilypollen Fri 29-Jun-18 18:10:47

I've had a 14" high garden one for 16 years and do feel calm when I look at it. I assumed that it should face east so interesting that isn't the case. I have several small ones around the house but not in the bedroom, that is a definite no-no!

Elrel Fri 29-Jun-18 18:12:01

I was told that the figure with the tummy is Ho Tai, you rub his tummy for good luck. He is known as 'The Laughing Buddha' and brings wealth and joy. When you have enjoyed his blessings you pass him on to someone who needs him more which is a lovely thought.
My Buddha is a small wooden reclining Buddha which GS gave me after a visit to Sri Lanka. He gives me a sense of peace and of the impermanence of life.

Opelessgran15 Fri 29-Jun-18 20:45:50

The Range do this lovely meditating Buddha water feature. I love mine.

queenie68 Fri 29-Jun-18 21:00:47

I was always told that a Buddha needs to be gifted rather than bought and luckily my mum and I fell in love with the same one and so I bought hers and she mine. I have a few scattered round the house but would also love one for my garden think I will have to give my son a few hints for a Christmas present 🎁
I do find them very relaxing

callgirl1 Fri 29-Jun-18 21:12:30

Mine was a Mothers Day present from my daughter last year, after I fell in love with him in B&Q. She hates him!

annep Fri 29-Jun-18 21:13:27

I didn't realise the fat laughing one wasn't real Buddha. That's the one we have amidst the ferns and undergrowth at the bottom of the garden. But its cheerful. We like it. I quite like the Buddhist philosophy ( what I know of it).

NanKate Sat 30-Jun-18 07:02:14

Thank you for all your helpful replies and photos. When I find the one I want I will get DH to buy it for me. I think I will know when I find the right Buddha or perhaps the Buddha will find me.

I too am a Christian but I like to embrace a variety of faiths.

maddy629 Sat 30-Jun-18 07:40:56

The pointy headdress is actually his head covered in snails. The story goes that the Lord Buddha was meditating and the sun was very strong and so the snails climbed up on to his head to protect him from the sun.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 30-Jun-18 09:33:55

My husband was given a gold coloured Buddha's head by a colleague who was a Buddhist, and she told him that such sculptures should be gifted, not bought by yourself. Personally I have a Green Man in my garden, in the hope that he will protect and encourage my plants!

Katek Sat 30-Jun-18 14:43:24

This is my little Buddha- can see him all the time from the sunroom window.

annep Sat 30-Jun-18 19:01:47

Katek love your Buddha. Haven't seen that one before.

Katek Sat 30-Jun-18 20:52:02

Thanks annep, dh bought him for me at a small garden centre when he took his father out one day.

etheltbags1 Sat 30-Jun-18 21:23:35

I've got a lovely bronze one in my garden. I have tripped up on him a few times he's a pest

Rosiebee Sun 01-Jul-18 00:12:57

When we were in Thailand, we were told by a guide that it was disrespectful to have
a Budda statue as an ornament. I thought this was quite a strict view but we also saw billboards with the same message. Maybe it's the equivalent of someone with a different faith having a statue of Jesus in their garden. I don't know but it made me think enough not to buy one as a souvenir.

NfkDumpling Sun 01-Jul-18 06:28:33

My Buddha faces south. With a touch of east. I was told either east or south in the northern hemisphere for the sun rising or high, never towards the setting or dying sun. I do talk to him when I pass. He’s made of concrete though so is slowly loosing his features. Perhaps my job for today should be to clean up my Buddha.

I was given another small one which I put outside not realising he was frost tender and he sort of disintegrated! DH threw him away which was probably terribly bad luck - but he’s an atheist who doesn’t believe in luck!

Theoddbird Sun 01-Jul-18 14:00:02

I have s lovely one on top of my narrow boat among the lavender plants. I bought it at a folk festival. It is very heavy.

NanKate Mon 02-Jul-18 06:48:30

What a lovely idea Theo a travelling Buddha.

Although we have ‘t yet found our Buddha, I have had great pleasure reading about yours and looking at your photos.

Mine will appear I just have to be patient.

varian Mon 02-Jul-18 20:16:26

Depending on the size of a Buddha, you might think about elevating it. Ideally you should look up to the buddha.

NotSpaghetti Tue 03-Jul-18 08:47:56

I think the “pointy hat” is actually a snail cluster....
Like varian, I think the statue should be high-up. My father told me never to have a Buddha you don’t have to look up to. He said they must be above eye-level out of respect. If you want one in your garden you could put the statue on a tall column maybe?

