Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Tampax advice for young GD please

(26 Posts)
grannysue05 Wed 19-Sep-18 13:20:06

Can you help me please.
My 13 year old GD started periods at age 11 years and has used pads ever since.
She is at secondary school now and is virtually the only girl in her form who does not use internal protection.
She has asked for my help in choosing and using Tampax style products as school pals have not been forthcoming.
My DS is a single Dad ... there is no Mum on the scene. Aunties live too far away to actively help.
I am almost eighty and my Tampax days are a distant dream.
I do not know what to buy for her as she is so young. I am sure products have been updated.
Can anyone advise me?
Thank-you.

OldMeg Wed 19-Sep-18 13:23:45

grannysue it might help if you READ THIS

Doodle Wed 19-Sep-18 13:31:04

grannysue good link from oldmeg. Also GD could use some lubricant like KY jelly to help slide the tampon in.

paddyann Wed 19-Sep-18 14:03:03

ask at the chemist ,find a nice assistant who will be happy to advise on what she needs .There are slim tampons for teenagers avialable .

MiniMoon Wed 19-Sep-18 14:28:30

My DD uses a menstrual cup, (moon cup). Have a look at the link below. They are much more environmentally friendly than tampons. My DD finds herself very comfortable.

store.lunette.com/pages/teens

MiniMoon Wed 19-Sep-18 14:29:24

DD finds her's comfortable.

gillybob Wed 19-Sep-18 14:54:53

There are lots of mini tampons on the market these days, some with neat “pull out” applicators too. I remember being very self conscious about using pads at school and remember buying a few boxes of tampons to practise on before getting it right. I think it’s s case of getting it in a comfortable position. Maybe you could buy a few boxes for your DGD to practise on Grannysue

gillybob Wed 19-Sep-18 14:56:29

www.lil-lets.co.uk/products/tampons/compact-applicator-tampons

These ones are very small and compact .

Nanabilly Wed 19-Sep-18 17:03:38

I'm certain I saw a new tampon for teenagers in the aisles in Tesco last week.
It might be a good idea to get the pharmacist or someone from school staff to have a word with her if you feel unable to but do have a try first and go along to the supermarket and take a look with her too . I remember my first time of using a tampax ..I was in the loo for what seemed like ages and faffed about forever due to dryness so a lubricant of some sort might help . Has she looked on YouTube for any info officials on there . You can find all sorts on there so You Never know .?

Nelliemoser Wed 19-Sep-18 17:51:53

In her circumstances could she talk to a nurse practioner at the surgery? (My mum could not even bring herself to even talk about them.)

Nanagem Wed 19-Sep-18 18:07:28

My daughter has always found tampax to be best, she 19 and used them from about 13/14. They do a teenage selection, I went to boots and got her a starter kit which had a little carry case and some wipes and things in, don’t know if they still do it. Anyway, word of advice, start her small size, and wear a pad with to allow for leaking, then build up to the size that suits. My daughter always used pads only at night, because I did, don’t know why now !, start her when she is at home for a few days if pos, to get use to them, and remind her to relax, if she can’t do it then go back to pads for a few hours and try again . My daughter now uses a cup, never used one myself, and not keen on her using it at first, but she swears by it now, been using it for a couple of years.

Oh last thing, make sure she changes regularly, it’s easy to forget your wearing them !.

Hope that helps., good luck

SueDonim Wed 19-Sep-18 18:32:23

My Dd found Tampax Pearl the best ones to use. She couldn't get the hang of tampons at all but finally succeeded with these ones.

I always preferred Lillets for myself esp as they didn't have applicators but it's all about finding the one which suits you.

Pittcity Wed 19-Sep-18 18:50:08

I used to use a cup, but wouldn't recommend it to a young teenager. You need to know your way around to fit it properly IYSWIM.
Start with the applicator tampons as recommended above.

notanan2 Wed 19-Sep-18 18:54:08

Cups are more "in" and trendy but IMO its probably easier to transition from tampon to cup. Cups are intimidating.

Thinx are another option. Great for school and no TSS risks

Make sure she is aware of toxic shock signs. It happens more often than you think! & make sure she knows how to flush them

Also, just because he friends SAY they dont use pads, doesnt mean its true. Its also worth noting that a lot of tampon users wear pads AS WELL. And when she is trying tampons initially she should too.

