Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone planning to exercise today?

(98 Posts)
Riverwalk Fri 30-Nov-18 08:07:37

I'm feeling very slobby - done no walking for the past two days.

Need to get lazy bum into gear, get dressed and out the door! Planning to do a 90 minute walk, clear the cobwebs and burn off a few calories. smile

Just have another coffee first cafe

travelsafar Fri 30-Nov-18 08:15:12

Ha ha i know that feeling, i am walking today as well especialy as it is dry and supposed to be sunny a bit later.

BlueBelle Fri 30-Nov-18 08:20:49

Yes I am I m going to walk to the bus stop and I m going to walk from the bus stop to the new vegan bistro that my friend and I are trying out today ?

lemongrove Fri 30-Nov-18 08:24:35

Does riffling through a books pages count? Bookclub later with tea and cake ( so a bit of teacup lifting as well) smile

lemongrove Fri 30-Nov-18 08:25:12

The weather will need to improve here for any walking.

Auntieflo Fri 30-Nov-18 08:34:56

Yes, definitely. I am going to lift my mug and finish my tea, then do a leg lift and hip swing, out of bed. Swift march along landing to the bathroom and high? step into the shower. Swift finger manouevering of the shower buttons. Body swivelling, whilst shampoo and soaping, bending down to reach nether regions. Hop out of shower, vigorous towelling down. Pampering and creaming. Wielding of big hairdryer. March downstairs, operate toaster and teapot. Eat. Tramp upstairs, pummel bedding, shake duvet and pillows, and make bed.
That’s enough for me, for now. Quite exhaustet, just thinking about it thanks.
Enjoy your walk Riverwalk. (I will be with you in spirit)

Maggiemaybe Fri 30-Nov-18 08:35:10

I’m planning on a bit of yogalates in my front room and a brisk walk down to the shops later to look for some more Christmas dishes. That’s only about a mile and a half, but it’s up a killer hill on the way back.

sodapop Fri 30-Nov-18 08:38:16

lemongrove that sounds like a perfect day to me, definitely my sort of exercise.

janeainsworth Fri 30-Nov-18 08:44:10

I’m going to have a purposeful walk round the shops in Newcastle, then have lunch with two friends and then get my hair done.
All the chatting with my friends and Ken my hairdresser will be exhausting grin

EllanVannin Fri 30-Nov-18 08:57:17

I don't do walking on my own. Before my friend took ill it gave me a purpose to walk as we used to meet up,coffee and a bite and we'd walk and talk.
Since her passing last year I've felt lost and above all apart from local shops and the odd longer walk ( weather permitting ) to the supermarket I don't bother going anywhere as the motivation to do so has gone.
Friend and I travelled a lot both home and abroad and were never still as we liked to explore the places where we stayed.

I know I need to keep mobile as it's important for the circulation but where is the incentive when you're on your own ? I'm quite agile and do balancing on one leg ( indoors ) get up from the armchair without using the arms etc. These are more strengthening exercises but walking is what I miss.

Anniebach Fri 30-Nov-18 09:03:07

Yes, younger daughter visited me yesterday, has given me a walking routine, living room to bedroom ten times with walking aid, no sneaky sit on the bed or sofa.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 30-Nov-18 09:06:26

Well I have just cancelled out of my gym class - builders / decorators have finally departed and I need to get house back to normal!!!

silverlining48 Fri 30-Nov-18 09:10:17

Ellen you must miss your friend. It’s hard. You seem to be missing walking too.
There are walking groups around if you look into it, some for health run by the local councils, and those who walk are generally older.
Ours is very friendly and some of the group are in their 80s, but they are still very fit. Why not see what’s about in your area. You never know, it’s worth a try.

silverlining48 Fri 30-Nov-18 09:11:27

Sorry ellan not Ellen, my iPad has a mind of it’s own.

DoraMarr Fri 30-Nov-18 09:20:01

ellan you might find U3A in your area has walking groups.
I’m planning to push my sturdy one year old grandson round the park today, and lift him in and out of the swing. Then I am going to do some Tai Chi exercises while he is having his nap. Or, sit on the sofa and drink tea.
Annie, that sounds like a good routine!

TerriBull Fri 30-Nov-18 09:27:24

Yes me! I go to the gym to walk on the treadmill for about 30 minutes (it's well boring! as my kids were prone to say when they were youngsters about anything and everything) but I bring my earphones and try and watch something like "Politics Today" or whatever happens to be on, then I do some load bearing exercises, advised for bone density. I'd much rather walk in the park, which we also do, but I do feel better if I do the gym about 4 times a week. Occasionally I'll go swimming instead of the gym. I also do 25 minute yoga online sessions a couple of times a week, usually at week-ends when I don't go to the gym.

Chewbacca Fri 30-Nov-18 09:40:16

Excercise? Today? hmm No!

KatyK Fri 30-Nov-18 09:47:03

It's a lovely day here after a couple of nasty ones, so I'll force myself to go for a walk.

lemongrove Fri 30-Nov-18 09:49:14

Auntyflo grin that sounds a little too vigorous for me!

Teetime Fri 30-Nov-18 09:58:17

It would normally be a golf day but I have chosen to have my nails done instead so I shall walk into town (the long way) and then back then go in again later for the fireworks and Xmas lights switch on. Much more fun than golf.

EllanVannin Fri 30-Nov-18 10:15:28

Sounds like an idea Silverlining. Thankyou for that suggestion as I will go into it.

Don't apologise for the mis-spelling as my middle name is Ellen anyway,the Ellan is Manx.

Thankyou also to DoraMarr.

Squiffy Fri 30-Nov-18 10:16:13

Mañana . . . . . tchblush

sue01 Fri 30-Nov-18 10:48:42

Gorgeous day here in rural Northants, so I scooped up my 82 year old friend and we toddled along the Canal Towpath for an hour. Lovely !

Lyndal66 Fri 30-Nov-18 10:53:35

Hi I’m a member of our council run walks. Been going two years now. Just turn up and walk, no booking. Various grades of walk and all abilities.
Go for it...... and it’s free

DanniRae Fri 30-Nov-18 10:53:53

In a word..........NO!! wink