Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I fancy having a Buddha

(129 Posts)
NanKate Thu 28-Jun-18 19:39:41

For lots of different personal reasons I fancy having a Buddha in the garden, not the one with the fat belly but more the one with the pointy headdress or similar.

Nothing tacky or made of plastic. Any ideas ?

Applegran Fri 29-Jun-18 11:55:44

A Buddha has meaning - and is a lovely thing to have in your garden. I am sure you will treat it with respect - and one way to do that is to avoid picking the figure up by its head. I hope you find one you love!

Juggernaut Fri 29-Jun-18 12:01:55

We have a granite Buddha, bought for us as a silver wedding present.
I don't know where ours was from (I suspect it was Grosvenor Garden Centre, Chester) but this is a very similar one from Japangarden.co.uk

Stella14 Fri 29-Jun-18 12:14:11

This is my Buddha. It was my retirement gift from collegues at work. They asked what I wanted. I wanted one and also knew that they came in a wide range of sizes and prices. I love him, but he is made of wood (as I wanted). I oil the wood annually, but I wonder sometimes how long he will last. In Buddhism there is no instruction that a Buddha should face East. I think that may come from Feng Shui, which is completely different. For instance, Feng Shui advises having a Buddha in the house facing the front door to ward off bad things coming into the house (not the task of the Buddha). In Buddhism, it is said that you may wish to place a Buddha beside the front door FACING INTO THE HOUSE as it will remind you as you leave and return home to be mindful and appreciative.

Coco51 Fri 29-Jun-18 12:17:50

Lot’s of garden centres have stoneware buddhas. We’ve had ours for years. One time he was pale gold but now he’s a tasteful bronze!

sluttygran Fri 29-Jun-18 12:26:33

I have my own personal Buddha, my darling little GS age 9 months. He is so round and chubby, and is definitely a Buddha - lookalike! smile

marionk Fri 29-Jun-18 12:33:22

I was told that the thin Buddha is his real appearance, but because he was so attractive to the ladies he chose to be seen in his fat character so that he did not distract them ?

Craftycat Fri 29-Jun-18 13:32:55

I have 2 by a small pond which has no fish but several small potted acers over hanging it. I thought it needed something to give it a bit of interest. One is seated & the other dancing but they do both have round tummies so not what you want.
I love them & touch their heads, tummies & feet every morning when I go past to feed fish in bigger pond. Very calming.

yggdrasil Fri 29-Jun-18 14:50:25

shop.sueryder.org/sitting-meditating-buddha.html

do some good with the purchase :-)

Nonnatimesfour Fri 29-Jun-18 14:55:38

I thought I might like a Buddha, but being a Christian I wondered if this was o.k.?

Anniebach Fri 29-Jun-18 15:28:59

Nonnatimes, whilst buddhaism preaches love it does not accept God as the creator and believes Christ had lived previous lives

pheasant75 Fri 29-Jun-18 17:50:12

Hi I have designed and constructed 3 oriental gardens all have Buddhas my own Chinese garden has 3 if you would like pictures of the gardens let me know and will send picture so the 3 gardens retired now so energy is less LOL

lilypollen Fri 29-Jun-18 18:10:47

I've had a 14" high garden one for 16 years and do feel calm when I look at it. I assumed that it should face east so interesting that isn't the case. I have several small ones around the house but not in the bedroom, that is a definite no-no!

Elrel Fri 29-Jun-18 18:12:01

I was told that the figure with the tummy is Ho Tai, you rub his tummy for good luck. He is known as 'The Laughing Buddha' and brings wealth and joy. When you have enjoyed his blessings you pass him on to someone who needs him more which is a lovely thought.
My Buddha is a small wooden reclining Buddha which GS gave me after a visit to Sri Lanka. He gives me a sense of peace and of the impermanence of life.

Opelessgran15 Fri 29-Jun-18 20:45:50

The Range do this lovely meditating Buddha water feature. I love mine.

queenie68 Fri 29-Jun-18 21:00:47

I was always told that a Buddha needs to be gifted rather than bought and luckily my mum and I fell in love with the same one and so I bought hers and she mine. I have a few scattered round the house but would also love one for my garden think I will have to give my son a few hints for a Christmas present ?
I do find them very relaxing

callgirl1 Fri 29-Jun-18 21:12:30

Mine was a Mothers Day present from my daughter last year, after I fell in love with him in B&Q. She hates him!

annep Fri 29-Jun-18 21:13:27

I didn't realise the fat laughing one wasn't real Buddha. That's the one we have amidst the ferns and undergrowth at the bottom of the garden. But its cheerful. We like it. I quite like the Buddhist philosophy ( what I know of it).

NanKate Sat 30-Jun-18 07:02:14

Thank you for all your helpful replies and photos. When I find the one I want I will get DH to buy it for me. I think I will know when I find the right Buddha or perhaps the Buddha will find me.

I too am a Christian but I like to embrace a variety of faiths.

maddy629 Sat 30-Jun-18 07:40:56

The pointy headdress is actually his head covered in snails. The story goes that the Lord Buddha was meditating and the sun was very strong and so the snails climbed up on to his head to protect him from the sun.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 30-Jun-18 09:33:55

My husband was given a gold coloured Buddha's head by a colleague who was a Buddhist, and she told him that such sculptures should be gifted, not bought by yourself. Personally I have a Green Man in my garden, in the hope that he will protect and encourage my plants!

Katek Sat 30-Jun-18 14:43:24

This is my little Buddha- can see him all the time from the sunroom window.

annep Sat 30-Jun-18 19:01:47

Katek love your Buddha. Haven't seen that one before.

Katek Sat 30-Jun-18 20:52:02

Thanks annep, dh bought him for me at a small garden centre when he took his father out one day.

etheltbags1 Sat 30-Jun-18 21:23:35

I've got a lovely bronze one in my garden. I have tripped up on him a few times he's a pest

Rosiebee Sun 01-Jul-18 00:12:57

When we were in Thailand, we were told by a guide that it was disrespectful to have
a Budda statue as an ornament. I thought this was quite a strict view but we also saw billboards with the same message. Maybe it's the equivalent of someone with a different faith having a statue of Jesus in their garden. I don't know but it made me think enough not to buy one as a souvenir.