Tampons always made my cramps/periods worse and harder to manage. Pads are fine if she is happy using them.

NEVER use a higher absorbancy than she needs with the aim to leave it in longer. Tampons must be changed regularly even if flow is light. Too absorbent for her flow will dry her vagina too much and cause other problems. Start with the smallest/lowest flow tampon then buy higher flow if thats not enough. Making sure to go back down to low flow at the start/end of a period when less is needed even if she is using higher flow in the middle

notanan2 Wed 19-Sep-18 18:55:35

& make sure she knows how to flush them

"Not" to. Even if it says on the box that you can

notanan2 Wed 19-Sep-18 18:59:57

www.shethinx.com

GrandmaMoira Wed 19-Sep-18 19:05:45

I bought my granddaughters Lillets and checked with the assistant in Boots that these were suitable for a young girl. Both the 10 and 12 year olds have used them when swimming and found them easy. They wear pads the rest of the time.

Newmom101 Wed 19-Sep-18 19:51:40

Tampax are a better way to go. More brands of pads are being unnecessarily perfumed these days, and I've found the cause a skin reaction for me. I also know a lot of women who have complained of the same, and seen it mentioned a lot online. Similarly, I've had the same problem with tampax pearl. Although they are smaller, they've caused me a lot of irritation, I think it may be due to the plastic applicators, the standard tampax with cardboard applicators may be easier.

I would just advise her to use the lowest level for her flow, change every few hours (no more than 8 I believe) and to still use pads overnight.

twiglet77 Wed 19-Sep-18 20:01:59

I (and my now-adult DDs) had very heavy periods and Tampax applicator tampons leaked more than any other brand any of us ever used. Lillets were best for us, with an Always pad when the flow was heaviest. When I started, though, it was in the days of towels with loops, and wearing an elastic belt to attach them to. Thank goodness things have moved on. Your DGD is lucky to have you to help her through this, well done for addressing it with her.

grannysue05 Thu 20-Sep-18 14:29:33

Thank you all so much for the solid advice.
GD and I watched the Lillets video last night and she found that helpful and said that she didn't find the whole thing so scary now.
We plan to go to Boots on Saturday and buy the smallest size and go from there.
I have taken on board the need for a lubricant also.
smile

notanan2 Thu 20-Sep-18 17:30:15

Also echo what others said about avoiding scented products. They dont always clearly state that theyre scented so check if you get a waft when theyre opened

agnurse Fri 21-Sep-18 20:34:34

You can advise her (in case she's concerned) that it's not possible to put it in the wrong place or lose it inside of you.

Th anal opening is too far toward the back and the urethra is too small to accommodate a tampon. (As my username suggests, I'm a nurse. Believe me, it's hard enough to find a woman's urethra when you're LOOKING for it and urinary catheters are a fraction the width of a tampon!)

A tampon can't get lost inside you because there isn't anywhere it can go. The cervix doesn't open enough to allow it in. The worst I've seen is the string come off, but a vaginal speculum and a pair of forceps sorted that in about 2 minutes.

If she finds tampons very uncomfortable she should probably use a smaller size. If she finds that they're too painful to insert I'd recommend you take her to see her provider. Some women and girls have a condition called provocative vulvodynia. The vulva in these women is very sensitive and light touch can cause pain. It's thought to be due to tight muscles causing pressure on the nerves. Fortunately it is very treatable with medications and physical therapy. If she does have issues it's best to get it treated right away. (This condition affects about 10% of women so it's not that uncommon.)

Nanabilly Sat 22-Sep-18 02:38:22

Get across to the young lady the importance of making sure the last tampon is removed as toxic shock is awful .. I had it and was on a cocktail of drugs for a few weeks and felt lousy for weeks after. Even my tongue swelled with The toxic shock .
The smell on having it removed by my gp has never left my memory either.
Easily done though!

annep Sat 22-Sep-18 05:09:24

I could not get the hang of applicators and the more I tried the tighter and drier I got. Lillets solved the problem as you just push them in with your finger. I too wore pads at night. simpler and no toxic shock to worry about. And make sure you remove each one. I rhink you have a really good relationship with your granddaughter.

notanan2 Sat 22-Sep-18 10:07:01

When it comes to applicater/non applicator neither is easier/better (unless she is environmentally minded)

Everyone's anatomy is different so different types work for different shapes