Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Trying to avoid using the AIBU thread!

(32 Posts)
phoenix Mon 10-Sep-18 20:12:13

Evening all, and sending every good wish.

Now, although many GN members disapprove, I do use that online ordering company with the name of a long river wink

However, of late I have been somewhat miffed by their packing habits. Actually, for " miffed" read pretty pissed off and rather angry

I order a month's supply of cat food pouches. The pouches themselves come packed in their own sturdy cardboard boxes, each containing 40 pouches.

The 3 sturdy boxes are placed within another sturdy box for delivery. Fair enough. smile

But does that box need to have umpteen of those air filled plastic cushions things inside it, and be labelled "fragile" on the outside confused

Today, my delivery of 2 fitted sheets arrived, and although (thank goodness) they were not labelled "fragile" on the outside (in fact there was some sort of adhesive tape trying to persuade me that Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher was available to me as a Prime Member, erm, don't think so, have read a few of the books, and from what I can recall Jack Reacher was a tall chap, who had not displayed any tendencies towards odd religions or putting hamsters up his bottom, (yes, I know that Jack Reacher is a fictional character, and Tom Cruise is an actor, but there is only so far that one can suspend belief).

Anyway, the box the sheets came in was also kitted out with those bloody air filled things!

WHY???

They are sheets, folded over cardboard, and then wrapped in thick plastic stuff, what on earth are the air filled things supposed to do, other than give me more stuff to send to landfill?

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Sep-18 20:40:49

I ordered a yoga mat - not the most fragile of items. It arrived, rolled up, in an enormous box stuffed with lots of brown paper, reams and reams of the stuff. Well, at least it was paper!

I suppose I could save the huge box for use if I move house.

kathsue Mon 10-Sep-18 21:25:30

I've had a couple of over-large boxes recently stuffed with miles of scrunched up brown paper. I've spent hours straightening out the paper and folding it neatly so that it'll fit in the recycling bin!

JudyJudy12 Mon 10-Sep-18 21:32:27

Last week I ordered a birthday card and some coasters the arrived in a box bigger than a shoe box with the air filled things.

NfkDumpling Mon 10-Sep-18 21:37:54

I received a game Saturday. Mancala for DGD’s birthday. In it’s wooden box, inside it’s own presentation thick cardboards box inside a big box stuffed with scrumpled brown paper. But all the paper was on the top, leaving the present right at the bottom corner. Took me some time to find it!

I understood that firm with the name that’s the same as a big river was cutting down on it’s packaging.

Maggiemaybe Mon 10-Sep-18 21:51:27

Not the same company, but at work we’d have our postage stamps delivered from an online office supplies company. A few A4 sheets of said stamps, sitting at the bottom of a box big enough to contain a small desk, kept firmly in place by roll upon roll of air-filled plastic.

Helpnana Mon 10-Sep-18 22:02:11

Stop purchasing from amazon!

Anniebach Mon 10-Sep-18 22:02:32

I ordered a throw from the same company, cardboard box, those huge bubble things , plastic and ribbon .

luluaugust Mon 10-Sep-18 22:12:18

Huge box arrived for OH, after much carry on unwrapping a small battery appeared!

petra Mon 10-Sep-18 22:27:00

So is it safe now to come out of the closet and admit to ordering from AMAZON grin
Because, not many months ago this was a hanging offence wink

callgirl1 Mon 10-Sep-18 22:57:38

I order regularly from Amazon, and nothing and nobody will talk me out of it. Sorry if it upsets people.

paddyann Mon 10-Sep-18 23:03:51

I order from Amzon too ,I'm 20 miles from the nearest big town and I dont drive .Its much simpler to order online and even get it delivered to my MIL or my daughter .I know all the reasons I shouldn't use them BUT I've boycotted umpteen companies for one thing or another over the years and it makes not a bit of difference they still prosper and I merely go without !

Chewbacca Mon 10-Sep-18 23:09:58

I hate buying anything from The Company Named After A Very Long River but, having spent weeks trying to track down the replacement kettle I needed, and failed, I had to order from the afore mentioned company. I cannot fault the speed and efficiency of despatch. But the HUGE cardboard box that it arrived in, which had hundreds of polystyrene pebbles packed around the cardboard box that the kettle was already in, took an awful lot of disposing of. There was absolutely no need for all that protective packaging, it's just a waste of resources.

ffinnochio Tue 11-Sep-18 07:34:10

If one orders on-line, one gets packaging!
There’s a very simple way to stop it.

Ordering from the comfort of home, having it delivered to your door ... all within 24hrs if desired.... FFS! How dare companies not pack in accordance with one’s whims!

Elegran Tue 11-Sep-18 08:37:22

I suspect that they have cut down on the variety of packaging they use and now only use a few sizes of box, so they have to fill the gaps with the air sacs and polystyrene pebbles.

If you stab the air sacs they take up less space in the bin, or let a child stamp on them, great fun.

I wonder whether those polystyrene bubbles are any use for insulation?

travelsafar Tue 11-Sep-18 08:39:27

We keep the boxes and the packaging sometimes.

They are very useful for sending off items you sell on E Bay or to family far away at Xmas or for Birthdays.

Someof the packaging make excellent insulation for use in the greenhouse over the winter months, I use bubble wrap around pots and use the 'airbags' to build a little wall along the back of the racking it helps to stop the cold coming in and harming plants stored over winter.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-Sep-18 08:42:40

Packaging is a pain when ordering on line from Amazon. I do use them though as sometimes it is the only way to get what you need quickly.

Anniebach Tue 11-Sep-18 08:47:26

I buy almost everything from Amazon, can’t get out to shop, have no one to shop for me unless I pay £20, ordered a hot water bottle yesterday £9, if I asked a shopper to get me one from town - £29.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 11-Sep-18 08:52:24

Some of the air-filled packaging is marked as 4 or 2 for recycling, in which case I stab it and put it in for recycling with plastic bags at Tesco. We never take carrier bags (never did) but there is still polythene wrapping from magazines and bags from cheese or meat. I understand that if you try to put a finger through the plastic and it stretches to start with, rather than tearing straight away, it can be recycled.

Auntieflo Tue 11-Sep-18 09:09:20

I ordered curtains from that Sparks place. They came wrapped in air sacs! As well as being wrapped around cardboard and plastic bag wrapped. One pair to a box??
The other place that uses miles of brown paper, is the Watery place ! that is a huge tourist destination. Mind you, that is good for parcel wrap, and C*******s paper, adorned with ribbon and bows.

ffinnochio Tue 11-Sep-18 09:55:43

I find stabbing the air bags immensely satisfying, Elegran!

henetha Tue 11-Sep-18 10:27:10

What's wrong with Amazon? Have I missed something?
I order from them sometimes.

HildaW Tue 11-Sep-18 12:49:51

I think some people consider Amazon anathema because of its shoddy Tax position and its very poor employment record.

Jalima1108 Tue 11-Sep-18 13:20:47

Unfortunately, even though we may have misgivings, it is sometimes the only option.

HildaW Tue 11-Sep-18 13:45:10

....and is that not a worry?