Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Retirement Gift Ideas

(31 Posts)
clementine Wed 19-Sep-18 19:31:51

Hi everyone , one of my best friend's has retired and I wanted to buy her a personal gift as I have also retired but quite a while ago so wasn't able to contribute to the main gift , and anyway I would still want to buy her something myself .

Problem is , she never wears makeup , perfume I think , but that's a very personal thing, and has no hobbies or interests that I could buy something for . Her life revolves round caring for her six grandchildren and she places herself very low down the list of priorities so I would really like to treat her to something special. I know she would hate any kind of beauty treatment and is inclined to give things she's been bought to her daughters .

I am leaning towards jewellery , I teamed up with another friend and we bought her a watch for her 60th which she loved , so I know that jewellery might be a safe bet. Just wondered if there was anything else that anyone could perhaps suggest. Many thanks .

Sheis1948 Wed 10-Oct-18 17:56:58

Does she love roses? I recently purchased a Gold rose for my friend's mom and she really liked it. It's surely a unique gift. smile She will always remember you as this rose can be displayed and can serve as a memorabilia. If this won't work, I believe they also have plated rose jewelries. I found it on this link: www.anniversarygiftsbyyear.org/

I hope this helps! Good luck. smile

Lilyflower Sun 23-Sep-18 06:16:16

National Trust subscription if there are nearby properties?

BRedhead59 Sat 22-Sep-18 16:28:39

River pearls - they are interesting and unusual

HellsBells Sat 22-Sep-18 14:52:47

My daughter has a company called Dont Buy Her Flowers - which you can google and has gift ideas which would be suitable for retirement

Lancslass1 Sat 22-Sep-18 13:29:03

I'm with JessK.
Afternoon tea at a nice hotel.
If you wanted to spend more you could take some flowers with you
I wouldn't buy jewellery -too personal and you might buy something you think she will love but she doesn't.

Another idea is to buy her an orchid.
I have dendrobium orchids that are years old but keep flowering.
I buy them online.
Excellent value.

Omaoma57 Sat 22-Sep-18 13:04:31

I bought a friend some trees that were planted in her name. She can visit and so can her family .... in the future!

lemongrove Sat 22-Sep-18 12:56:49

A lovely ceramic or terracotta garden pot or set of? A stone birdbath ( plenty of attractive ones at garden centres who will deliver it.)

GabriellaG Sat 22-Sep-18 12:53:50

Miss A's suggestion is excellent. A professional framed photo with all of her GC. grin

Tish Sat 22-Sep-18 12:34:38

Depending on your budget and you know how she has decorated her home, perhaps some lovely bed linen?

B9exchange Sat 22-Sep-18 12:26:13

Why not make up a book of 'vouchers' for trips together, NT houses, pub lunches, cinema, etc, what ever you enjoy doing together, and invite her to 'cash one in' whenever she likes during the course of a year, the idea being you agree to each one as she chooses it, you don't have to pay for them all. Will give her something to look forward to?
The other present I gave someone which was really well received was a coffee table book of world 'bucket list' places to plan to go and see, if she likes travel?

Scribbles Sat 22-Sep-18 12:17:43

Does your friend have a garden? If so, you could give her an assortment of spring flowering bulbs so she'll be reminded of you year after year smile. You said she doesn't have any hobbies but you don't have to be an avid gardener to shove a few bulbs in the ground!

jane1956 Sat 22-Sep-18 12:15:28

there is a Happy retirement rose lovely pink flower was bought one earlier this year when I retired.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 22-Sep-18 12:13:51

Could you give her something she could use when looking after the grandchildren?

Depending on their ages and whether she has a garden, some outdoor toys, a digital camera, books with suggestions and instructions for making Christmas decorations or whatever else would fit in with their interests?

moleswife Sat 22-Sep-18 11:35:51

My friend was planning, when she had the time, to do some craft activities so I bught her an introductory short craft course that she enjoyed very much.

Hm999 Sat 22-Sep-18 11:11:36

Fragrant rambling rose

Hm999 Sat 22-Sep-18 11:11:08

I gave a friend a rambling rose when she retired.

clementine Sat 22-Sep-18 10:10:38

Thank you so much for all the suggestions . I opted for the jewellery and bought her a lovely pendant ( with gift receipt !) and I will take her for afternoon tea. I was going to get the flower subscription but she is between house moves at the minute and living with her daughter so it would mean a bit of a faff changing addresses mid way or whatever .

JessK Fri 21-Sep-18 09:38:59

Afternoon tea at a lovely hotel

KatyK Fri 21-Sep-18 09:29:33

Someone bought me a magazine subscription when I retired. It was a lovely gift.

tiredoldwoman Thu 20-Sep-18 19:10:00

Your friend sounds a wee bit like me , so I would say earrings and the bun tea !

GillT57 Thu 20-Sep-18 16:15:39

Dependant upon your budget, there are subscriptions where you have flowers delivered say every 2 months, and if she is a reader, there are book subscriptions that post a new book every month. Or what about a kindle if she likes to read?

clementine Thu 20-Sep-18 14:57:46

Great idea's thanks so much . I am leaning towards a piece of jewellery and the afternoon tea , she doesn't drink but loves a nice bun !

NanKate Thu 20-Sep-18 08:21:52

Clementine I would make on the computer a personal invitation for two to a Champagne Cream Tea at some really nice Hotel or restaurant if she doesn’t like flashy places. She can then choose who she takes with her.

ginny Thu 20-Sep-18 08:12:12

As she diesn’t Seem to be one for ‘girlie’ type things, I’d go for theatre tickets and maybe a meal before or after. Making new memories.

MissAdventure Wed 19-Sep-18 23:21:17

You could pay for a family photograph to be done?