Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How can I stop the oven door closing on me??

(31 Posts)
Kateykrunch Sat 03-Nov-18 11:54:04

New cooker, old house, uneven everything, so I cant actually get the cooker to sit completely level, so if it looks nice and even the door just closes (obviously dangerous) and for the door to not close on me then the cooker looks ridiculous! Surely there must be something I can do to get it asthetically pleasing and safe, any ideas please. Currently needs 2 of us to get anything out of a hot oven!!

MawBroon Sat 03-Nov-18 12:08:27

We used to live in a 17th c farmhouse without a right angle in the place and we had wooden wedges everywhere under furniture etc.
But doesn’t your cooker have self levelling feet (I know my fridge does)

Eglantine21 Sat 03-Nov-18 12:08:58

I had this problem in a rented flat. The oven door was metal and swung right back to the adjoining kitchen unit so I stuck a magnet to the unit with Command fixings that peeled off easily when I left.

When the oven door was fully open it attached itself to the magnet, if you see what I mean.

Cherrytree59 Sat 03-Nov-18 12:18:34

Had aimilar problem with washing machine in daughters house (rocking and rolling)
She has now placed a sheet of plywood under machine.
Found easier to get the wood level on uneven tiles.
The washing machine feet were much easier to adjust on a flat surface.

EllanVannin Sat 03-Nov-18 12:25:49

Shove a few £50 notes under it,hahahaha. It should have levels underneath I know mine has along with other white goods which are free-standing.

MissAdventure Sat 03-Nov-18 12:38:00

www.amazon.co.uk/Lightweight-levelling-adjustable-furniture-sliders/dp/B00NDSR5KE?tag=gransnetforum-21
Maybe these kind of things would do the trick?

M0nica Sat 03-Nov-18 13:44:40

My cooker, and most cookers, have adjustable feet, so check the cooker instructions, online, if you do not have a paper copy. It will say whether your model has them and how to adjust them.

Otherwise wedges, home-made or bought or several thicknesses of cardboaurd bound together with sellotape.

Kateykrunch Sat 03-Nov-18 14:01:23

Thanks for the responses, but the problem is if I have it level it looks daft as nothing else is level, so I need it unlevel but looking nice hence this causes the door to close on me, I was just wondering if anyone knew a fix. Eglatine, thanks for your idea, may have to give that a go.

MissAdventure Sat 03-Nov-18 14:05:22

Ah, I see what you mean now.
I have to have everything level 'by eye' in my flat.
If things are put up using a spirit level everything ends up skew whiff.

Kateykrunch Sat 03-Nov-18 14:08:12

MissAdventure, exactly, hubby would be happy with everything level per spirit level, but we would be living on a tilt and it would drive me bonkers lol

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Nov-18 14:40:27

this causes the door to close on me
I imagined you sitting inside the oven then the door closes on you - make sure it's turned off first Kateykrunch.

Seriously, the oven needs to be level even if everything else is skew wiff. A spirit level is required!

SpringyChicken Sat 03-Nov-18 14:56:10

I'm with you Jalimal, the oven ought to be level. I suppose it's far too late to level the adjacent units? Can you put some beading down the sides to disguise the gap?

Auntieflo Sat 03-Nov-18 15:12:12

Can’t help with how to get your cooker aesthetically pleasing and door opening/ closing etc.
What I was wondering was , how do you manage to level the feet of an appliance when it is in situ? When anything is pushed back into place, you can’t get to the feet at the back, or are the self levelling feet only at the front?
Sorry to sound daft.

SpringyChicken Sat 03-Nov-18 16:26:27

Lots of ovens do have four feet, Auntieflo. I imagine you'd start with all feet set to the same height, push the oven into place and see what it's like. Probably some pulling in and out and trial and error needed if the floor isn't level. Or make sure the floor is completely level first, then set the feet all to the same height.

Auntieflo Sat 03-Nov-18 16:45:51

Thanks, although it sounds like a bit of a faff. Glad my kitchen fitters did all the manouevering. ?

stree Sat 03-Nov-18 17:18:07

You don`t need a spirit level, you could use a bowl of water ( pref with stripes or lines inside ) and check how level water is with the rim.
We have a washer that "walks" at 1400 spin sometimes and of course the floor is slightly different in places ( old cottage) so it bounces about. Solved that with levelling bags from Lidl.
These are small very tough rubber bags, flat to begin with, and you attach supplies tube and rubber bulb and pump until the machine is level, then detach tube. Re-attach and press button to deflate.
Bags are about 6 inches square and can lift 2 tons.
PS. If your oven is gas, door MUST be closed fully to deal with fumes.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 03-Nov-18 17:59:20

If your oven isn't level you will run the risk of the one side of a cake or roast burning and the other side looking all right.

You can level a roast by putting a saucer or the lid of a Mason jar under it, but there is d*mn all you can do about bread or cakes, so I would rather live with the oven looking squint than being squint.

Kateykrunch Sun 04-Nov-18 10:41:00

Oh my goodness, I have read these solutions to OH, why is he in hysterics about the bread and cakes lol. I am such a terrible wife, never made either in my life. Btw, the levelling is easy done, but thats not the problem, it needs to be unlevel like the rest of the house hence the door closes, so for moment, oven gloves and large door stop when in and out the oven, seems daft it taking two of us, (one to hold the door one to take the cake and bread out), that last bit is a fib x

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Nov-18 11:03:41

um, you could suggest that you go out to eat every day grin

Sweetie222 Sat 10-Nov-18 09:48:55

Think I've solved it!

Keep a small item, bottle top, cork etc. next to cooker and wedge it into the hinge side of the door when it's open.

Almost anything would work, silicone item or ball of foil etc.

I have a similar problem with fridge door, although that's just irritating instead of dangerous, tried it and it works.

SpringyChicken Sat 10-Nov-18 10:01:35

That sounds like the best fix, Sweetie. Great idea, so simple.

Kateykrunch Sun 11-Nov-18 16:57:03

Thanks for your help!, but it looks like the cooker has got to be put level and straight and Hubby is going to set about making the rest of the kitchen cock-eyed, he will start by removing the worktops along side and raising the base unit. What could go wrong?, do I even need a cooker if I dont bake cakes and bread?, oh well........

Sweetie222 Mon 12-Nov-18 19:08:57

Hmmm ... does this mean that all the other doors will either swing open or closed? What about the fridge/freezer? Washing machine unbalanced?

All the best with this!

Kateykrunch Mon 12-Nov-18 19:23:52

Oh my goodness Sweetie, I had never thought of that!!!, may also need grappling hooks to get from one side of kitchen to tother lol

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Nov-18 19:24:02

I cannot see this OP flashing past when I skim the threads without visualising Kateykrunch peering anxiously out of the oven waiting for a kind Gransnetter to come and let her out.

Sorry, Kateykrunch.