Have just read this online:
The location of any Buddha statue should always be a place of reverence, which means a position above eye level, to avoid looking down on them.
Regardless of the place you intend to set the Buddha statues, in the house or garden, there are few rules that should be followed.
Avoid placing the Buddha statue in the bathroom, kitchen or any other inappropriate place.
Never place a Buddha statue where someone can point at it with their feet or fingers.
Never place objects taller or larger than the Buddha statue close by, such as the refrigerator, wardrobe etc.
Buddha Statues should be placed away from objects of daily use such as towels, rags, handkerchiefs, napkins, cleaning item etc.

Here’s a link to some of the meanings of the different poses:
www.thebuddhagarden.com/buddha-poses.html

Hope you find something just perfect.

Nonnatimesfour Tue 03-Jul-18 16:10:47

Thank you Anniebach.

Nonnatimesfour Tue 03-Jul-18 16:13:50

NanKate, Yes I know what you mean about embracing other faiths and still being a Christian.

NanKate Fri 03-Aug-18 07:21:38

Well my Buddha has arrived from Germany. He is an early birthday present for next month but I want him in place immediately.

I took the helpful advice from here and have chosen a Thai Buddha with. Slim face, a snail headress, sash over his shoulder and flower decorations on his clothes.

DH is giving him a spruce up with a toothbrush as he was very dirty on arrival. I have a place set up for him on the obsolete BBQ so I can see/feel his calming vibes whilst sitting in my little office.

Liz46 Fri 03-Aug-18 07:32:21

You have brought back memories of our visit to The Grand Palace in Bangkok. I went into the meditation room and the sense of peace was amazing and I could have just stayed there enjoying it but my OH did not feel the same!

NanKate Mon 06-Aug-18 11:19:39

Some of us can Liz and some of us can’t. My Buddha has settled in well. No doubt my two GSs will be checking him out later today.

solotiger98 Sun 23-Jun-19 16:04:10

Suggested site with large attractive Buddha statues without being too expensive or heavy. www.homegiftsgarden.com/collections/garden-statues

Anniebach Sun 23-Jun-19 17:05:33

If one believes in The Ten Commandments a Buddha is out

callgirl1 Sun 23-Jun-19 17:25:24

I don`t have mine for any religious reason, I just fell in love with him.

Anniebach Sun 23-Jun-19 17:27:59

I respect people choice, but a Buddha is a God

Whitewavemark2 Sun 23-Jun-19 17:33:02

I have one on the edge of the pond - Yin and Yang is the idea. He’s so old he has lichen all over him.

pinkquartz Sun 23-Jun-19 18:04:15

Buddha is not a God. He is an enlightened being. I believe that anyone can enjoy having a Buddha statue, you do not have to be a Buddhist to meditate and to believe In compassion and Kindness.

Anniebach Sun 23-Jun-19 18:42:03

Then I should have said Gods or Idols ?

Day6 Sun 23-Jun-19 19:00:35

I mentioned I'd like a Buddha so OH surprised me and bought a carved wooden one, with a big tummy and a happy smile. He sits, slightly hidden, amongst the plants in the conservatory.

Day6 Sun 23-Jun-19 19:10:09

I was told that the figure with the tummy is Ho Tai, you rub his tummy for good luck. He is known as 'The Laughing Buddha' and brings wealth and joy.

Ah, thank you Elrel. I shall be doing that frequently from now on! grin I am blessed to have joy in my life, but the wealth would make a welcome change! smile

Ngaio1 Sun 23-Jun-19 19:13:11

I bought a dear little one from Poundland. Great buy!

Nanna58 Tue 25-Jun-19 11:40:40

Love my Buddha by my pond. Jane10 I saw the one with the mouse in Madeira, it was sweet.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Jun-19 12:18:48

I think his hair is curly, not composed of snails😄😄😄😄. He cut his hair after achieving enlightenment I think.

Jane10 Tue 25-Jun-19 12:28:36

I saw a beautiful antique porcelain Buddha ornament on holiday. It was a lovely laughing one with 7 little children climbing on him. Hmmm. Sounds a bit creepy but it wasn't really. I'd love to have bought it but it was £1900!

pinkquartz Tue 25-Jun-19 13:25:29

I think the Buddha had curly hair to represent his noble birth but also it might be curled up snakes or snake heads as I think there is a story about the snake king protecting Buddha while he meditated under the Bodhi tree.
My memory is not too good.
I was thinking of buying a book about Buddha statues as I have four around my home and garden and I love them all. They are all very different to each other.
I have never heard about them needing to face a certain direction....I just want to see their beautiful faces when I am looking at them.

