Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I fancy having a Buddha

(128 Posts)
NanKate Thu 28-Jun-18 19:39:41

For lots of different personal reasons I fancy having a Buddha in the garden, not the one with the fat belly but more the one with the pointy headdress or similar.

Nothing tacky or made of plastic. Any ideas ?

PamelaJ1 Thu 28-Jun-18 19:45:47

Would this one be big enough?

NanKate Thu 28-Jun-18 19:59:38

Bloomin heck I want something a bit more discreet Pamela ?

Luckygirl Thu 28-Jun-18 20:24:22

My friend had one in her garden - it got nicked!!!

Iam64 Thu 28-Jun-18 20:29:33

I have a Buddha that lived with mum. I inherited him when we got our parents home ready to sell. He is IMO, beautiful and calm. He lives in my garden ??

lemongrove Thu 28-Jun-18 20:32:01

I have seen these in garden centres Nan also on Amazon.
They look good placed within a shrub border, very serene.
Made of reconstituted stone.

mimiro Thu 28-Jun-18 20:41:14

research the buddha,they are different for different meanings
www.reference.com/world-view/meanings-different-buddha-statues-efe9daa0679fed58.
fat buddha isn't actually buddha(siddartha) its believed he was a monk.the above link explains the differences.
buddha should always face east.
it is a religious icon so please be respectful

Gagagran Thu 28-Jun-18 20:42:43

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MSOV04N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?psc=1&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

I have this one in my garden and love him. I can see him through the patio doors as I sit at my desk. He is next to a large old rose tree and often a little bird will perch on his head which is very appealing.

NanKate Thu 28-Jun-18 21:14:00

Yes I will be respectful Mimiro. And thanks Gaga for showing the one from your garden. I want however him to be seated cross legged.

Jane10 Thu 28-Jun-18 21:50:04

I saw a lovely one in Madeira once. I think he had a little mouse on his shoulder that he was smiling at.

Humbertbear Thu 28-Jun-18 21:51:23

My mother always insisted that my father had his first heart attack because she rubbed the tummy of a Buddha!

Greyduster Thu 28-Jun-18 22:12:20

This is mine. I have had him a while. He is a little over two feet high and he is weathering nicely. I can't imagine my garden without him.

callgirl1 Thu 28-Jun-18 22:45:10

Here`s mine, but I think he`s more of a little baby monk. He sits on top of my kitchen worktop, I couldn`t bear to expose him to the elements, I care too much for him.

stella1949 Thu 28-Jun-18 23:31:19

I have a nice little stone Buddha in amongst the plants on my balcony - he makes me feel calm.

HAZBEEN Fri 29-Jun-18 08:38:06

We used to have a beautiful Buddha in our communal garden until some b*****ds or should I say pesky youths(!) threw him through my bedroom window breaking the double glazed window and missing me by 2" at midnight!!

Auntieflo Fri 29-Jun-18 08:52:13

I would quite like a Buddha, but if he were to face east, his back would be towards me, mostly. I do have an Easter Island man's head, peering out from the shrubbery, and he has weathered nicely. He was made for my 50th birthday, and has a hooked nose like my dear old dad used to have.

Teetime Fri 29-Jun-18 09:11:39

I have a large one bought from Homebase the one you describe. My sister bought it home in the passenger seat of her car with a seat belt round it - got some strange looks- when I'm on the I pad later on I will take a photo.

Teetime Fri 29-Jun-18 10:05:13

Its about 2ft 6ins

Teetime Fri 29-Jun-18 10:06:30

Sorry here it is sideways!

henetha Fri 29-Jun-18 10:08:13

There is something comforting about Buddhas. I have three in my living room. Most garden centres seem to sell outdoor ones. I hope you find a lovely, friendly one.

Azie09 Fri 29-Jun-18 10:11:10

I have two Buddhas in the garden and one on the mantelpiece. It possibly helps that I meditate regularly but I find the presence of the statuettes very calming and peaceful. The garden ones are stone and resin (former from a posh garden centre, latter from Homebase) and the house one is wooden.

BoboGran Fri 29-Jun-18 11:13:16

Hello Nan Kat....the pointy headed Buddha tend to come from Thailand and surrounding area and the others from a range of Buddhist countries...they will all symbolise the Teaching of the Buddha which are suitable just for our everyday lives...no need to be a Buddhist. His message is of Love and Compassion and Kindness for ourselves and others.......and i hope he brings that into your life Nan Kat

blueberry1 Fri 29-Jun-18 11:23:45

www.wayfair.co.uk have some nice cross-legged buddhas at reasonable price.

winifred01 Fri 29-Jun-18 11:37:30

I have a granite statue of St Fiacra, patron saint of gardening, he's only little, about 18 ins. Looks after the garden when we are away!

goldengirl Fri 29-Jun-18 11:54:01

I have a small red Buddha in the garden and love him. He always makes me smile. He's on a wall and watches over all the wildlife, smiling serenely. We also have 2 Dogs of Fu which look very fierce and guard the shed! The man who delivered them said he could manage to carry them but our garden is rather long - and it nearly killed him. I think he ended up several inches shorter than when he arrived hmm