Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I'm slightly spooked - can anyone explain this?

(41 Posts)
kittylester Tue 24-Jul-18 11:48:04

DH has been out in his car this morning and when he came back asked me if I'd left my car windows open on purpose.

We last used the car yesterday afternoon, DH driving, and used the air conditioning (obviously!) so the windows weren't opened at all. The car has remained on the drive all morning.

The windows were all open to the same level - 4 inches or so - and nothing in the car had been touched. Though who would want half a packet of Foxes Glacier Mints I don't know.

We have had this happen before and my binoculars (free from NT) were stolen.

The reason it has spooked me is that we have had a couple of burglaries on this road recently.

And, I'd prefer it if it was DH's car that was stolen! grin

grannyactivist Tue 24-Jul-18 11:58:52

No explanation here I'm afraid, but I would phone the local police, explain about your windows being down and ask if they know of any cars being stolen locally last night.

MawBroon Tue 24-Jul-18 12:02:54

When I lock my car the fob is also meant to close any windows I have forgotten to shut.
Just occasionally it has done the opposite and I have found the windows open about 2”
Just keep an eye on it.
Sadly any half competent casual thief can have any car open in under a minute (according to burglar alarm engineer the other day) and an incompetent one will lob half a brick through a window.

glammanana Tue 24-Jul-18 12:09:12

kittylester Just make sure nothing is on view in your car (even mints) you would be surprised what people will try to steal for no apparent reason.
I would certainly notify your local Community Police Officer of your concerns.

Luckygirl Tue 24-Jul-18 12:10:43

Some remotes have a means to open your car windows remotely - I have no idea what the purpose of this is, but OH sometimes likes to do it as we approach the car for some reason. Maybe there is a similar facility on your remote that you have inadvertently pressed.

Teacheranne Tue 24-Jul-18 12:13:35

I have no idea how this might have happened and agree I would be uneasy too. However, a burglar would not bother opening all the windows, just the one they used to break in so I suggest it is an electrical fault on the car.

I left my patio door wide open last night - I only noticed when I saw some fox poo on my hall floor!

SueDonim Tue 24-Jul-18 12:31:53

There is some mechanism whereby you can open/close windows remotely, on some cars. I wonder if you've got that and accidentally triggered it?

When I got my new car it had all sorts of gizmos I had no idea I was getting, including parking itself!!

Willow500 Tue 24-Jul-18 12:48:20

I agree this sounds more like a technical issue than an attempted break in if they were all open the same amount - some car windows open slightly when the door is closed to let the air out - or something like that. You could try looking in the manual to see if yours does it.

A few months ago we were clearing out the garage and put a lot of rubbish in the back of the car to go to the tip the next day - when my husband went out to the car he found the back door unlocked - someone had gone in there and taken the halogen oven that was in there - hope they burned their sausages in it - it was broken grin

kittylester Tue 24-Jul-18 16:58:02

The car doesn't have remote window opening and I've had it over 3 years so I doubt it was anything we did.

When it was broken into previously the burglars used one of those remotes that they sort of bounce your own signal to theirs from outside.outside.

SueDomin we are looking at replacing my car and wondered whether a car that parks itself would be a good idea - what do you think?

MawBroon Tue 24-Jul-18 17:24:50

But if it doesn’t have remote window opening, how could potential thieves have done it?

cornergran Tue 24-Jul-18 17:36:03

Our previous car didn’t have remote window opening but if the lock and unlock buttons were pressed together the windows opened. Happened once with the fob in Mr C’s pocket. The garage explained it was a known oddity with that make/model of car, not all just the lucky few hmm. Might be worth messing with the key fob kitty and see if you can make it happen.

OldMeg Tue 24-Jul-18 17:37:00

Or both windows be open at same level?

kittylester Tue 24-Jul-18 17:42:23

Or all four! I'll try that when DH gets home with it!

Jane10 Tue 24-Jul-18 17:43:07

DH had a car that happened to repeatedly. The garage never managed to fix it as it was one of those 'intermittent faults'. The car was an Audi fyi.

NotAGran55 Tue 24-Jul-18 18:08:10

My last mini had ‘global opening’ - all windows and sunroof together - designed to ventilate it quickly. I can’t remember how it worked but it was activated by the key fob and I discovered it by accident.

It was explained in the hand book . Have you checked your book or googled for an answer ?

Riggie Tue 24-Jul-18 18:38:07

My key fob was behaving oddly in the heat yesterday so maybe the Ops did too!!

BlueBelle Tue 24-Jul-18 18:49:52

The fact that they were all opened at exactly the same distance tells you it was technical no thief is going to go round all four windows checking they are opened to the same level

winterwhite Tue 24-Jul-18 19:39:14

Obviously Alexa at work grin

SueDonim Tue 24-Jul-18 20:29:34

Kittylester auto-parking is handy but it's not a deal-breaker for me. I'm in fact currently looking at a new car and that doesn't have it.

However, I don't find parking too difficult anyway. If you struggle to park or have physical difficulties that make it awkward then it would be a boon. It isn't failsafe though. Sometimes mine just gives up and says 'Parking manoeuvre ended prematurely.' Then you're on your own! grin

Googoogoo1 Tue 24-Jul-18 20:36:08

I would consider the electronics of the car. I recall we used to have a vehicle where the windows opened by their selves!!! Particularly as they were all the same distance open.

kittylester Tue 24-Jul-18 21:05:03

Thank you Sue.

Thanks all for your input.

MamaCaz Tue 24-Jul-18 21:26:46

I seem to remember something similar happening a couple of times with my late dad's car too (a Seat). For the life of me, I can't remember exactly what eventually turned out to have caused it, but think it was something like cornergran described, where the key fob was in his pocket, and buttons on it were accidentally pressed.

M0nica Wed 25-Jul-18 07:38:55

Could be the heat and something overheating. We once had a house burglar alarm that went off without warning and wouldn't stop and when the repair man arrived he said one component had expanded in the summer heat (like now) and touched something else.

Teetime Wed 25-Jul-18 09:04:12

DHs last car had what I can only describe as window slip. We would often get in the car and the back window would be open.

Iam64 Wed 25-Jul-18 09:20:53

kitty, this has happened with my car several times in recent months. I keep meaning to take it into the garage, then it behaves properly for a few weeks and I don't bother..... I don't think its gremlins, its some kind of electrical fault. My fear is when I do take it in, there will be lots of money needed to pay the bill.