Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Psychic children?

(57 Posts)
Telly Mon 27-Aug-18 17:32:27

There is an online article today, think started by a thread on MN, about things children say and do that seem to be psychic or odd. My GS was about 2 when he suddenly said 'You used to be Nanny E!'. This took be back as Nanny E was my great grandmother who died in 1925. My own mother used to run errands for her. There is no way he could have known her name. Odd or what?

Telly Mon 27-Aug-18 17:32:55

me, should read took me back

Elegran Mon 27-Aug-18 18:10:38

William Wordsworth knew about it.
"Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy!
Shades of the prison-house begin to close
Upon the growing Boy,
But he beholds the light, and whence it flows,
He sees it in his joy;
The Youth, who daily farther from the east
Must travel, still is Nature's Priest,
And by the vision splendid
Is on his way attended;
At length the Man perceives it die away,
And fade into the light of common day. "
Intimations of Immortality from the Recollections of Early Childhood

Willow500 Mon 27-Aug-18 18:42:01

Many years ago as a young child of about 6 or 7 I was taken to a stately home not far from where we then lived. As I walked down the long hall I 'knew' that the room at the end of it had a very tall window and could see myself standing at it in a blue crinoline type gown looking down onto the garden and the drive. Sure enough when we got there the scene was exactly what I'd 'seen'. I'd never been there before or seen anything about the house - this was the 1950's so no TV documentaries or colour television back then. To this day I've no idea what that was about but like to think maybe I lived there in a former life. My husband knows I'd like my ashes to be scattered in the grounds but reckons he'll have to put them down his trousers and scatter them around secretly grin

TillyWhiz Tue 28-Aug-18 09:28:08

Willow500 - thank you for that picture of your husband, made me chuckle so much over breakfast!

Theoddbird Tue 28-Aug-18 09:32:18

My son (now 39) was two when he said... ' of course, when you die, you come back as another baby'.

sluttygran Tue 28-Aug-18 09:34:58

When DGD was three, she would run into the spare bedroom of the big old house where I was living then, and say ‘Hello Nanty’, all the while looking very happy.
The lady next door told me some time afterwards that her neighbours had always referred to their Aunt’s grandmother as ‘Nanty’, and that the dear old lady had lived with them until her death age 102!
It made me feel
A bit shivery, but judging by DGD’s reaction, Nanty - if that’s who she was greeting - must have been a very good sort of person!

Bobdoesit Tue 28-Aug-18 09:40:53

Our little granddaughter Lilly often comes out with odd things. She was born in Australia, and her first trip to England came when she was just three years old (she is six now). It was Christmas time, and we were all going up to London by train to see the lights. We took along all sorts of colouring books and other bits and bobs to keep her occupied on the train, and indeed she was happily ‘colouring in’ when for no apparent reason she looked up and looking out of the carriage window said: “that is the house where I used to live”. The adults all looked at one another and then her mummy said: “when was that Lilly?” Lilly looked up as if she was about to reply but then she simply shook her head and went back to her colouring. It was a very strange moment, but we all let it pass and only talked about it when she was asleep that evening. We’ve never drawn any conclusions from it, but it did leave us all puzzling.

Harris27 Tue 28-Aug-18 09:41:52

Definitely something in this children are more receptive I can remember my grandson under a year waving to the corner of the room and giggling his maternal grandad had died months before my daughters law swears it was her dad he was waving to.years later he said he used to see a man waving at him in his room and when shown pictures of his maternal grandfather said it was him.

Tamayra Tue 28-Aug-18 09:41:53

My Granson was 2yrs sitting on my lap as I sang him a lullaby before bed
He said “There’s a lady behind you G’ma she all pink & she has wings’
The lullaby was about the rose of love !