Anniebach.....I don't think of the Buddha as a god or an idol.

paddyann Tue 25-Jun-19 13:30:35

I've had mine for about 30 years ,bought in an Asian shop in Glasgow's West end . He sits on a chinese cabinet and had four copper candle cups in front of him ,usually lit candles, though I've to be careful of the kittens. He faces N/E .We're friends with a couple of ministers of the C of Scotland and neither has ever complained about our Buddha ,he's just a part of our lives.My oldest GD loved him so much she rubbed his tummy every time she walked past him.

Gonegirl Tue 25-Jun-19 13:33:49

If you have a buddha at all, it's got to be like this one. Anything else is fake. wink

Gonegirl Tue 25-Jun-19 13:35:20

There was a prominent buddha in a holiday cottage we had once. I put him in a corner where I couldn't see it. Ghastly things. shock

Gonegirl Tue 25-Jun-19 13:36:21

Definitely a God. Is it Sikh? confused

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Jun-19 13:37:29

gonegirl 😄😄why Sikh?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Jun-19 13:39:26

No!! He cut his hair and it went curly. Nothing else.

Aren’t Christians supposed to be inclusive these days?

Gonegirl Tue 25-Jun-19 13:40:56

I dunno WW.

it's a religion in itself

Gonegirl Tue 25-Jun-19 13:42:01

I got it out of thin air didn't I WW!

Gonegirl Tue 25-Jun-19 13:42:51

Apparently Sikhs don't have any images.

Who knew?

quizqueen Tue 25-Jun-19 13:46:50

Don't forget, if you have a Buddha, you won't be able to kill any insects etc. in the garden or you may come back reincarnated as one!!!

Day6 Tue 25-Jun-19 13:52:42

Eeek. I swatted a horrible big bluebottle in the conservatory the other day, right in front of my laughing Buddha. I try not to kill anything except bluebottles. (I leave the greenfly on plants and slugs in the garden for OH to sort out.)

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Jun-19 13:55:55

gg 😄😄

Anniebach Tue 25-Jun-19 14:03:18

Inclusive Whitewave ? Do you mean respecting other faiths or sharing of beliefs?

I respect the JW’s faith I certainly do not share their beliefs

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Jun-19 14:17:20

Isn’t it all one deity worshipped in different ways?

Gonegirl Tue 25-Jun-19 14:22:16

Who knows? Probably not. I don't think Allah is the sAME AS THE cHRISTIAN gOD.

bUT i HAVE ALREADY PROVED HOW MUCH LITTLE i KNOW ABOUT IT.

Gonegirl Tue 25-Jun-19 14:23:05

shock shock shock

Sorreeeee!!! caps lock on And off. hmm

Anniebach Tue 25-Jun-19 14:24:30

Christian = follower of Christ

Gonegirl Tue 25-Jun-19 14:24:43

This thread title sounds downright rude. Shame on you Nankate! shock

#fantasiesareprivate

paddyann Tue 25-Jun-19 15:35:52

they're all fairytales so I wouldn't worry about it Gonegirlat least Buddhists stick to being peace loving kind hearted people unlike many other religions who think going to church once a week gives them license to do all sorts of awful things.

pinkquartz Tue 25-Jun-19 15:40:26

Sadly I used to have a good friend who was a Jehovah Witness and she stopped coming to see me because her church told her that they were Satanic Devils.
I missed her as a friend but really a Buddha is not Satanic or a God.

paddyann, I think the ones with the fat belly are Chinese.....all the different ones have their own charm I think. I am pleased that your church is more open minded. A Buddha is no threat to anyone's way of thinking or belief system

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Jun-19 16:07:02

Buddhist follower of Buddha

Hindu follower of all sorts of interesting gods or avatars of the supreme being

Muslim follower of the same god as Christians and Jews

Jews follower of the same god as Muslims and Christians.

Lots of others, but they all largely believe in a supreme deity, except those believing in ancestors etc.

So I believe that the almighty being is the same being but worshipped differently according to particular cultures.

Gonegirl Tue 25-Jun-19 16:09:06

So long as you don't include Jesus because then it gets messy.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Jun-19 16:12:30

Why?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Jun-19 16:16:25

Jesus and Muhammad were both prophets, and gave rise to the founding of different belief streams with allah or god bring the supreme deity.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Jun-19 16:17:23

Being

Gonegirl Tue 25-Jun-19 16:18:57

Because Jesus was the son of God, part of the Trinity. To Muslims he was merely a prophet.