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 28-Aug-18 09:55:52

Oh Willow that reminds me of The Great Escape!

inishowen Tue 28-Aug-18 09:57:10

When my granddaughter was around 3 or 4 she had two invisible friends called Tom and Lily. She talked to them constantly and would often squirm, saying Tom had hit her. She didn't like him at all. Her mum had had five miscarriages and she believed they were spirits of the babies she'd lost. I don't know about that. Once my granddaughter started school the "friends" disappeared. One day I asked where they were. She said "we decided we had very busy lives now, so we hadn't time to stay friends". I thought this sounded like a very grown up response.

moobox Tue 28-Aug-18 10:01:41

Willow500, I hope he is preparing his own ashes
challenge for his, in case he goes first.

gillgran Tue 28-Aug-18 10:11:54

Willow500, my son says he will have to do that for us, (just as in the Great Escape..!!

SillyNanny321 Tue 28-Aug-18 10:16:22

When my son was very young about 18months old he would sit on the stairs talking to someone he called 'my man'.
This went on till he was about 3-4. A friend asked him if he recognised anyone in a photo & my son pointed to my Dad.
We all thought this was logical as who else would come & talk to my lovely boy but his equally lovely Grandad!

benhamslc Tue 28-Aug-18 10:24:35

Many years ago I made a big announcement ( I was around 4) at a family do that I was going to have a baby brother. My parents denied it all then a month later find out that Mum was pregnant and I did get a brother.

Anniebach Tue 28-Aug-18 10:25:31

My husband died when my elder daughter was 7. When her son was 3/4 he was sitting at his little table in the living room drawing. My daughter who was in the kitchen heard him talking, went into the room, he held up his drawing, it was way above anything a 3 year could do, she said how clever he was , he said’ that policeman said ‘ and pointed into the room. My husband was an art student who joined the police force, we had no photographs in our houses of him in uniform, had never spoken of his dead grandfather to him, This happened several times after , daughter would ask who are you talking to, he would reply ‘the policeman’

blueberry1 Tue 28-Aug-18 10:35:02

My son would often tell me,when he woke from his afternoon nap,that a funny little man with a hat on had been dancing by his cot.He also used to point at "people" in the street and say "look at that man!" when there was no-one there.It always seemed to amuse him so I didn't worry about it.I do think children are so receptive to the "otherness" of this world.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Aug-18 10:37:34

When my Mum died one of my GC told his Mum that she came into his bedroom at night and talked, played and read him stories. This went on for several months, until one morning he announced that 'Old Nanny' has gone away because it was time for her to look after Grandma (me).

Unfortunately I have not had any dreams of her, but I have felt her around me sometimes and had an abundance of white feathers appear.

Solitaire Tue 28-Aug-18 10:49:07

My grandson was 4 yrs old when he announced to a full room of family members "Gran is going to die when she's 88".
I asked how old he would be then and he said 30...and he was right!

Craftycat Tue 28-Aug-18 10:59:02

My neighbour's child talked with the old lady with the bed in the corner of her bedroom. The lady who lived there before had her bed there & it was where she died. The girl said the old lady did not like her there as it was the lady's room.
They got a spiritulist in who 'explained to old lady that she was dead' & the girl never saw the old woman again. The childwas only 3 so didn't know anything about this.
Very odd.

starbird Tue 28-Aug-18 11:09:59

There are those who say that it is “energy”. Everything has an energy field - which is what diviners pick up if looking for water, oil, etc. It is not surprising that a person might leave ‘energy’ behind, and children are particularly susceptible to it.

petra Tue 28-Aug-18 11:15:07

My daughter and I are still trying to work out my granddaughter.
One day walking along the seafront she told us that she drowned out there (pointing out to sea)
The odd part is, is that she literally is a water baby. No fear whatsoever, wants to go in no matter what the weather.
But, she is terrified of walking down the pier where you can see through the planking, and, the same when I take her to our friends boat, walking down the gangplank.
Walking home from school one day she asked my daughter if she would be her mummy next time she came back.

petra Tue 28-Aug-18 11:16:47

Starbird
It's a shame that we loose that 'sight' as we get older

Coconut Tue 28-Aug-18 11:29:49

We live in a big old house, DD, SIL and GS in the main house, me in the Granny annexe. I often felt a “ presence” but so as not to freak DD I didn’t mention it. One evening she came into me after checking upstairs why her little boy was moving about and not asleep. He had said “ I’m counting all my teddies as that person with the white bag keeps coming in my room and I don’t want them to take my toys” ....